CANADA Canada - Steven Mylan, 20, Mississauga, Ont, 13 Feb 1998

8truthseeker8

Reaction score
Have there been any rule-outs?

I have been following this case for awhile and periodically check the Doe Network's missing persons.

I was perusing the Doe Network and stumbled upon this gentlemen. (It was the eyebrows and crooked nose that got me)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3362dmon.html

Steven entered the United States on Valentines Day, 1998 from Canada (perhaps he was meeting a significant other, running away together on Valentines Day) his car was later found abandoned.

Could "Lyle" have lived in the United States from 98-2001 with someone and perhaps that someone either severed the relationship or died (possibly on September 11) then "Lyle" distraught, took a bus, possibly going to a location that the 2 of them used to frequent? he paced back and forth, back and forth contemplating if he could return home.....was there any other way????

He had been away from Canada so long that he was ashamed to return.

Per the doenetwork, in reference to Steven......"His parents have informed investigators this behaviour is out of character for Steven and are at a loss as to the reasons for his disappearance." They were oblivious to his love affair....

**another weird coincidence...... if you rearrange his name, it almost spells Lyle Stevik (I know..... I am reaching here!)

Have there been any rule-outs?

I have been following this case for awhile and periodically check the Doe Network's missing persons.

I was perusing the Doe Network and stumbled upon this gentlemen. (It was the eyebrows and crooked nose that got me)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3362dmon.html

Steven entered the United States on Valentines Day, 1998 from Canada (perhaps he was meeting a significant other, running away together on Valentines Day) his car was later found abandoned.

Could "Lyle" have lived in the United States from 98-2001 with someone and perhaps that someone either severed the relationship or died (possibly on September 11) then "Lyle" distraught, took a bus, possibly going to a location that the 2 of them used to frequent? he paced back and forth, back and forth contemplating if he could return home.....was there any other way????

He had been away from Canada so long that he was ashamed to return.

Per the doenetwork, in reference to Steven......"His parents have informed investigators this behaviour is out of character for Steven and are at a loss as to the reasons for his disappearance." They were oblivious to his love affair....

**another weird coincidence...... if you rearrange his name, it almost spells Lyle Stevik (I know..... I am reaching here!)

I think this is very interesting, yet when I clicked on the link to Mr. Mylan's Doe Network page, I just don't really see a resemblance between Mr. Mylan and Mr. "Stevik." Maybe it is just me.
SVMylan.jpg

I thought there was a resemblance, but maybe i am blind. Thought that the eyebrows, nose and lips were similar. I also was thinking that 2 years (or more) may have passed between his morgue pic and any other photos of him that his family may have.

I think that in order to solve this case we have to expand our search a bit??? Was just throwing it out there....

Forgive me..... this case frustrates me. ;)

I thought there was a resemblance, but maybe i am blind. Thought that the eyebrows, nose and lips were similar. I also was thinking that 2 years (or more) may have passed between his morgue pic and any other photos of him that his family may have.

I think that in order to solve this case we have to expand our search a bit??? Was just throwing it out there....

Forgive me..... this case frustrates me. ;)

I feel mean now. I'm sorry. It's probably just me. I think it is definitely a good idea to expand the search, though. "Lyle" is frustrating and fascinating at the same time.

I feel mean now. I'm sorry. It's probably just me. I think it is definitely a good idea to expand the search, though. "Lyle" is frustrating and fascinating at the same time.

Awe! No, please forgive me if I sounded snarky! Sometimes it is hard to understand people's meanings when there is no facial expression to go along with it! ;) (then again, I guess that is what emoticons are for!!! lol)

It just seems like people (detectives, police officers, good samaritans, etc) put in so much time and effort into these cases and I just wish there were resolutions for them all!!! Not only resolutions, but happy ones.

Lyle is especially disconcerting to me because he not only took his own life, but possibly left family members still hoping that he is still alive. The depression he must have felt...... yet the kindness he exuded (leaving money for the room! I mean who does that!!!!)...... totally sad. ;(

So..... no worries!!!! And again, I apologize.

Lyle is especially disconcerting to me because he not only took his own life, but possibly left family members still hoping that he is still alive. The depression he must have felt...... yet the kindness he exuded (leaving money for the room! I mean who does that!!!!)...... totally sad. ;(

He seems like he was a compassionate person. He had to have had a stable family life at one point (unless he was the only stable person in his family), and economically stable. Maybe all the money and finest things in life couldn't keep him happy. I think he wanted to give to people what he maybe didn't have/get.

I think they look alot alike. No mention of an appendectomy scar on Steven, and no mention of a birthmark on Lyle. Those things could've been overlooked, though. Good find! I wonder if Steven's family has a website up for him or anything.

I don't think this is Lyle. Lyle is much taller and should have weighed far more. Hair color doesn't match either (and a little something else confirms that).

I had a dream last night that he was finally identified. I was disappointed when I found out that it never happened.

maybe that means he will be identified soon. I hope so. I feel for him. :( Even though he made not have wanted to be identified..... part of me still thinks that he did in a way...... the pacing back and forth in front of the hotel is what gets me the most....the struggle, the pondering.......

This case haunts me (this one as well as the Sumpter Jane and John Doe). It's like their sadness lingers in the air until their names are known.....

maybe that means he will be identified soon. I hope so. I feel for him. :( Even though he made not have wanted to be identified..... part of me still thinks that he did in a way...... the pacing back and forth in front of the hotel is what gets me the most....the struggle, the pondering.......

This case haunts me (this one as well as the Sumpter Jane and John Doe). It's like their sadness lingers in the air until their names are known.....

I remember seeing someone's commentary about that elsewhere. They thought it was the total opposite of confidence.

I don't think he was waiting for somebody. With all the work he put into his plan, it would destroy the whole point of it.

I can't find archived news clips of Steven's disappearance and subsequent search, but I can tell you that Peel Police don't believe Steven himself actually crossed the border in his vehicle. They can't even confirm that whomever crossed the border even had to show ID other than a birth certificate, and they surely didn't have to be the owner of the vehicle to go across.

Border rules, unfortunately, were not stringent at that time.

Bumping this intriguing missing person case.

http://azdailysun.com/blogs/crimina...cle_492826ec-c742-11e3-a504-001a4bcf887a.html
attachment.php

Steven Mylan was studying business at Humber College in Toronto, Ontario, Canada when he went missing on Feb. 14, 1998.

His family reported him missing, calling Mylan’s disappearance “totally out of character.”

He was 20 years old. He had brown hair, brown eyes, stood 5 feet, 10 inches, and weighed 150 pounds.

His car was found, with the keys still inside, in June 1998 at the overlook at the Little Colorado River north of Flagstaff. Native American jewelry sellers there, who had used the car to drive around, said the car had been at the overlook since February. Nobody had any idea who left the car there.
One angle worked in the case involved another Canadian man who went missing at Grand Canyon National Park at about the same time Mylan went missing. The thought was the two men knew each other. Both men had “complicated” family situations, Sumner said. But several years later, the remains of the other missing man were found off Yavapai Point.

“So that was a dead end,” Sumner said.

The case is a mystery, Sumner added. The search area -- southern Canada all the way to northern Arizona -- is massive, and there are no clues as to where to actually start the search.

“We can’t prove he was the one who left the car there,” Sumner said.

Attachments

• 53519d7a6f0b5.image.jpg
    53519d7a6f0b5.image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 40
Great minds, Dot! I just found this article earlier. I still can't figure out if he's been turned in? DNA is now available for him, just not sure at what level. Do you know if this has been done?

I sent an email to the Lyle's NamUs rep to find out if he's been ruled out, but the rep is out of the office until tomorrow.

The reply I received from the kind NamUs rep about Steven Mylan was that he is not in NamUs and she didn't have any details on his case. She didn't see him as an exclusion but the investigating agencies would have more information on that. She was going to forward my email to investigators on Lyle's case for their review.
(crossposted from the Lyle Stevik thread)

An unidentified man was found in that area last year. I wonder if the items he was found with could have survived all that time? Probably not :/
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
It’s possible. I’m always baffled by some things that seem to withstand the elements better than others. I guess it’s dependent on several variables. There are no rule outs listed for Steven and since there’s not any information as far as height, weight, PMI, etc., I don’t think it would hurt to submit him. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back