SBI probe into possible juror misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursebeeme

Reaction score
The judge presiding over the murder trial of Jason Young has ordered the State Bureau of Investigation to look into possible misconduct involving a juror who might have talked about the case during deliberations.

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens met with prosecutors and defense attorneys about the juror misconduct allegation Tuesday morning. It's unclear how an SBI probe might, if at all, affect the outcome of the trial, and attorneys declined to comment Tuesday on the issue.

Prior to giving jurors the case last week, Stephens ordered them to turn off their cellphones and not to communicate with anyone during deliberations.

Throughout the lengthy trial, he reminded them daily not to discuss the case with anyone and to avoid social networking sites and news coverage of the case so as to avoid any perception of bias and to help maintain the integrity of the justice system.

Early on in the trial, during jury selection, Stephens had to dismiss two jurors for talking about the case.
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/10820046/

Oh. My. God.

I can't even imagine this....

I know I am a big mouth - but I WOULD keep my mouth shut if I were ever to be picked for a jury. (and there's VERY little chance of that happening, I know....)

Really hoping that this incident is minor and had no material impact on the case / decision.

I just heard that. What a complete [insert really inappropriate expletives here] !!!

TBH I think it'll be nothing. Similar allegations and subsequent investigations have happened in other high profile trials and it turned out to be nothing. Someone, maybe even the DT, is grasping at straws. I choose not to worry about this ......yet.

I doubt it was brought to the judges attn until AFTER the guilty verdict!
All 4 men had decided on his guilt Friday. I hope it's nothing!

I doubt it was brought to the judges attn until AFTER the guilty verdict!
All 4 men had decided on his guilt Friday. I hope it's nothing!

From the article, it appears both the prosecution and defense were informed at the same time:

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens met with prosecutors and defense attorneys about the juror misconduct allegation Tuesday morning.

Did you read the WRAL article that stated that "WRAL News reported the posts to Stephens upon finding them Monday afternoon."

Was either the juror or the person to whom they were communicating on GOLO???????

Oh my.

Update:

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens met with prosecutors and defense attorneys about the juror misconduct allegation Tuesday morning after someone posted on WRAL News' Facebook page that a juror was reportedly communicating during deliberations with someone outside the case about the jury's progress.

WRAL News reported the posts to Stephens upon finding them Monday afternoon.

If this happened over the weekend as reported, why was it not reported and addressed MONDAY AM? Prior to the verdict?
Fluff!

Ugh - Facebook. If this changes the outcome of the trial - I will be beyond sick.

I would think that the defense would certainly be trying to get a mistrial...... and it would have to be considered.

This kind of thing just happened in the Tori case....but, it was potential juror who was dismissed, posting on FB.

Oh please, anyone can post anything online. I'm a little more relieved this is something the media reported to the judge after seeing it on their (WRAL) Facebook page.
Doesn't WRAL read the looney birds that post? Jeesh. I guess they felt they had a duty to report it.

This kind of thing just happened in the Tori case....but, it was potential juror who was dismissed, posting on FB.

Well sure if a juror is personally posting on FB about the case, but this is a FB comment from someone who claims that a juror was communicating. And all this after the verdict.
I smell BS.

We'll see.

I want to barf after hearing this news. I am praying it is all a big misunderstanding. Please God, don't let 1 juror undo the hard work of the whole jury and the PT.

from wolf's quote:

after someone posted on WRAL News' Facebook page that a juror was reportedly communicating during deliberations with someone outside the case about the jury's progress.

could also be someone just saying it to be a troll

eta: it wasn't the juror posting on facebook in my understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members