WI WI - Conradina Olsen, 38, Brookfield, 1910

I did a very brief genealogical search and I couldn't find Conradina in any databases prior or up to 1910. But then again, I'm not very good at those kinds of searches.

I remember this on UM. One of numerous interesting cases they covered over their run. It's still the best program that was ever on TV!

I believe I found her in 1900 census (search noted Comelia, writing looks like Conradina). Living in Michigan, Hematite Iron County with husband Carl, sons Edwin, Gus, Harold. Her date of birth is noted Sep 1870, sons born 1894, 1896, 1898. Carl is from Sweden. First 2 sons born in Wisconsin.

Also found a "Charles" and "Concondian" with the same sons, plus 2 year old daughter Lulu in Bayfield Wisconsin in 1905 state census. Have not found anything in 1910 yet but Olson is a very common name.

I've found on many occasions Carls and Charles' being the same person, perhaps Carl is a short form of Charles, like Jno for John. Would help to know her maiden name, more family info if anyone finds another article.

Conradina was my great grandmother. Her maiden name was Heidtmann. She married Carl Johan Olson. She disappeared when my grandfather was 11 or 12. He never knew what happened to her, only that she got on a train and was supposedly going to a doctors appointment. I never believed the grave story in Missouri. Would love to dig some and see if there is any other explanation.

If she said she was going to a doctor, did she also say what the doctor's name was, or where exactly he was located? If so, did they ever follow up to see if she had actually arrived for her appointment, or not even gotten that far?

Even though the case is a very old one, I am hopeful that mitochondrial DNA testing could eventually solve it, if Conradina's remains are ever found.
The unidentified woman found in 1877 is another matter. It's likely that she was never reported missing.

Conradina was my great grandmother. Her maiden name was Heidtmann. She married Carl Johan Olson. She disappeared when my grandfather was 11 or 12. He never knew what happened to her, only that she got on a train and was supposedly going to a doctors appointment. I never believed the grave story in Missouri. Would love to dig some and see if there is any other explanation.

Have you joined Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness on Facebook? There are some very helpful people there. There is also a FB page for black sheep genealogical research as well - I'm not on that one so I don't know the exact name.

I've found on many occasions Carls and Charles' being the same person, perhaps Carl is a short form of Charles, like Jno for John.

Carl is a common Swedish name. When emigrating it was not uncommon for people to change their names to more English sounding variants. Hence Carl. The same is true for the surname. In Swedish Olsen would be spelled Olsson.

I believe I found her in 1900 census (search noted Comelia, writing looks like Conradina). Living in Michigan, Hematite Iron County with husband Carl, sons Edwin, Gus, Harold. Her date of birth is noted Sep 1870, sons born 1894, 1896, 1898. Carl is from Sweden. First 2 sons born in Wisconsin.

Also found a "Charles" and "Concondian" with the same sons, plus 2 year old daughter Lulu in Bayfield Wisconsin in 1905 state census. Have not found anything in 1910 yet but Olson is a very common name.

I've found on many occasions Carls and Charles' being the same person, perhaps Carl is a short form of Charles, like Jno for John. Would help to know her maiden name, more family info if anyone finds another article.

I just Googled it...apparently Carl/Karl is the Swedish version of Charles.

I just Googled it...apparently Carl/Karl is the Swedish version of Charles.

That is correct. It was also very common that Karl/Carl changed name to Charles to better blend in in the American society after emigrating from Sweden. Carl is also common in Norway and Denmark.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I just saw this case on an old episode of UM. I wonder if the family has DNA on file and/or has submitted DNA to Ancestry or any other database. Just in case, on the off chance, she may have left, remarried and had any more children after what appears to be 40 years old or so (when she disappeared).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back