4 Year Old Dies After Found Hanging in Closet

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/miriah-cobbs-4-year-old-hanged_n_1335781.html

4-Year-Old, Dies After Found Hanging In A Closet
The Los Angeles Police Department's Abused Child Unit is investigating the hanging death of a 4-year-old girl in Westchester, Calif.
While the LAPD does not believe foul play was involved, Officer Cleon Joseph explained to the Huffington Post that the child abuse unit investigates all unexplained deaths involving children under the age of 11. In this case, the incident has been deemed a "death investigation" as opposed to a "homicide investigation

How awful...I wonder if he was playing with clothing that was hanging down? I used to live in Westchester...it is (or was ) a pretty nice suburb of LA...FWIW

How awful...I wonder if he was playing with clothing that was hanging down? I used to live in Westchester...it is (or was ) a pretty nice suburb of LA...FWIW

Hey, Clu!
I lived in Westchester/Inglewood area, too, for my first few years after I was born!

I wonder what the item that was around this 4 year old's throat?
Was the poor toddler a girl or boy. For some reason I keep picturing a little girl?

Oh, dear! Oh, dear! Oh, dear! My heart goes out to those who loved this little girl.

I'm not an expert but IIRC info linked in the JonBenet Ramsey forum suggested that small children strangle rather easily.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/miriah-cobbs-4-year-old-hanged_n_1335781.html

4-Year-Old, Dies After Found Hanging In A Closet
The Los Angeles Police Department's Abused Child Unit is investigating the hanging death of a 4-year-old girl in Westchester, Calif.
While the LAPD does not believe foul play was involved, Officer Cleon Joseph explained to the Huffington Post that the child abuse unit investigates all unexplained deaths involving children under the age of 11. In this case, the incident has been deemed a "death investigation" as opposed to a "homicide investigation

:anguish: :tears: :anguish: Oh, how terrible and sad! I have a 4-yr old granddaughter. According to the Huffingtonpost: the Los Angeles County Coroner's office confirmed an autospy will not be completed until Sat or Sun.

I am going to check Los Angelos news for any updated information.

oh, God, that makes my heart hurt. Those poor parents.

I hope they have a good support network. There was a family in our area whose newly adopted toddler accidentally was hung when he climbed over a baby gate. The mother was so distraught that she took her own life just a few days later, even though they were concerned about her and were not leaving her alone at all. It was gut wrenching.

I cannot imagine the guilt and the devastating grief. Prayers for all involved.

My heart is breaking for this family and 4 year old. My prayers go out to everyone.

Mel

Hey, Clu!
I lived in Westchester/Inglewood area, too, for my first few years after I was born!

I wonder what the item that was around this 4 year old's throat?
Was the poor toddler a girl or boy. For some reason I keep picturing a little girl?

OT I lived right next door to Westchester High for almost all of the 80's

This is horrific, but I hope there's some way for us to know what happened-- that's the only value of such a devastating death.

Was it the way some neckties were hanging? Belts? Clothing that had drawstrings? Was she playing with necklaces and one got caught up on something else??? Scarfs? There has to be more... we need to know how to avoid this terrible loss in our own homes.

RIP, darling girl. :cry:

This is horrific, but I hope there's some way for us to know what happened-- that's the only value of such a devastating death.

Was it the way some neckties were hanging? Belts? Clothing that had drawstrings? Was she playing with necklaces and one got caught up on something else??? Scarfs? There has to be more... we need to know how to avoid this terrible loss in our own homes.

RIP, darling girl. :cry:

You are asking all the questions I have...and for the same reason...to see how we can learn from this sad situation!

You are asking all the questions I have...and for the same reason...to see how we can learn from this sad situation!

On KFI radio last night I heard David Gregory of the news dpt. say how baffled he was. He said that when EMT arrived the child was laying down and being administered first aid by a family member, who told them that she was found 'hanging in the closet.'

I wonder if she was trying to climb up to get something on a higher shelf and got caught up when she fell. I have heard of kids getting their hoodies caught on large wall hooks, and being strangled.

I hope nobody purposely hung her though. Poor sweet girl. :rose:

:anguish: :anguish:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...-dead-in-closet-inside-westchester-apartment/

Investigators believe the child's death is a tragic accident, an investigation is ongoing.

A coroner's official provided the child's name and said the cause of death will be determined by toxicology results.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-girl-found-dead-in-closet,0,4194719.story

Police do not think foul play is involved. They think it was a tragic accident. They believe the child was playing unsupervised for a brief period and somehow managed to choke herself by hanging in the closet. :rose:

I hope my links work. This is the first time I have done any.

:frown: :frown:

I have been unable to find any further news or updates on this case in the past week. The LA coroner's office provides news releases for distribution to media and others parties ... but there was not one released on this case ... so, no luck. Does anyone know if there has been any family members interviewed on television that I could have missed ... ABC, CBS, NBC, HLN? If so, will you post whatever you can?

I don't have facebook. Anyone who is interested might find some comments on facebook to post. The little girl's name is shown in the Huffington Post link upthread. I am unsure whether or not it is O.K. to provide her name in my post. :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back