JY Guilty of 1st Degree Murder: Post-verdict discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A jury of JY's peers has spoken, and presented a verdict of guilty of murder in the first degree.

This thread is for post-verdict discussion only. It is NOT for re-hashing or debating trial testimony or evidence. It is certainly not for gloating over a perceived "win," or for baiting those who happen to believe that justice was served in this case.

Again, the jury has spoken.

I'm copying Tricia's excellent reminder here:

Hi Everyone,

Emotions are running high and understandably so.

Please, I am pleading with you, keep in mind our terms of service.

Out TOS in its shortest form is this:

Don't be a jerk and don't attack each other.

If you don't agree with someone please say so but no need to be rude about it.

If someone is rude to you then hit the alert button rather than respond. It is the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of the post.

If you are getting too worked up take a break from the computer. You can always come back.

I appreciate your participation in the forum but keep in mind our moderators are all volunteers with personal lives. When things get too hot then their lives are disrupted as well.

Thank you in advance for understanding.

Tricia

This is going to sound like the stupidest analogy ever...DH and I were married for 23 years. Till death to do you part. Loved each other. Were friends to the end.....

He couldn't load the dishwasher the right way EVER!!!! I apparently had the same problem with IT too!!!! We went through many years of "sighs, grumbles, gruff.." until we just decided to leave it alone. In the end we remained friends who would never agree. That's life.

I have no idea if you know what I mean, but hope it helps. :)

I couldn't hear too well on the wral site but did JY attorneys say on what basis they filed notice of appeal on the day of his sentencing? Or are they not required to do so. I definitely do not think JLY is going anywhere but I am curious as to what grounds they feel they deserve an appeal. And from what I understand it won't be the same attorneys? I thought I heard Judge Stephens say an appellate attorney would be appointed?

I couldn't hear too well on the wral site but did JY attorneys say on what basis they filed notice of appeal on the day of his sentencing? Or are they not required to do so. I definitely do not think JLY is going anywhere but I am curious as to what grounds they feel they deserve an appeal. And from what I understand it won't be the same attorneys? I thought I heard Judge Stephens say an appellate attorney would be appointed?

They are not required to say the basis until they do their legal briefs/filing to the appeals court. They'll need a completed transcript of the trial (which takes many months to obtain from the court reporter) and then decide which rulings they will submit as the basis of their appeal. Estimates are 18 months to 24 months or more for an appeal to be heard (just depending).

The appeals court looks at legal errors made, based on the what the appellate attorneys file and the issues they raise.. The court of 3 judges don't sit and debate whether the defendant did the crime or not; at the appellate level it's no longer about determining guilt or innocence.

If you're found guilty after a trial, you have the right to appeal both your conviction (the finding of guilt) and your sentence. In both state or federal courts there are time limits for filing a "notice to appeal" a conviction or sentence. In state courts, the time limits are usually different in each state.

I'm glad Judge Stephens presided over this trial. He has a great amount of respect from all sides and you don't see the kind of name calling that a different judge may be subject to by an angry contingent. You also don't see whining or temper tantrums in his court -- one stare down by the judge would, I think, silence anyone. He takes no crap and doesn't seem to have to put up with the kind of shenanigans that occur elsewhere.

Plus his rulings tend to be clean with very little margin for error.

Assuming nothing comes of this alleged hairdresser texting by juror scandal, I don't think JY has a chance in hades of having his appeal go through.

If you're found guilty after a trial, you have the right to appeal both your conviction (the finding of guilt) and your sentence. In both state or federal courts there are time limits for filing a "notice to appeal" a conviction or sentence. In state courts, the time limits are usually different in each state.

Interesting research.
Can you look up info for NC?

I hope Im not breaking any rules by bringing up this up in post trial discussions, but I didnt follow the case closely until recently, and I just was looking over some videos of the trial. I had to laugh at the defense's opening statement where he says that two cigarette butts were found around the Young home, and dna didn't match Young. Are we supposed to surmise from that some two random burglars or murderers took the time to take a nice smoke break after killing Michelle Young? Because that is normal behavior for someone who breaks into a house, to kill, rape or steal? Stop and take a nice smoke break outside, screw the chances of someone seeing you or the cops showing up lol? Or is it more reasonable to believe that those cigarette butts are from before the murder and could belong to friends, or a maintenance worker, etc....

There is a very good reason "Dr" Godwin was never called to the stand by the defense. Not only did the defense ignore his 75 bags of "missed evidence", they ignored his evidence of Jay's self-gratification deposited on the bed.
:lol:

http://www.investigativepsych.com/jasonyoungcase.html

What a farce that was. Between that and saying it may have been JY's shoes, but he wasn't in them, I was reminded of the "theory" that JFK was shot by his own driver who fired over his shoulder or whatever. There's only one truth, but there are any infinite amount of theories that can be supposed.

DT announced appeal right there (standard), PD office will assign an appeals attorney (those were not "his" attorney, just attorneys lent to him by WC), grounds will come from the same ones noted in the objections during the trial. Appeals in a case like this are pretty much automatic, regardless of whether the grounds for the appeal have objective merit.

What a farce that was. Between that and saying it may have been JY's shoes, but he wasn't in them, I was reminded of the "theory" that JFK was shot by his own driver who fired over his shoulder or whatever. There's only one truth, but there are any infinite amount of theories that can be supposed.

The other night I was thinking about all the conspiratorists and how they really go all out with their 'theories.' I immediately thought of the ones for JFK, no lack of those since 1963.

And of course there are the ones who are convinced 9/11 was orchestrated by the U.S. government with substitute planes acting as the crashed planes.

And hot on their heels are the theorists who believe most people in prison are innocent, most LE officers plant or manufacture evidence, and anyone arrested and tried is being railroaded. A video of the perp committing the crime and a confession are needed, otherwise there is "no evidence," and "circumstantial evidence" should never be used because it's "not real."

A convention of JFK conspiratorists, 9/11 conspiratorists, and railroaded murdering husband conspiratorists would be an interesting mix. Add in some Star Trek conventioneers wearing Mr. Spock ears and I might just want to see that!

I hope Im not breaking any rules by bringing up this up in post trial discussions, but I didnt follow the case closely until recently, and I just was looking over some videos of the trial. I had to laugh at the defense's opening statement where he says that two cigarette butts were found around the Young home, and dna didn't match Young. Are we supposed to surmise from that some two random burglars or murderers took the time to take a nice smoke break after killing Michelle Young? Because that is normal behavior for someone who breaks into a house, to kill, rape or steal? Stop and take a nice smoke break outside, screw the chances of someone seeing you or the cops showing up lol? Or is it more reasonable to believe that those cigarette butts are from before the murder and could belong to friends, or a maintenance worker, etc....

Especially since opening statements are not evidence. And IIRC, those cigarette butts were never introduced as evidence in this trial.

Especially since opening statements are not evidence. And IIRC, those cigarette butts were never introduced as evidence in this trial.

And of course neither are closing arguments evidence.

I've seen things that never were part of the trial itself given as examples of evidence that points away from JY, and those were things said by the defense during closing arguments (most recently, the alleged and apparently assumed 'washing of CY's pajamas). Not part of any witness statement.

There is a very good reason "Dr" Godwin was never called to the stand by the defense. Not only did the defense ignore his 75 bags of "missed evidence", they ignored his evidence of Jay's self-gratification deposited on the bed.
:lol:

http://www.investigativepsych.com/jasonyoungcase.html

I would like to know when JY pleasured himself -- if that is what happened. (And I feel sure there was no way to tell -- unless Dr. G figured it out, which wouldn't surprise me.
icon6.gif
...)

If he did it after the murder, then IMO this guy is really off his beam.... :moo:

I would like to know when JY pleasured himself -- if that is what happened. (And I feel sure there was no way to tell -- unless Dr. G figured it out, which wouldn't surprise me.
icon6.gif
...)

If he did it after the murder, then IMO this guy is really off his beam.... :moo:

Link provided says he and MY "had relations" on Nov. 2. So, if you believe that link, that's what it says. Obviously, I don't recall testimony to either the contents on the comforter, or whether or not they had recently had sex, but there you go.

icon6.gif
...)

If said stain was from "relations" with MY it would have contained a mixture of JY and MY's DNA. Not just JY DNA.
Sure sounds like only JY's DNA was found doesn't it?

Link provided says he and MY "had relations" on Nov. 2. So, if you believe that link, that's what it says. Obviously, I don't recall testimony to either the contents on the comforter, or whether or not they had recently had sex, but there you go.

Why should anyone believe the link?
The source would have to be Jason Young - convicted murderer.

What I don't get is, what took these people around him so long to figure out something was wrong? Let's all get real here, and maybe it's just me, maybe I just am always surrounded by boring people and coworkers... But does anyone here have adult friends who pee on their living room floor in front of everyone, regularly run around naked, or as one friend put it, perform "genitalia jokes"? If this was when everyone was in college, I could see how it could be laughed at and chalked up to being young and wild, but we are talking about after these folks grew up and got married, are we not? No one thought this was strange behavior for a married father? I was also a little startled, although not as much, by Michelle Money recounting how they all went outside to play hide and seek, and her and Jason began talking after hiding in the same place. I dont see anything wrong with that, it sounds fun, but I've just personally never been around any group of married couples or adults over 20 who announce out of the blue, hey lets just go outside and play hide and seek! This whole group with their constant screwing around with each other and apparent disregard for JY's crazy behavior is bizarre, Ive never seen anything like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46