Identified! OH - Fayette Co, Paint Creek, Wht/HispMale 16-25, UP4789, scars, tan lines, Nov'81 - Theodore "Teddy" Long

CherBearSTL

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this man.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4789
www.doenetwork.org/cases/341umoh.html

341UMOH.jpg

Unidentified White Male

Discovered on November 17, 1981 in Fayette County, Ohio.
The Victim had suffered two small caliber bullet wounds that had entered the chest and passed through the body. The wounds were then carved open with a knife.
Estimated time of death: Within 24 hours

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18-22 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic or a mixture of Hispanic and White. Light reddish-brown, curly hair; green eyes. Olive complexion; high forehead. There were no marks or scars on the body.
Dentals: Dental chart available; no overbite, but both canine (2 front teeth) are considerably longer than the rest his teeth
Clothing: None.
Fingerprints: Available

Case History
The nude body of the victim was recovered from a creek on November 17th, 1981 in Fayette County, Ohio.
The victim bore tanning pattern indicative that he had worn bikini style briefs. The tanning pattern that the victim bore was indicative of a warmer climate such as California, Mexico or Arizona.

*POST MORTEM PHOTO AT LINK*

Found an actual photo of the man from a newspaper article.

http://www.recordherald.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=132401

The article states that he had "light reddish hair." Is it possible that a MP report may list his hair as auburn or light brown instead of red? It sounds like "red" may not be the correct description for this UID's hair. My stepson has red hair and I would not describe his hair as "reddish." It's red!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

there are not many missing guys from that era with green eyes. that should be the key to matching him, but as we know, many missing persons back then were either never reported or records were not retained very long.

the green eyes sort of rule out being Hispanic or partially Hispanic (in my book, no science to it) and the olive color skin could be something Mediterranean.

the bikini style bathing suit (from the tanning patterns) and the fact he was found nude are interesting. the UID might have been gay and that might have been one of the factors in his murder. if he was gay, then that might have caused some friction between him and his family so who know, maybe they disowned him and never reported him missing.

I think this individual was clearly a vicim or the drug trade. A good deal of narcotics came from Latin American countries to our south (ie Cuba, Colombia, Mexico, etc) and I-71 goes not far from where he was found. It is a route that connects Cincinnati and points south to Cleveland and (I suppose) Northern NY and New England in general.
In most warmer nations, it is common for guys (no matter his persuasion) to wear "Speedo" style trunks. If he were from Mexico or Cuba, he could have such tanlines.

Also, the way it seemed like the killer just cut the victim to retrieve bullets sounds like more a drug/business kill. And, from a few that were active at the time, gay serial killers were prone to "overkill" and/or "really, really, really super-sick ****" (for honest lack of a better description). The mutilation here seems to be more bullet retrieval than anything.

Rules outs:

John Aponte
John Dial
William Newman
Randy Sellars

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

probably not Troha. under the dental section for UID it states there "is no mention of restorations or missing teeth in the report" although there is no known dental chart for the UID.

Could this be John Troha?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/troha_john.html

AGAINST
Eyes - Doe Network says green, Charley Project says hazel.
Skin - Doe Network says olive complextion, Charley Project says caucasian.
Teeth - No mention of a bridge replacing 2 teeth on Doe Network.

DippyBlonder

9858ac8b-2229-40fa-9646-19230cde1b5a.jpg
341UMOH.jpg

Richard Damasse Riquier

http://www.nampn.org/cases/riquier_richard.html

Just added to NAMPN.

The "Missing Since:" date says 1973, but the narrative says 7-Nov-1981 (10 days before the John Doe's discovery Date). And he has a 1981 MP case number 43-811107-040 (43 is the precinct. 81 is the year).

The height is off, but compare his photo to the PM photo.

Warning: Postmortem Photos at link (In "Images" Section)
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4789

Looks like the same guy to me.

Definitely looks like him. The 757-mile distance is huge but lines up with the circumstances, since Riquier apparently went to the US or India to join a cult.

Carl, I think you found him. Call it innnn

I submitted Richard Riquier as a possible match to this John Doe. I received this reply from Emily Craig:

Subject: RE: NamUs UP # 4789 - Possible Match to Richard Damasse Riquier of Montreal Quebec

Thanks, Carl. I’ve forwarded this to Dr. Murray along with a personal note to review the discrepancy in dates. Nice work.

Emily

Here's the side-by-side. Looks to me like the same guy.

WARNING: POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK

Side By Side Comparison - Richard Damasse Riquier to UP 4789

For a few months, I have had Richard Riquier in mind as possibly being another UID (Wilmington John Doe), but I haven't asked because there is a date discrepancy of about two months between when the UID was found and when Mr. Riquier went missing. I did ask Canadian LE about his disappearance and this is what they wrote back --

We corrected the date, thank you for noting that. It is supposed to be April 17, 1973.

Due to the historical event of the case, we do not have the exact region in the united States.

This guy also looks alot like our Fayette County John Doe. His casefile was created a year ago, but was only published recently.

Eduardo Portela

341UMOH.jpg

His age (20) is good.

And he was missing only two weeks before the date of discovery.

His eye color (green or brown) would match if green.

However:

His listed height (67") is about 2 inches taller than FCJD.

And FCJD has no mention of a birthmark.

I would say probably not. But there is a pretty good resemblance.

This guy also looks alot like our Fayette County John Doe. His casefile was created a year ago, but was only published recently.

Eduardo Portela

341UMOH.jpg

His age (20) is good.

And he was missing only two weeks before the date of discovery.

His eye color (green or brown) would match if green.

However:

His listed height (67") is about 2 inches taller than FCJD.

And FCJD has no mention of a birthmark.

I would say probably not. But there is a pretty good resemblance.

I think your other suggestion matched perfectly

Rule outs

John Aponte 1962 Guam
Randall Brosius 1954 Pennsylvania
Jimmy Collins 1951 Michigan
John Dial 1943 Texas
Scott Morris 1963 Indiana
William Newman 1955 Louisiana
Randy Sellers 1962 Kentucky
Anthony Tumolo 1952 Pennsylvania

No Richard Riquier or Eduardo Portela.

Edward (also has been named as Eduardo Portela) personally still feels very much like the most likely match.

Why of possible interest:

• Portela disappeared Sept. 7 1981; Doe found Nov. 17, 1981 (close time frame)
  • Portela last seen in Dauphin Co., PA (only ~7 hr car drive to Fayette Co., Ohio)
Very similar general facial appearance (as seen in photos provided)

• Portela: 20 years; Doe: 18-22 years old
  • Portela: 5'7", 135 lbs; Doe: 5'5"; 130 lbs
  • Portela: Hispanic; Doe: suspected to be Hispanic or biracial
  • Portela: hazel eyes, curly brown hair; Doe: green eyes, reddish-brown hair (seemingly curly based on postmortem image provided)
  • Both possess seemingly high forehead and wispy mustache.
The tanning pattern described in the Doe Network (a "tanning pattern that the victim bore was indicative of a warmer climate such as California, Mexico or Arizona") could be explained by Edward moving with his family to Harrisburg PA from Cuba in 1980 (probably within a year of his disappearance!). As someone who has had extreme tan lines, I can vouch for these cases by saying they do not disappear quickly on certain types of skin.

Jon Haynes might be a longshot, but there's definitely some similarities.

Age range matches and the weight is close, and the UID was found just months after Jon went missing. Doe Network mentions the UID possibly being from Arizona, California, or Mexico. Jon was from California and had recently relocated to Colorado. San Francisco definitely doesn't have the 'warmer climate' described on DN, but I found this interesting.
What really stands out to me are the teeth. The UID's two front teeth were noticeably long. The Doe Network elaborates these were his front canines, but 'two front teeth' usually means incisors, and Jon's incisors seemed rather long in the pictures we have available of him.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

UID had green eyes and Jon's were blue, but they're also described as blue-green on the Charley Project. Jon's hair was blonde and the UID's was light reddish-brown. Then again, the UID was found in a creek, and light-coloured hair tends to get darker when wet.
The height throws me off, though. Jon was 5'10" and the UID was 5'5"... That's pretty significant. There's always the chance that the UID's height was underestimated or Jon's was overestimated, but it's the biggest knock against this guy being Jon for me.

Attachments

• JHaynes.jpg
    JHaynes.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 97
  • haynes_jon2.jpg
    haynes_jon2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 62
  • fayette.jpg
    fayette.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 97
Also, Jon looks a lot more like the reconstruction than the PM.
Jon and the reconstruction both seem to have hooked noses, but the PM looks like the John Doe may have had a more upturned nose. Hmm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back