GUILTY UT - Anne Kasprzak, 15, body found in Jordan River, 10 March 2012

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
(snips)
Draper police Sunday night were trying to piece together what happened to a girl found dead in the Jordan River and who might have killed her.
Investigators have identified the girl, who is under the age of 18, but Draper police Sgt. Chad Carpenter said police are withholding her exact age and name until all of her family members are notified. The girl is from the South Valley area, Carpenter said, and her death is being treated as a homicide.

At first investigators weren’t sure who the girl was, but the girl’s mother saw media reports about the discovery of the body and called police. Carpenter said the mother feared it might be her daughter because she hadn’t heard from her "for a bit."

More:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53695141-78/girl-carpenter-river-police.html.csp

I would be very interested to know if Anne was "reported as a runaway" by her family.
Or if she was "reported as missing but listed as a runaway."

I'd also be interested to know when Anne actually went missing, if it was prior to being reported on Saturday. In other words, how long has it actually been since mom saw her daughter?

I'm not sure what to make of what I bolded below. They knew she was missing Saturday didn't they?
http://fox13now.com/2012/03/11/body-found-in-jordan-river/

(snip)
The girl found in the Jordan River has been identified as 15-year-old Anne Kasprazak, from Riverton.
Kasprazak was a freshman at Summit Academy, in Draper. Police said she was reported missing by her family on Saturday night.
Officials said Kasprazak’s family realized the girl had been missing after watching the news on Sunday evening and notified police. If anyone saw her after Saturday night after 7:45 p.m., please call police at 801-840-4000.

I'm not finding any live links online or on my tv. I also can't get channels 2 and 13 on my tv today.

I would be very interested to know if Anne was "reported as a runaway" by her family.
Or if she was "reported as missing but listed as a runaway."

--according to this article:

http://connect2utah.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_664.shtml

Authorities continue to investigate what exactly happened and why, but they are calling this case suspicious and a potential homicide.

A supervisor at the trail told 2News he had spoken with Anne’s father --who said she had runaway over the weekend.

http://twitter.com/#!/KSLSheryl

Draper police holding press conference right now on 15 year old girl found dead in the Jordan River. Anne Kasprzak was identified today.

Chad Carpenter says they are looking for anyone who spent time with her to come forward. No word on cause of death.

Carpenter says she did have injuries but won't go into what those injuries are.

Carpenter says they are trying to piece together a timeline. PD confirms she was reported a runaway, but don't know if she had boyfriend.

Draper police ask anyone with information to call 801-840-4000.

I wonder if she didn't come home because she was murdered and that led to her being reported as a runaway.

A 15-year-old runaway found dead Sunday in the Jordan River has been identified as 15-year-old Anne Grace Anne Kasprzak of Riverton.
Kasprzak was reported missing on Saturday night, said Draper police Sgt. Chad Carpenter. Her parents last saw her at 7:45 p.m. that night at their home near 12800 South and 2500 West.

Read more:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53699955-78/carpenter-police-river-kasprzak.html.csp

In my opinion, parents whose 15 year old didn't come home wouldn't report the missing 15 year old as runaway unless they had some reasons to believe she in fact did run away.

anneK.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=195...l-found-dead-in-jordan-river&s_cid=featured-1
Police identify 15-year-old girl found dead in Jordan River

--video----Press Conference --9:54 @ link

Carpenter said Anne's case is being handled as a "suspicious death investigation" that is being treated as a homicide. However, he said he did not have results of a Monday autopsy and did not know whether the state medical examiner was classifying her death as a homicide, suicide or accidental.

Yet Carpenter noted that investigators believe her death was an "isolated act" and not random, saying joggers and other recreationists shouldn't have to worry about a killer on the loose in that area. Carpenter, however, declined to comment on why police believe the incident was isolated.

When asked to describe whether there were any obvious signs of trauma on Anne's body, Carpenter would only say, "She did have injuries," but refused to elaborate or say what may have caused them.

Anne was reported as a runaway on Saturday. The last time she was seen was at her mother's house in Riverton about 7:45 p.m. Carpenter said he did not have any information Monday about why police classified her as a runaway.

Some statements by LE about not knowing the COD, MOD, previous trouble at the home, and how quick mom reported Anne as a runaway make me think that this could possibly be a suicide.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53699955-78/kasprzak-police-carpenter-death.html.csp

(snip)
Although an autopsy was performed Monday morning, police had not yet learned the cause of Kasprzak’s death or whether it was deemed to be a homicide, Carpenter said. He characterized the death only as "suspicious" and declined to discuss any leads.
He also would not discuss the circumstances of her parents’ report Saturday night to the Unified Police Department that Kasprzak had run away. UPD Lt. Justin Hoyal also would not comment on that report, or on previous police calls to the girl’s home, near 12800 South and 2500 West.

ETA: a poster makes a comment about Anne previously having problems and living in a group home for a few months.

Interesting.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...year-old-found-dead-in-Jordan-River.html?pg=1

(snip)
The girl's stepmother, Jennifer Kasprzak, said Monday that family members believed Anne had just gone for a walk Saturday night but began to worry when she didn't answer her phone or respond to text messages. Family members then used GPS to track the location of the teen's cellphone.
Kasprzak said Anne first seemed to be moving slowly away from an area near her mother's Riverton home, but then the tracking indicated that her location changed more rapidly, as if she had been traveling in a car. The last tracked location was near the area where police would would later locate one of her shoes.

Saturday night, Kasprzak said family members searched that area but found nothing. They assumed that her phone battery had died in that area. They continued to search for her until about 5 a.m. Sunday, she said.

Sounds like I can scratch the suicide theory off my list. So were the gunshots heard coming from the family home or the trail a mile away? Hmmmmm. Family reported her missing very quickly. If the sounds of gunshots are related, then all this transpired quickly from 7:45 to 9:35PM

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...-of-a-15-year-old/PiILyc0vgE6kV7o619BKoQ.cspx

(snip)
Police won’t say how Anne was murdered but two women ABC 4 spoke with say they heard something Saturday night.

Chris Farnsworth lives near the Jordan River Parkway Trail. “We were watching television around 9:30 pm and we heard two gun shots,” said Farnsworth. Sharon Barlow lives about a mile away, just across the street from Kasprzak’s home. Barlow said, “I was just getting my grandchildren asleep in my bedroom and just thought I heard a gunshot…I grabbed my phone and it was 9:35 pm.”

(snips)
'I think this is an isolated act involving this young girl. We don't know who the suspects are. We believe our trail systems are safe here in Draper,' Mr Carpenter said.
They did go on to say that given the bruising on her body, they think she was attacked and killed in another area and then brought to the river.

There are still a number of unanswered questions in the case, and the police are not being entirely forthcoming with the answers whether they know them or not.
The family has been cooperating with authorities, but they have not publicly said what the nature of the argument was with their daughter that prompted her to leave the house on Saturday night.
An autopsy has been performed but the medical examiner is still unable to pinpoint the cause of death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-substantial-blood-nearby.html#ixzz1p0cYxn7d

Stories like this are just so disheartening. 15 YO's ... are just little kids to me. What can of been so bad that she choose to run away, and who did she run to? Was there drugs involved. Or did she just run across some bad folks on the trails? We have an extensive trail network in suburban Philly, and let me tell you, there are some desolate areas where i've run across women by themselves, its just not safe if they run across the wrong person.

I want to know when was the last time anyone outside the stepmother's home saw Anne alive and well.

I am suspicious of stepmom's very detailed account of tracking Anne's cell phone from the area of her mother's house to the area near the bridge. I am assuming that "mother's house" refers to her natural mother's home, not the home Anne disappeared from. Did something bad happen to Anne at step-mom's home earlier that day? Were the gunshots, bloody bridge and single shoe, and cell phone tracking part of a staged scenerio? Did step-mom report her as a runaway to cover for some other crime? Is it possible that the cell phone trail was made by someone other than Anne, maybe even after Anne was dead? MOO

I

Police have not said "this is a homicide." Or if they have, I have missed it.
I am still only seeing that it is "suspicious" and being "investigated as a homicide."

That is standard, for a situation like this. It doesn't mean she was murdered.
I wonder if the media knows more than they are saying or if they are jumping to conclusions?

The bruising and attacked/killed somewhere else comments, I haven't seen anywhere but the DailyMail.
Has anyone else seen it come from Utah LE?

She very well could have been murdered, it does seem a bit of an odd suicide scenario.
I am just skeptical that the DailyMail knows that and local media doesn't.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=195...er-was-good-girl-mother-says&s_cid=featured-1

Teen found in Jordan River was good girl, mother says

She had her moments of rebellion and her ups and downs like any teen, according to her mother. But she did not do drugs, did not drink alcohol and she was a very good girl, Veronica Kazprzak-Bratcher said Tuesday.

The night Anne disappeared, she was at her mother's Riverton house doing homework, trying to make up some of the assignments she missed after recently having her wisdom teeth pulled. She had completed a research paper that evening and was "in a good mood all night," her mother said.

Anne's parents, while admitting they do not know all the facts involved in the investigation and do not want to compromise the case, said Tuesday their talks with investigators lead them to believe their daughter's injuries were not accidental or self-inflicted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back