Trial Thread 3/14/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
New thread for a new day. Please remember the rules

:tos:

when posting an opinion please remember to use your :moo: or :twocents: or :cow: or just IMO or JMO will do nicely.

--------
the crown will present its case in chapters:

Chapter 1: The day of the kidnapping. The surveillance video showing Rafferty driving up the street outside Tori's school and McClintic walking Tori up the street. Witnesses from and around Oliver Stephens public school will talk about seeing Tori.

An identification officer will use photographs and maps to show the route from Woodstock to Guelph.

Tori's mother, Tara McDonald, will testify about the frantic hours the family spent looking for Tori.

Chapter 2: Terri-Lynne McClintic. "She was an essential part of all that happened," Gowdey said. "I expect her credibility will be a major issue in this case."

Chapter 3: Guelph -- video surveillance and bank records detailing the events there.

Chapter 4: the Mount Forest death scene, which the jury will visit. "It will be difficult to go to the very place where this happened, I know that, but understanding the crime scene is crucial to understanding the crime," Gowdey said. Photographs, some of them graphic, will be used to explain "exactly how the killing happened."

"Unfortunately it is only through them that you can fully understand (the) evidence," Gowdey said.

Chapter 5: Police interaction with Rafferty.

Chapter 6: The searches of Rafferty and McClintic's residences and the evidence found.

Chapter 7: The Honda Civic. What was found inside.

Chapter 8: Rafferty's connection to the Mount Forest area.

Chapter 9: Comments Rafferty made to friends after April 8. "He had some interesting things to say to other people about Terri-Lynne McClintic and about the kidnapping itself," Gowdey said.

Chapter 10: The May 15 weekend and Rafferty's actions.

Chapter 11: The BlackBerry. The BlackBerry allowed police to track his movements April 8 and after.

Chapter 12: A recap of the surveillance video.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/r.../19463111.html

reposting Salem's warning from last week:

Okay everybody - LISTEN UP! We are not bashing, accusing or blaming Tori's family here. It won't be allowed.

Children walk home from school every day without incident. Parents are not perfect, it's just not possible. Tori's parents DID NOT do this to her. TLM and an accomplice DID. That is where the blame goes.

We had a lot of family bashing in the early parts of this investigation after Tori went missing and a lot of baseless accusations - NONE OF WHICH PROVED TO BE TRUE. Victim and family bashing will not be allowed during this trial.

Thank you,

Salem

408086_10151339209525384_568640383_23225688_486387658_n.jpg

Paparella said McClintic is expected to continue testifying for the rest of this week and possibly into next week.

Court is expecting to hear details about the days immediately after the murder, and how the couple tried to cover up what had happened. Rafferty's trial is expected to last between two and three months.

"So it's going to be a long haul and there's a lot of evidence to come out," Paparella said.

CTV legal analyst Steven Skurka said at first glance, it appears that McClintic has taken full blame for the actual murder, thereby absolving Rafferty.

However, he pointed out that it doesn't have to be proven that Rafferty inflicted the actual death blows, in order for him to be found guilty of first-degree murder.

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120314/stafford-trial-mcclintic-testimony-120313.html

9:03

RaffertyLFP: Court official said seats were all "first come first served" but folks decided amongst themselves media needed to get in to do their jobs [via Twitter]
8:59

RaffertyLFP: Great moment of civilty yesterday. Members of public waiting to get into crowded courtroom decided to let media in first [via Twitter]
8:54

RaffertyLFP: Tuesday's testimony included shocking, sickening details of crime. Today should be less intense [via Twitter]
8:50

RaffertyLFP: Testimony will pick up with McClintic and Rafferty leaving crime scene north of Guelph [via Twitter]
8:48

RaffertyLFP: Waiting for 2nd day of McClintic testimony to begin at Rafferty trial [via Twitter]

"In criminal law in this country someone who aids, assists, abets, or facilitates can be just as guilty under the law as the principle, which makes sense. You can't get a free pass just because you've done everything other than inflict the fatal wound," Skurka told CTV's Canada AM.

It isn't clear whether Rafferty's defence team will put him on the stand during his trial.

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120314/stafford-trial-mcclintic-testimony-120313.html

9:28

RaffertyLFP: Only a handful of public spectators in overflow today - big contrast to Tuesday [via Twitter]

Cynthia Mulligan ‏
#Rafferty-there are virtually no spectators lined up for trial today, at this point yesterday there were dozens. Too disturbing yesterday?

Cynthia Mulligan ‏
#Rafferty - Tori's father, Rodney Stafford arrived for another day of testimony. Don't know how he's even standing.

Morning all,
Not sure about anyone else but I did not sleep well at all last night. My daughter is 11, the same age that Tori would have been. I think about what happened and am filled with a wide spectrum of emotions. I do not think I have ever felt this much hatred towards two people in my life ever. I did not realize yesterdays reports would have been so graphic, and have been traumaztized by them. I have read many true crime books but nothing has been as upsetting as this. I was recently in Woodstock because my Aunt passed away. She was a member of the Salvation Army which is right next to the Super 8. I am glad I did not know these details when I went there as I would have been continuosly thinking about it. The Super 8 BTW is a stones throw from the 401.

9:57

RaffertyLFP: Court scheduled to start at 10 am. Some folks in place in courtoom [via Twitter]

Morning all,
Not sure about anyone else but I did not sleep well at all last night. My daughter is 11, the same age that Tori would have been. I think about what happened and am filled with a wide spectrum of emotions. I do not think I have ever felt this much hatred towards two people in my life ever. I did not realize yesterdays reports would have been so graphic, and have been traumaztized by them. I have read many true crime books but nothing has been as upsetting as this. I was recently in Woodstock because my Aunt passed away. She was a member of the Salvation Army which is right next to the Super 8. I am glad I did not know these details when I went there as I would have been continuosly thinking about it. The Super 8 BTW is a stones throw from the 401.

Didn't sleep well at all. I woke up at 4 am and felt sick. I couldn't stop thinking about all of this and to the suffering Tori went through.

Cynthia Mulligan
#Rafferty- Was outside courthouse having a long talk with Tori's mother Tara. She's holding up, hoping yesterday was worst day of testimony

Cynthia Mulligan ‏
#Rafferty - Tara was wearing a purple scarf, light purple eye shadow and nail polish - purple was her daughter's favourite colour

AM980.ca ‏ @AM980_Court
The jury is now entering the courtroom.

10:11

RaffertyLFP: Court is set to resume - jury is entering [via Twitter]

Cynthia Mulligan ‏
#Rafferty - Jury sitting, Rafferty wearing 3 piece suit. Crown taking McClintic back to time just after Tori murdered

Gowdey has resumed his questions. McClintic says her white jacket, empty water bottles, Tori's clothes and the hammer went in a garbage bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong