Tornado Season's Early Start May Predict Ominous Year

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...ing-damage-from-suspected-tornado-near-dexter

tornado season started up last night in my neck of the woods ^^^ luckily we were all safe and sound but just five miles up the road from me it looks like that ^^^ :eek:

Glad to know that you are safe. I thought about you last evening as I watched the path of the storm and mentioned you on the Bianca Jones board where I was posting.

We had pea-sized hail, heavy rain, and high winds for about 20 minutes before the storm passed. Fog and drizzle now. Be well.
BDE

This warm winter we had plays a role in this early tornado season. La Nina Winters are warmer on average. Also, the Gulf of Mexico is very warm, which blows in warm moist air, which clashes with cold air from Canada.

Gonna be a rough couple of years IMO weather and natural disaster wise.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...ing-damage-from-suspected-tornado-near-dexter

tornado season started up last night in my neck of the woods ^^^ luckily we were all safe and sound but just five miles up the road from me it looks like that ^^^ :eek:

:maddening: Beemer, so glad to know that you and yours are safe!! Prayers to all that received damage. :praying:

:hand: My anxiety level gets so high with any kind of severe weather that I have to take the blue pill! :hills:

March 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Tornado in Dexter may have been an F3
By Tom Greenwood and Chad Livengood
The Detroit News

Dexter— Early and unofficial indications are that the twister that devastated portions of Dexter Thursday was an F3, which is classified as a "severe" storm with winds that register between 158-206 mph.

"We will have teams going out to look at the damage and label the strength of the tornadoes," said meteorologist Debra Elliott of the National Weather Service at White Lake Township on Friday. "Right now, based on what we know and have seen on the news, it looks like the Dexter tornado was the strongest. A best guess is that it was an F3, which is a fairly strong tornado for this area and for this time of year"...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...been-an-F3?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Fire officials: 50 homes badly damaged by tornado in Dexter neighborhood

Officials survey damage on Horseshoe Bend Road in Dexter day after tornado

Author: Shawn Ley, Local 4 Reporter, sley@wdiv.com

Published On: Mar 16 2012 11:42:41 AM EDT Updated On: Mar 16 2012 02:33:57 PM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ood/-/1719418/9364922/-/15agnrjz/-/index.html

I'm glad the forecasters are catching up to what I said back in January when the jet stream wasn't coming down. Here in Georgia we already had a deadly tornado hit Rome back in February, so that to me was a sign that things are not going to be good. Glad your o.k nursebeeme and pray for the ones who suffered loss to their property, but I heard on the news no one was hurt or killed which is a miracle for an F-2 and possible an F-3 in certain areas.

http://feww.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/deadly-tornado-hits-rome-ga/

Gonna be a rough couple of years IMO weather and natural disaster wise.

I'm curious as to why you say that. Can you explain more? Because I think you're right, but maybe for different reasons.

NBM, I am so thankful you're all right; and if this is a forecast as to what will come, I will be praying for everyone. We are expecting a "severe winter storm" here tonight and tomorrow, with black ice forecast...which is quite rare. The dogs will get a weekend in the house, and I'll stay put for the whole thing...but still, it is supposed to get pretty dicey here winter weather wise.

I'd still take all that over a tornado...

Best-
Herding Cats

Tornado in Michigan damages more than 100 homes
By MIKE HOUSEHOLDER, AP
3 hours ago

DEXTER, Mich. — Sometime after a tornado ripped through this rural Michigan village, a solitary hand rose from the rubble of a destroyed home.

The first officer on the scene reached for the hand and pulled out an elderly man who was shaken but able to walk.

"That's the best part," Deputy Ray Yee said. "Every place I went to, I would have thought I would have found somebody laying there — deceased or whatever. But, knock on wood, everybody was OK."

The twister that hit Dexter on Thursday evening damaged more than 100 homes and destroyed 13. But no one was seriously hurt...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120316/US.Tornado.Michigan/

I saw something on our local news last night that said temps could be above average for most of the country for the next 3 months. That won't help tornado season any. My local weather guys pointed out that if you have a day where storms were forecast but you get bright sunshine instead, watch out later in the day, as that can make the storms more severe when they do come. Not to sound like an alarmist, but I think it's Armageddononline.com that has a very thorough emergency preparation checklist. It helped me get our household ready for the year....even though I don't think the world is ending yet.

If Michigan is going to be hard hit by tornadoes this year, we're in trouble. Our home in Davison has no basement and no place to go to be safe from such a storm. Usually tornadoes that are coming from Flint towards Lapeer, skip over our immediate area, although I have no idea why. One time we were at the dentist's office when a tornado hit. The power went out (some people were in the middle of getting fillings!). We were told to get under the desk and tables/benches or anything we could get under. Of course, silly me had to go outside and watch the tornado picking up cars and throwing them around and demolishing houses nearby. The tornado didn't hit the dentist's office but did hit all round it in a hit and miss fashion. Three houses down and one skipped, 2 more down and another skipped, etc. My kids were at home and I was scared to death when the radio news said the tornado was headed straight for where we live. I called the kids and they were OK. I told them to go in the bathroom and lay down in the tub or on the floor close to the tub, since we have no basement. Luckily, the tornado went right over our subdivision without touching down. There is a "tornado corridor" where many tornadoes that come here follow and, luckily, we don't live in it. There was a terrible tornado there back in the 1950's. I remember my parents driving us through there to see the terrible destruction. A lot of people were killed and injured in that tornado.

If Michigan is going to be hard hit by tornadoes this year, we're in trouble. Our home in Davison has no basement and no place to go to be safe from such a storm. Usually tornadoes that are coming from Flint towards Lapeer, skip over our immediate area, although I have no idea why. One time we were at the dentist's office when a tornado hit. The power went out (some people were in the middle of getting fillings!). We were told to get under the desk and tables/benches or anything we could get under. Of course, silly me had to go outside and watch the tornado picking up cars and throwing them around and demolishing houses nearby. The tornado didn't hit the dentist's office but did hit all round it in a hit and miss fashion. Three houses down and one skipped, 2 more down and another skipped, etc. My kids were at home and I was scared to death when the radio news said the tornado was headed straight for where we live. I called the kids and they were OK. I told them to go in the bathroom and lay down in the tub or on the floor close to the tub, since we have no basement. Luckily, the tornado went right over our subdivision without touching down. There is a "tornado corridor" where many tornadoes that come here follow and, luckily, we don't live in it. There was a terrible tornado there back in the 1950's. I remember my parents driving us through there to see the terrible destruction. A lot of people were killed and injured in that tornado.

There are actually people on Tornado alley who think they are in some kind of safe zone, because they have never seen a tornado. I live in a place similar to you the tornadoes always go either north or south of us. The wind can be perfectly still and then a few houses down it's blowing like crazy. We all have basements here, that is one of the reasons why I moved here. It still scares me because when I lived in South Fl. I got hit about 3 times by tornadoes, not to mention hurricane season. Well I hope you continue to stay safe.

Hi neighbor, I'm in Flint. We don't usually get direct hits either, but when we do, they are doozies. I'm worried about Fenton, they had an F1 and a lot of "almost tornadoes" last year, I hope this year isn't worse.

I'm sorry to hear you are basement-less. Do you have pets? If so, pay them some special attention, they really do know what's about to happen with the weather. If all else fails and you are in one of the areas that has drainage ditches, and you really feel that you won't be safe in the house, run with a blanket to the ditch. My grandmother did that a few times when she lived in Beecher, and she lived through their big tornado.

Otherwise, get a packing quilt, and keep it in an interior room with no windows. The quilt might help keep you safe from flying things if you have to duck and cover. I throw a packing quilt over my kids every time we have to go to the basement.

Or you can come to my house during warnings, LOL, I have a big basement.

not my kids has great advice. Watch your pet's behavior.

When hubby and I were first married we were eating dinner and our great dane just started going nuts! Pacing and whining and acting like we have never seen before. We looked out the front door and saw a clear blue sky, then we turned to the east and saw a tornado in the field down the road almost on top of us! Green sky and a dirt filled swirl tornado. No locomotive sound at all, just dead silence...not even the bugs and birds were making a sound. Fortunately the tornado turned and went across the street missing us and our neighborhood. We saw it jump and at the same time appear to go around a farmhouse. (We didn't know what multiple vortices looked like at the time.)

Best advice pay attention to watches which can quickly becoming warnings.

Get to the lowest level in the home and put as many walls between you and the tornado. Have a plan. I became so paranoid from seeing and running from 3 tornadoes by the time I was 21 it became automatic that no matter where I went during storm season I'd always be looking for a spot to go if a tornado appeared.

I remember not so many years ago Oklahoma had such a large tornado coming slowly to the city the weatherman (Gary someone) told people to get in their cars and leave if they had no shelter. I think he saved many lives .

Some here might recall the devastating tornado that hit West Bloomfield, MI in the mid-70s (1976). This powerful storm came dangerously close to the community where I lived at the time. I remember the scary-looking greenish sky that surrounded our house long before the sirens blared. There was no rain, no wind - just an eery quiet and that ominous green sky. By the time the sirens sounded, I had already taken toddler DD, our dog, a radio, some snacks and headed for the basement.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/wbtor.php

Some here might recall the devastating tornado that hit West Bloomfield, MI in the mid-70s. This powerful storm came dangerously to close to the community where I lived at the time. I remember the scary-looking greenish sky that surrounded our house long before the sirens blared. There was no rain, no wind - just an eery quiet and that ominous green sky. By the time the sirens sounded, I had already taken toddler DD, our dog, a radio, and some snacks and headed for the basement.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/wbtor.php

FYI-the green sky comes from the large amount of hail in the clouds, they affect the light coming through. And large hail almost always precedes a tornado.

Hi neighbor, I'm in Flint. We don't usually get direct hits either, but when we do, they are doozies. I'm worried about Fenton, they had an F1 and a lot of "almost tornadoes" last year, I hope this year isn't worse.

I'm sorry to hear you are basement-less. Do you have pets? If so, pay them some special attention, they really do know what's about to happen with the weather. If all else fails and you are in one of the areas that has drainage ditches, and you really feel that you won't be safe in the house, run with a blanket to the ditch. My grandmother did that a few times when she lived in Beecher, and she lived through their big tornado.

Otherwise, get a packing quilt, and keep it in an interior room with no windows. The quilt might help keep you safe from flying things if you have to duck and cover. I throw a packing quilt over my kids every time we have to go to the basement.

Or you can come to my house during warnings, LOL, I have a big basement.

Michigan is not known for getting hit by tornadoes, let alone early in the year. This is because of abnormally warm winter we have. We are paying the price for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back