7.6 Quake between Acapulco and Mexico City

Herding Cats

Reaction score
USGS confirming 7.6.

Coming over the news. Some reports put it at 7.9. More to come. Some reports may change the magnitude.

Say a prayer...this is a bad place for such a large quake.

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA:
saying 30 mi. east of Acapulco, which tends to rule out tsunami as it's under land and not sea. However, aftershocks or concommitant seabed eqs may occur, which may lead to tsunami warnings.

First reports put it at between 7.6 and 7.9. USGS has not verified this yet.

Personal noting: this adds pressure northward to the faults coming up through Calif, Or, and WA. Lots of large mag quakes in recent years - Banda Achi, Australia/New Zealand, Haiti, Japan, Chile (I think), and Mexico. Only one last spot for a big one...and that's the west coast. Sigh.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-032012-acapulco-quake-story,0,2847120.story

Saying location is now 100 miles outside of Acapulco, but felt strongly in Acapulco. 10 miles deep in the earth's crust, very shallow quake (me). Shallow quakes tend to feel far more violent than deeper ones; damage will be greater because of shallow depth.

Reports are starting to come in. shaking "felt like a very long time." "Dogs barking, lots of noise, lots falling, nothing down."

Phone lines are jammed.

More as it comes

ETA: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/0...exico-city-feel-strong-long-quake--73984.html

No tsunami expected from this quake. Subsequent earth movement/quakes in sea bed and/or on coast (as earth adjusts to new position; need large magnitude, though) may cause tsunami, but none are expected at this time.

Also in news today, 10 severed heads found in Acapulco this am. I have been to Acapulco. Lots of high rise condos.

I think the President needs to get his daughter out of there. Anyone know how close she is? Not that I believe in some of these crazy predictions,but on some blogs they are saying this is a foreshock. I would be worried sick if I was a parent.

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 7.6
Date-Time

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 18:02:48 UTC
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 12:02:48 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 16.662°N, 98.188°W
Depth 17.5 km (10.9 miles)
Region OAXACA, MEXICO

Isn't this where Obama's daughter was traveling to for a school trip? :waitasec:

MEXICO CITY (CBS Houston) – A magnitude 7.6 earthquake has struck near Acapulco, Mexico, a favorite tourist destination.

The United States Geological Survey reports that the quake’s epicenter was 11 miles underground and 115 miles from Acapulco, in the Oaxaca region, where President Obama’s 13-year-old daughter Malia is reportedly staying for spring break.

“You can definitely have some pretty significant damage for the region,” USGS geophysicist Julie Dutton told CBS Houston, adding they have seen aftershocks in the magnitude 5.0 range since the initial quake.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/20/strong-earthquake-strikes-near-acapulco/

I dunno about the President's daughter, but I work with some people from Oaxaca and they are concerned. :(

One of them even brought me a gift from there on their last visit.

There is always a chance that this is a foreshock. For every hour that passes, the chances reduce, though.

What will be interesting to watch is the pattern of expanding eqs over a period of a few weeks.

I am so hoping this was as well-weathered as they are saying...

Best-
Herding Cats

Another brocky family vacation with 25 secret service and air force one at the tax payers expense while most folks are having trouble just paying medical bill and getting meds.

Oh, please. We don't have a king or queen or a clan of princes and princesses to represent the U.S. abroad. We don't even have a separate president and prime minister, as some democracies do, so that one can govern while the other is the visible representative at public events.

So the families of presidents--ALL presidents--fill in as unpaid representatives of state. And that involves travel abroad as well as receptions at the White House.

If you're really worried about federal expenditures, maintaining entire battalions in the Middle East, Europe and East Asia dwarfs the cost of a school trip to Mexico.

Anyone else notice how these earthquakes seem to be occurring around 180 to 190 days apart? I read that somewhere and just wondered if anyone had noticed that or what you guys thought about it?

I think the President needs to get his daughter out of there. Anyone know how close she is? Not that I believe in some of these crazy predictions,but on some blogs they are saying this is a foreshock. I would be worried sick if I was a parent.

I would be worried about the above but even more so I'd be worried about her safety now that all the drug cartels and kidnappers know where she is, oh and not to mention terrorists!Her location, not even the country's name should have ever been released because of security!

And yes I know that she has a security force with her but their job has just been made so much harder!

I found that every since the government started experimenting with HAARP we have had some of the most horrific weather since they started keeping records. If you want to read something scary read about this.I think I have posted this on other sites so some of you may have already read about it.

http://www.bariumblues.com/haarp1.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back