GUILTY TX - Edgar Whitt for sex abuse, child endangerment, Big Spring, 2012

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
At 1:36 AM police encountered a 7 Year old who was riding his bike telling them he was running away from home.

No doubt the poor lil guy had good reason for his escape. Police went to his home to find he was being held in a staright jacket. Poor kid. It's not clear how he escaped.

Sadly it also came to light that he was born to his mom who is the biological woman's biological father.

More at link including mugshots.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/child-84286-county-howard.html

Tamara Ruth Whitt

and

Edgar Dale Whitt

Judgement reserved for this lady because I have no idea in Holy He*l how bad that had to be.

Two other children were removed from the home as well.

My bad. The thread head should be "boy" singular. Also, I got confused with a father being a grandfather and biology and all that.

Basically, the neighbor already called CPS back in January. The family lived with no water for at least the last year. Edgar Whitt wouldn't let Tamara Whitt out of his sight and also covered all the windows in the home.

http://www.kwes.com/story/17205634/...gation-tells-newswest9-they-called-cps-before

It looks like he's originally from AL or MS, and has lived all over the place. I shudder to think how many other families are out there in plain sight like this?

That little guy not only saved himself, but saved the whole shabang.

Gotta wonder where Tamara Whitt's mother is? If my hunch is right she got some nerve or no nerve or maybe she was kept in a straight jacket?

Wha :eek:

This one has me scratching my head.

The release stated that authorities contacted family who said they’d restrained the child by using a “straight jacket,” and they didn’t know how he got out. Upon further investigation it was determined that the living conditions of the residence were “not suitable,” the release stated.

The release stated Child Protective Services took custody of three children ages who were aged 7, 5 and 2.

The mother of the children, 26-year-old Tamara Ruth Whitt, and their grandfather 54-year-old Edgar Dale Whitt were both charged with endangering a child, the release stated.

Investigators then also discovered that Edgar Whitt had fathered a child with his daughter, Tamara Whitt. As a result, Edgar Whitt was also charged with prohibited sexual conduct with descendant, a second-degree felony.

Are all of the 3 kids products of incest? or just the boy?

I need to go wash my brain, I'll check back later. *shudder*

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/authorities-abused-youth-was-running-away-home

“As part of the investigation we were trying to determine who the father of the children were,” Parker said. “The family had only moved to Big Spring about two years ago, which was making that somewhat difficult. However, after speaking to them for a while, it was discovered that Edgar Whitt — who is Tamara Whitt's father — had fathered at least one of the children with his daughter. That's when the decision was made to file additional charges against Edgar Whitt.”

Edgar Whitt was later charged with prohibited sexual conduct – incest, a second-degree felony, according to Big Spring Police Department arrest records.

Parker declined to comment on the physical condition of the children at this time or whether there is evidence of physical abuse or molestation.

“I can't comment on that right now, as this is an ongoing investigation,” Parker said. “We're preparing this information to be turned over to the district attorney's office.”

Jesus take the wheel. If the oldest child is fathered by "him" than who do the two youngest belong to? How does that work? Where's the grandmom and does she or did she know?

Oh yeah that guy has lived all over. Name it. Don't even freak out, but somewhere someone asked if the mom is actually the father/grandpop's sister's child? Like than he'd be her Uncle too. That I believe was speculation, but who knows?

This littles will at least I pray be given a good chance at a decent life.

Were the other two kids restrained as well? Man, the 7 year old had more sense than the adults.

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/additional-charges-filed-against-whitt

Additional charges filed against Whitt

A charge of continuous sexual abuse of a child has been filed against the 54-year-old Big Spring man who was arrested in mid-March on charges of abandoning/endangering a child – criminal negligence and prohibited sexual conduct – incest, according to investigators

While the investigation continues, the three children have been removed from the home by Child Protective Services and are currently in foster care.

“From what I've heard, the children are doing very well in foster care,” Parker said.

:eek:hoh: :eek:hoh: :eek:hoh: ....

Will someone please tell me why the suspects' names all seem to be highlighted in red?

Is this being done for any particular reason? I had planned to post.

Thanks! :wave:

My bad. The thread head should be "boy" singular. Also, I got confused with a father being a grandfather and biology and all that.

Basically, the neighbor already called CPS back in January. The family lived with no water for at least the last year. Edgar Whitt wouldn't let Tamara Whitt out of his sight and also covered all the windows in the home.
http://www.kwes.com/story/17205634/...gation-tells-newswest9-they-called-cps-before

It looks like he's originally from AL or MS, and has lived all over the place. I shudder to think how many other families are out there in plain sight like this?

That little guy not only saved himself, but saved the whole shabang.

Gotta wonder where Tamara Whitt's mother is? If my hunch is right she got some nerve or no nerve or maybe she was kept in a straight jacket?

BBM

Signs of an obsession with his daughter? Did he not want others seeing in, or he didn't want her seeing out?

I question whether it is right to charge the mother in this case. If she was being isolated from others as well as being abused and controlled, and if she had grown up that way she probably really didn't know any better or didn't know what to do.

What surprises me in this case is that he acknowleged the father/daughter relationship. I am surprised that he didn't move in and introduce them as husband/wife. Which makes me wonder, was it because he didn't care or because he didn't know any better?

That man should rot in prison.

He probably won't.

BIG SPRING - There's outrage in Big Spring after a man accused of fathering a child with his own daughter cut a plea deal in his case.

On Friday, Whitt accepted a plea bargain.

He plead guilty to one count of the incest charge for 10 years of prison time.

In exchange, the four counts of indecency with a child were dismissed.

Whitt will have to serve at least a quarter of his sentence before he's eligible for parole. He will also have to register as a sex offender once he's released. Orr said the children involved in the case are under the control of Child Protective Services.

http://www.kwes.com/story/19627994/howard-county-asst-da-speaks-about-edgar-whitt-plea-deal

Whitt was represented by Sweetwater attorney Trey Keith, while Assistant District Attorney Robin Orr represented the state.

The sentence was handed down by 118th District Court Judge Timothy Yeats, who asked if Whitt had any questions.

“My only question is that the court take under consideration my health. I’m a cripple and disabled,” Whitt said quietly.

According to Orr, Whitt will be required to serve 25 percent of his sentence — in this case, approximately two years with his time spent in the county detention center awaiting trial considered — before he is eligible for parole.

Orr said he was satisfied with the outcome of the plea agreement, despite the dismissal of several charges.

“It took me a long time just to go through the reports written on this case and try to construct a timeline and get some idea of the sequence in which things occurred,” Orr said. “Having done that and having evaluated what I found it was my opinion — in certain respects, especially toward the charge of prohibited sexual conduct — I felt quite sure we could get a conviction. The question became, ‘What would a jury do with that?’ My experience with juries is there’s no way to tell.

Given the unpredictable nature of a jury trial or subsequent punishment phase, Orr said he felt comfortable with the outcome of Friday’s proceedings.

“I don’t believe I’ve ever (met) anyone who confused a 10-year sentence in the Texas prison system with a day at the beach,” Orr said firmly. “Regardless of how much time he does serve or not serve, he is a convicted felon. We were able to accomplish that without the risk to us of a trial. I know people might think he might have gotten a different sentence (at trial) ... and that’s true, he might have. However, he might not have. What if a jury comes back with a three-year sentence?

“One of the things I’ve come to appreciate in the dozen years I’ve been doing this is I value the certainty of a conviction which results from a plea agreement rather than the chance to perhaps obtain a greater sentence. A bird in the hand is still worth two in the bush.

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/whitt-gets-10-years-prison-time

Ugh.

A short sentence from a West Texas jury on this case?

Not very likely if LE and prosecutors have done their job well.

MOO.

As gross as this is, what he did doesn't carry a long prison sentence from what I can tell.

In a quick google effort, incest between consenting adults in the US is a class c felony (some states call it a third degree felony, same thing) and it carries a sentence of 2-10 years.

Whitt was charged with and pled guilty to a second degree felony. Second degree felony in Texas is 2-20 years.

Edgar Whitt was later charged with prohibited sexual conduct – incest, a second-degree felony, according to Big Spring Police Department arrest records.

http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/authorities-abused-youth-was-running-away-home

Sec. 25.02. PROHIBITED SEXUAL CONDUCT.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with another person the actor knows to be, without regard to legitimacy:

(1) the actor's ancestor or descendant by blood or adoption;
(2) the actor's current or former stepchild or stepparent;
(3) the actor's parent's brother or sister of the whole or half blood;
(4) the actor's brother or sister of the whole or half blood or by adoption;
(5) the children of the actor's brother or sister of the whole or half blood or by adoption; or
(6) the son or daughter of the actor's aunt or uncle of the whole or half blood or by adoption.

(b) For purposes of this section:

(1) "Deviate sexual intercourse" means any contact between the genitals of one person and the mouth or anus of another person with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.

(2) "Sexual intercourse" means any penetration of the female sex organ by the male sex organ.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (a)(1), in which event the offense is a felony of the second degree.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Amended by:
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 268, Sec. 4.04, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 673, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2009.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.25.htm

Sec. 12.33. SECOND DEGREE FELONY PUNISHMENT.

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than 20 years or less than 2 years.

(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 12.32 by Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 1124, ch. 426, art. 2, Sec. 2, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Amended by:
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 87, Sec. 25.147, eff. September 1, 2009.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.12.htm

BBM

Wha :eek:

This one has me scratching my head.

Are all of the 3 kids products of incest? or just the boy?

I need to go wash my brain, I'll check back later. *shudder*
March 21, 2012 - Post #4

Jesus take the wheel. If the oldest child is fathered by "him" than who do the two youngest belong to? How does that work? Where's the grandmom and does she or did she know?

Oh yeah that guy has lived all over. Name it. Don't even freak out, but somewhere someone asked if the mom is actually the father/grandpop's sister's child? Like than he'd be her Uncle too. That I believe was speculation, but who knows?

This littles will at least I pray be given a good chance at a decent life.
Were the other two kids restrained as well? Man, the 7 year old had more sense than the adults.
March 21, 2012 - Post #6

I followed this case even though I did not post. I did extensive sleuthing trying to find a mother figure, or other relatives for Tamara Whitt. The only results I had was just what Filly said, Edgar Whitt had lived everywhere. Hard to track in court records for that reason. and I suspected names were changed all along.

iMO, Edgar Whitt was a vile, evil person. I so much wanted to see him be imprisoned for many, many years. Tamara should have also received a jail term for her part in the child endangerment/child abuse. Those charges were apparently dropped in the plea deal. I felt fairly confident that all three of the children were fathered by Edgar Whitt. If the court did their job, DNA records on all three children would have been established early on for evidence of incest.

I hope and pray the three little children have good homes and never have to see the faces of Edgar and Tamara Whitt for the rest of their lives. :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

My feelings on learning of the plea deals and light sentence for Edgar and lack of any sentence for Tamara was disgust.

According to Marleigh Meisner, public information officer for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS), all three children are currently in the agency’s conservatorship.
“Two of the children have been placed, together, in a foster home,” Meisner said. “The third child has been placed separately. All three are doing very well at this time."

September 22, 2012

:tyou:

Hi Lois, I would like to personally thank you for letting us know the outcome of this horrible case of incest. It is comforting to know that the community of Big Spring is outraged about the outcome of this case as well, and that
there are people like you who cared enough to follow it to the end.

My concern now is that in some way Tamara Whitt will regain custody of the children, to benefit from the state welfare income for them, as none of the three children appear to be privately adopted but are in the control of Texas DFPS's conservatorship program.

Orr said he was satisfied with the outcome of the plea agreement, despite the dismissal of several charges

Ugh.

A short sentence from a West Texas jury on this case?

Not very likely if LE and prosecutors have done their job well. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back