Identified! NV - Washoe Co., BlkFem UP2051, 26-36, off I-80, Jul'03 *Charlene Stinson, Oakland CA*

micheleonelonly

Reaction score
I was just looking at a possible match for a local Jane Doe, and noticed she does not have a thread here.

http://www.washoesheriff.com/MP-JANEDOE3.pdf

She was between 26 and 36, 5'3" to 5'7" with many teeth missing.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2051

According to her NamUs profile, she had a few healed injuries.

Only one rule-out, Aussie Binford

Here is Lora Lyann Stubbs. Very strange case, she called her parents for a ride, but when they arrived she was gone. She left a son behind.

http://charleyproject.org/cases/s/stubbs_lora.html

I see a resemblance to Jane Doe, especially in the nose. She went missing in 1996, plenty of time for her teeth to get bad (meth?) and for her to wind up in the Reno area. IIRC, northern NV had a big meth problem back then.

Her age and height are also within range of the UID

Lora's NamUs page has no dentals listed.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10684/0/

That dirt road is the one that runs about 100 yards from the river and there's that abandoned house right there. Know which one I mean?

Charlie, I think so. The really huge abandoned building, correct? I must have driven past it a thousand times. In looking at it now on Google Maps, it looks like a different place. I might need to drive out there soon (no biggie, I live in northwest Reno by McQueen High so this is not far)

Yeah that should be the one. It's a dark brown/black color with some graffiti. I believe I read once that she was found by a man walking his dog.

I would be able to call this match in tomorrow, but I would like to get some feedback on it, in case there is anything I missed. I see a resemblance, and I asked my husband for his opinion and his eyes got big and he said "Woah!" but I know that many of you Sleuthers are much more experienced than I am

I was thinking I could look at the dental chart to see if she had "several fillings in her back molars", as her Charley Project page indicates.

But the UID is missing all but one of her back molars, and the one that remains does have a filling. She could have lost them all during the seven year interim, so it's inconclusive on that point.

Any mention of a tattoo on the remains? The missing woman is noted as having a tattoo of a rose on her chest.

Any mention of a tattoo on the remains? The missing woman is noted as having a tattoo of a rose on her chest.

Good catch, Charlie. I don't see any mention of it, but the Sheriff's bulletin states the remains were "decomposing." I'm not certain what that means. Is it possible that the skin had, um, already rotted away? Perhaps when I call on it, I can ask for more details on the state of the remains when they were discovered.

I emailed Rudy today to ask about the possibility of tattoos and to present the possible match. Rudy is stellar so when I hear back from him I will report back.

Heard back from Rudy (he is quick, like I said, he is a rock star) and he gave me the following useful info

Thanks Michelle,

Here in Nevada, even with severe decomposition, bodies tend to mummify. Even with mummification, a tattoo is clearly visible. I would be confident in saying that a tattoo would have been clearly visible with our unidentified female.

Thanks,

Rudy

So would it be safe to say that Lyann is most likely ruled out (based on no evidence of a tattoo on the UID)?

I wonder if she might have been homeless (based on the condition of her teeth).

Traacker, yes, the investigator is calling Loran Lyann Stubbs a rule out on the basis of the tattoo.

She definitely could have been homeless and possibly never reported missing. :(

NamUs profile last updated 2015, here are the rule outs:

Aussie Binford 1957 Arizona
Fonya Harris 1972 California
Monika Jenkins 1967 California
Monta Maria Long 1959 Nevada
Brenda Newsome 1949 California
Brenda Powers 1950 Nevada

She is listed on the Washoe County Sheriff's Office Unsolved Homicides

Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Northern Nevada's Full Service Law Enforcement Agency

Case#: WC03-8336
CharleneStinson-combined.jpg

Victim: Charlene Stinson
Date of Occurrence: July 25, 2003

Synopsis:
On July 25, 2003 the decomposing remains of a black female adult were discovered on a dirt frontage road in Mogul, Nevada, which is located west of Reno, Nevada. The road, which runs along the south side of Interstate 80, is access for several residences and a storage facility. The victim in this case who had remained an unidentified Jane Doe has now been identified.

**Positively identified as Charlene Stinson from Oakland, CA**

This agency is actively seeking anyone who may have knowledge about this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back