Dateline tonight @10 PM - March 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsu95

Reaction score
Looks like tonight is the Dateline episode on the Michelle Young murder.

I was a bit disappointed more of the focus wasn't on the second trial.

I was a bit disappointed more of the focus wasn't on the second trial.

I was too Glee.
It was evenhanded in that it didn't promote Jason's infidelities and 'tricks'... yet brought them out. I was glad to see they used the day care worker and the dolls. Sure wish they would have or could have used the 911 call wherein CY was saying 'Daddy did it'.
I was happy they did seem to humanize Michelle in an excellent light as a mother and as a person. What a gorgeous smile she had, reminds me of Lacy P.'s smile.

Meant to say in my other post that I came away from watching Dateline with a renewed respect for BH. She looked very nice and came across as very competent.

I was too Glee.
It was evenhanded in that it didn't promote Jason's infidelities and 'tricks'... yet brought them out. I was glad to see they used the day care worker and the dolls. Sure wish they would have or could have used the 911 call wherein CY was saying 'Daddy did it'.
I was happy they did seem to humanize Michelle in an excellent light as a mother and as a person. What a gorgeous smile she had, reminds me of Lacy P.'s smile.

Me too!! I thought Dateline did a good job but I'm hoping that 48 hrs will do 2 hrs. Have to say it really hit home with me when they focused in on Cassidy's little footprints with her mother's blood. I'm so glad Jason is locked up for life.

Me too!! I thought Dateline did a good job but I'm hoping that 48 hrs will do 2 hrs. Have to say it really hit home with me when they focused in on Cassidy's little footprints with her mother's blood. I'm so glad Jason is locked up for life.

I have friends out of state who only knew about this case because of my talking about it as well as both trials. They watched Dateline last night and both wrote to tell me they found JY evil. Not to mention they, just based on the Dateline program, thought he was guilty as heck. Both were immensely touched by the little footprints in blood and what they meant.....that CY had been at her dead mother's body. Chilling, and I hope and pray she will grow up and never have any memory of it whatsoever.
If anybody hears anything about 48 hours doing a program, please let us know!

I thought the program was informative for those folks who perhaps had only followed it in the media -- IIRC, there was only 1 photo that made JW look other than unattractive physically (that was mean, I know). And NCEast, you report of your friend's comments upon seeing it were interesting, but not surprising.

I would have liked for them to have said a bit more about the absolute brutality of the attack on MY, and to perhaps show that this indeed was a personal and rage- and hate-filled crime.

I also liked the interview with Becky Holt -- she looked rested (bless her), attractive, friendly and sharp. She's no Clarence Darrow, but I think she did work her buns off on this case, and she did help bring it in.

All around, they did a good job.

I have friends out of state who only knew about this case because of my talking about it as well as both trials. They watched Dateline last night and both wrote to tell me they found JY evil. Not to mention they, just based on the Dateline program, thought he was guilty as heck. Both were immensely touched by the little footprints in blood and what they meant.....that CY had been at her dead mother's body. Chilling, and I hope and pray she will grow up and never have any memory of it whatsoever.
If anybody hears anything about 48 hours doing a program, please let us know!

If I didn't know anything about this case, I would have thought the same as your friends. What hooked me into this case in the first place was that he broke up his short business trip and spent the nite in a hotel. I used to do a 5 hr trip all the time to see my parents and never ever considered breaking it up. The fact that Dateline zeroed in on the 2 1/2 hr trip and Gracie seeing him at 5:30 am., was compelling.

I thought the program was informative for those folks who perhaps had only followed it in the media -- IIRC, there was only 1 photo that made JW look other than unattractive physically (that was mean, I know). And NCEast, you report of your friend's comments upon seeing it were interesting, but not surprising.

I would have liked for them to have said a bit more about the absolute brutality of the attack on MY, and to perhaps show that this indeed was a personal and rage- and hate-filled crime.

I also liked the interview with Becky Holt -- she looked rested (bless her), attractive, friendly and sharp. She's no Clarence Darrow, but I think she did work her buns off on this case, and she did help bring it in.

All around, they did a good job.

Hi Borndem!:heartbeat:

Me too, but, perhaps to lure viewers, from the onset, they used the angle of The Silent Witness. I have to say I was kinda leery when I heard the title. In the end though (for 40 mins or whatever) I thought they did a good job with the little footprints, the daycare witness and stating that the jury requested to see Cassidy's pjs when they were deliberating.

My daughters were here for a cook-out, they just left. They were talking to each other about the program last night, and all of them were brought to tears during the video at the end of the program, where Cassidy says "I love you mommy" & Michelle says "I love you too, Cassidy." Daughters all said "do you know how unusual it is for a child of 2 1/2 years old to initiate the 'I love you.' They were reflecting on the fact that children of that age are far more likely to 'respond' to 'I love you's', but are usually too young to *initiate* the sentiment themselves. It was their opinion as to the quality of love shared between Michelle & Cassidy. And 'what a tragedy it is that love was stolen from her forever by her own father.'

If I didn't know anything about this case, I would have thought the same as your friends. What hooked me into this case in the first place was that he broke up his short business trip and spent the nite in a hotel. I used to do a 5 hr trip all the time to see my parents and never ever considered breaking it up. The fact that Dateline zeroed in on the 2 1/2 hr trip and Gracie seeing him at 5:30 am., was compelling.

[ ETA: BBM ]

Jilly, you make a good point here, indeed. I thought this "short stop" at the Cracker Barrel was suspect as well as his stopping in Hillsville to sleep. Why, Jason?

I checked on Google Maps, and it is 4--5 hour trip from Raleigh to Brevard, depending on your route (US 40 all the way, or US 40/US 64). I'm sure JY made that trip home & back a number of times in his years spent in Raleigh, and to a college student or young adult (giving JY dubious credit for being an adult), a 4+ hour driving trip would be nothing.

I had always wondered why he did not leave Raleigh earlier that he did, regardless of where he planned to stay, and then I realized that he wanted to wait till Shelley showed up to prove that poor MY was still alive when he left Raleigh. Duh. Of course.

What a planner this philandering, lying, brutal man was on this venture -- and he nearly pulled it off, but The Prevailing Winds were having none of it.
icon10.gif

:jail: Let Johnny Cash sing it for ya, Jason-boy: :guitar:

I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.
Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free ..
icon9.gif

But those people keep a movin,':violin:
And that's what tortures me...:anguish:

Well if they freed me from this prison,
:bricks:
If that railroad train was mine
I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line...
:boohoo:
Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay
And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.....
:guitar:

{ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/johnny-cash-lyrics/folsom-prison-blues-lyrics.html }

:pinocchio: ------> :behindbar .............:yesss:

:justice:

I found the title of the story misleading. CY was anything but silent. She chattered a lot. Mentioned seeing her daddy. Said it twice on the 911 call. "Daddy did it." Mentioned daddy again and again to Meredith. Then, days later she talked about her mommy getting a spanking and boo boos all over.

A witness, but not so silent. She said who did it.

Keith Morrison's voice so creeps me out. i know that it has nothing to do about this case but anytime I hear it (as I did in this episode) I just get the heevie-jeevies. Ok, back on topic.

LOL. If you've never seen Saturday Night Live's Bill Hader's impression of Mr. Morrison, you should. He nails his inflections and manners. It's a classic.

[ ETA: BBM ]

Jilly, you make a good point here, indeed. I thought this "short stop" at the Cracker Barrel was suspect as well as his stopping in Hillsville to sleep. Why, Jason?

I checked on Google Maps, and it is 4--5 hour trip from Raleigh to Brevard, depending on your route (US 40 all the way, or US 40/US 64). I'm sure JY made that trip home & back a number of times in his years spent in Raleigh, and to a college student or young adult (giving JY dubious credit for being an adult), a 4+ hour driving trip would be nothing.

I had always wondered why he did not leave Raleigh earlier that he did, regardless of where he planned to stay, and then I realized that he wanted to wait till Shelley showed up to prove that poor MY was still alive when he left Raleigh. Duh. Of course.

What a planner this philandering, lying, brutal man was on this venture -- and he nearly pulled it off, but The Prevailing Winds were having none of it.
icon10.gif

:jail: Let Johnny Cash sing it for ya, Jason-boy: :guitar:

I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.
Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free ..
icon9.gif

But those people keep a movin,':violin:
And that's what tortures me...:anguish:

Well if they freed me from this prison,
:bricks:
If that railroad train was mine
I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line...
:boohoo:
Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay
And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.....
:guitar:

{ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/johnny-cash-lyrics/folsom-prison-blues-lyrics.html }

:pinocchio: ------> :behindbar .............:yesss:

:justice:

Yeah.....and he was a travelling salesman - used to driving. I don't know what the point of the CB was either. Maybe he was just hungry! hehe The things we'll never know, hey? I'd sure like to know where he slung his garbage bag though.

And speaking of Johnny Cash, we now have a Boy named Lynn instead of Sue!:woohoo:

I find it highly ironic he just had to get to Cracker Barrel and lo and behold, the video from CB, showing those HP rounded toe shoes right on his feet hours before the murder, helped get him convicted.

Hi Borndem!:heartbeat:

Me too, but, perhaps to lure viewers, from the onset, they used the angle of The Silent Witness. I have to say I was kinda leery when I heard the title. In the end though (for 40 mins or whatever) I thought they did a good job with the little footprints, the daycare witness and stating that the jury requested to see Cassidy's pjs when they were deliberating.

:wave: Hi back to you, Jilly -- Nice to hear from ya -- I apologize for not responding, but just now getting back into this...:blowkiss:

You do make a good point -- reporters like to have a hook, and the Silent Witness was a good one -- horribly unique though it is. They developed it "easily" on the ears of the viewers, and I guess that was the point. A little child -- bing left in that mess, as we know so well. It is a shame, however that they didn't play part of the 911 call (maybe not enuff time), so that at least the viewers could hear her little voice -- even if they didn't use the "Daddy did (do?) it," part.

They did play a part of the 911 call and included captions along the bottom of the screen as well. The part where CY talks about "boo boos" was included. They did not play the part where CY says "Daddy did it," probably because they didn't want to give away the ending of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth