Coffee deal grinds to halt

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
The man who was working to open the state's first Bad *advertiser censored* Coffee shop said Monday he will halt plans for the business because of personal reasons.

Lindenhurst resident Tony Liotta canceled his lease Monday, ending efforts to open the controversial Hawaiian-themed coffee shop next to the new Wal-Mart in Antioch.

"Nobody pulled the plug on us. This is just one of those battles you've got to give up," said Liotta, an independent computer consultant.

Last weekend, media reports brought to light that in 1988, Liotta pleaded guilty to murdering his girlfriend and dumping her body in Lake Michigan.

"It was during an argument and was a stupid, idiotic mistake," he said. "I wake up with it every day."

Liotta was sentenced to 20 years in prison and served about 10 years before he was released on parole in 1997.

"It's been 17 years, and I think I've proven myself," Liotta said.

Bad *advertiser censored* Coffee Company official Harold Hill said the corporation has mutually agreed with Liotta to terminate plans for this store.

"If someone else were to come in and want to open a store in Antioch, we would support them," Hill said.

Another franchise is being planned for West Dundee.

Ever since plans surfaced for the coffee shop in Antioch, residents voiced concern over its name.

Several parents said they didn't want a sign in town bearing the company's name and logo of a donkey. Residents circulated petitions last week in an attempt to halt the store's opening.

"I'm relieved that our community, especially our children, do not have to be forced to view profanity," said resident Marion Rush, who started the petition drive. "Bad *advertiser censored* knows they stir up controversy and they do it on purpose."

Last week, the Antioch village board passed a resolution condemning the name of the coffee shop to show it wasn't appropriate for their town.

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/main_story.asp?intID=3831416

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back