2012 Hurricane Season

HMSHood

Admiral-Class Battlecruiser
Reaction score
Yep, it's time to start preparing for hurricane season. I'm in Louisiana so we really have to be on guard for these things. Plus I am also a first responder which means that I would be helping with relief efforts if my area got hit or going to where it makes landfall and helping there.

I usually prepare for the season by saving gallon jugs. They can be filled with water and/or frozen in the freezer which will help keep the freezer cool if we lose electricity. We keep them in the freezer anyway because less open space in the freezer makes it more energy efficient anyway. The extra water will come in handy because if our electric is out, so is our water supply.

I also gather up all of the candles and batteries that I can find along with matches lighters, lighter fluid, etc and keep them in the same space. I make note of the batteries that we need and buy a large pack of assorted size batteries, including the ones for the radio,

I stock up on things like shelf-stable milk which doesn't need refrigeration till after it is open. Walmart reports tha their #1 best selling food when people are in danger of a hurricane hitting is poptarts, yep, strawberry poptarts.

We also get charcoal and charcoal fluid since no electricity means we will be using meat from the freezer before it goes bad.

Important papers and photos can be put in ziplock bags and stored in a tote to protect them and to make them easy to pick up and carry if need be.

I stock up on books from the library, pack an entertainment kit with cards, games, puzzles, puzzles books coloring books, etc for me and the grandkids and family to keep us busy if there is no electricity.

We fuel up the cars, 4 wheelers and the tractor so that we can evacuate or clear the rods of downed trees after the storm. Our community doesn't wait for the govt to clear our roads, before the last winds subside, farmers and their families and workers are out there clearing the roads so the electric company can get us hooked back up as asap. We also check our small generator to make sure it is in working order and fill it and spare gas cans full since generators use a lot of gas.

I buy supplies such as baby wipes, rubbing alcohol, mosquito spray, sunscreen ( for the aftermath as we clean up in the hot sun), and other useful things like that.

With all of that done, there is little else to do but sit back, watch the storm's track and gather with family and friends (since schools and most businesses are closed) while we wait to see where it makes landfall.

Really, it is not so bad, it is just a part of life and everyplace you may live has some sort of natural disaster such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc that affect that region.

As a kid we used to love when hurricanes were approaching because school was out and we got to stay up late, eat junk food and enjoy the hurricane parties. Usually it is a false alarm or we are only mildly hit but it never hurts to be prepared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back