Huge quake strikes off Indonesia, tsunami warning issued

8.9 earthquake hits Indonesia, tremors felt in India

People on Twitter said tremors were felt in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and India. High-rise apartments and offices on Malaysia's west coast shook for at least a minute.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami watch was in effect for Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Myanmar, Thailand, the Maldives and other Indian Ocean islands, Malaysia, Pakistan, Somalia, Oman, Iran, Bangladesh, Kenya, South Africa and Singapore.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...remors-felt-in-India/articleshow/12622213.cms

Large Aceh quake triggers Indian Ocean tsunami warning

The US Geological Survey, which documents quakes worldwide, said the Aceh quake was centred 33km (20 miles) under the sea about 495km from Banda Aceh, the provincial capital.

It was initially reported as 8.9 magnitude but was later revised down to 8.7 by the USGS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17675399

The poor woman in the photo looks terrified. :(

Scary. Here's hoping there's no repeat of 2004.

The tsunami warning has been lifted. There were a few "mini" tsunamis (small waves) that did come ashore, but no damage and more importantly no deaths have been reported.

The eq was very deep in the crust - something along the lines of 20 miles beneath the surface for the original quake, and perhaps about 10 for the large aftershock. There is some correlation between depth of quake, type of quake, and the resultant tsunami; I don't know all the variables, but it looks like this time, a bullet was dodged.

Thank God.

Best-
Herding Cats

I don't like what the USGS has done with their site. :mad: It's my home page and I don't like changes, darn it! I'm a stick in the mud and I want to stay that way!! :maddening:

Anyhoo-- obviously this quake has a lot more to offer, imo. A quake that large and deep affects a lot of area above and below it that will shift and settle via aftershocks. But, the 2004 tsunami was generated by a thrusting movement of the ocean floor, this one a slip, or as Reuters put it, a tear, which is much less violent to the volume of water on top of it.

But, my heavens, there's been some HUGE quakes in the last decade or so.

the '04 catastrophe was a thrust fault, which means the movement is vertical; and because the thrust was soooooooo large, the water was displaced significantly. This, as you said, Quiche, was a slip fault, where the movement is horizontal, or sideways, and doesn't displace the water as much.

What I find interesting is that the movement is felt far more widely in slip quakes, and not necessarily as devastatingly, as compared to a thrust quake. Slip quakes "ripple" and thrust quakes "bounce." But the ripple can be felt farther than the bounce, and that's the interesting thing to me. LOL.

And yes, I don't recall any time in my life (and I've been following quakes for decades), or any that I've read about, where the amount of such large quakes have been compressed into such a short time frame.

Obviously, the ring of fire is moving, and moving quite radically. Studies have shown that over geological time (meaning eons, LOL), the "bottom" of the earth is moving towards the "top" of the earth. Some very cool computer graphics show how everything was once one really big piece of land, and now, eons later, we have all the different continents, oceans, and archipelagos. It seems as if the "bottom" (e.g. Indonesia, Australia/New Zealand, and the Vanuatu Islands) is splitting further apart, and putting more pressure on the mid Pacific areas (e.g. Japan, Chile, South America) and will eventually put pressure on the "top" areas (e.g. China, Russia, North America).

I don't like the frequency uptick, and I most certainly don't like the magnitude growth.

I wonder what's actually going on...all the doom/gloomers are saying it's all about 2012, or (the newer one) 2017, or pole shifts (some merit to that theory), or solar maximum, or planet X and it's gravitational pull...who knows. I don't think anyone knows for sure. I just know it's interesting, and a good reminder to make sure that I have my emergency supplies set and ready, for all the critters and for me.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie