I-80 NV/CA/UT, possible Serial Killer

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Officials aren't saying for sure. But they are looking at similarities between two cases: Patrick Carnes and Judith Casita. This is an article from last year, but I wanted it posted because of some info it contains. Both were last known to be in their cars. Both their cars were found in a field near the same exit.

To the east, Utah authorities are looking for a young man who disappeared in May along I-80 near Dugway. To the west, an elderly hitchhiker vanished in April in California's Humboldt County. Is it possible that the trucker who was traveling with Carnes is a killer -- even a serial killer -- maybe a husband and wife team who somehow gained Carnes' trust along the road?

"We got into the scenario with truckers. Pat, prior to getting into computers, was a trucker in southern California and had an admiration for truckers -- trusted truckers," said Kull

In 2009, the FBI established a task force to look at serial killers working as truck drivers. Since then, the bureau has profiled more than 200 possible trucker killers and more than 500 murder victims, many of them prostitutes.

At least 10 suspected serial killers have been arrested, including Chester Todd who was picked up in February in Las Vegas, suspected in a string of rapes and murders.

The bureau has a map of possible trucker slayings, including six in Nevada, but, has done little to publicize the task force and would not comment on this report.
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/15042...rists-in-northern-nevada?clienttype=printable

Nevada police agencies are receiving help from the FBI in searching for what could be a serial killer operating on our interstate highways.

One year ago, a Reno man vanished from Interstate 80 near Winnemucca, Nevada. An I-Team investigation found that police there had reason to believe that a serial killer, or more than one, could be responsible.
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/17426795/i-team-fbi-helping-with-missing-reno-man

Patrick Carnes and Lucky: Are they victims of an I-80 serial killer?
http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...cky-are-they-victims-of-an-i-80-serial-killer

Carnes had his dog with him when he disappeared

I was traveling I-80 during that time. Five days a week. We were all on high alert and when we were at the break checks we would look out for each other. we would run the hill in pairs. Two trucks or more at a time and in constant contact with each other. The CHP were very aware of every one and would stop any one but we knew why they were doing it so we just complied and hoped the people were caught.
Unfortunatly, I have had experience with being near or in the vacinity of a serial killer without knowing it until after the fact. Growing up it was Charles Ing and Leonard Lake in Wylsyville, Ca. Whom I stood in line at the store with. The Speed Freak killers, which one of them worked on a construction job with my father and myself, then to my horror I was put on alert by the I-80 situation. I am wary of EVERYONE!!!!

I was traveling I-80 during that time. Five days a week. We were all on high alert and when we were at the break checks we would look out for each other. we would run the hill in pairs. Two trucks or more at a time and in constant contact with each other. The CHP were very aware of every one and would stop any one but we knew why they were doing it so we just complied and hoped the people were caught.
Unfortunatly, I have had experience with being near or in the vacinity of a serial killer without knowing it until after the fact. Growing up it was Charles Ing and Leonard Lake in Wylsyville, Ca. Whom I stood in line at the store with. The Speed Freak killers, which one of them worked on a construction job with my father and myself, then to my horror I was put on alert by the I-80 situation. I am wary of EVERYONE!!!!

Yep after that I'd be pretty wary of people.....

In the 8newsnow link at the beginning of this thread is the following:

The trooper pulled Carnes over at a spot six miles east of Wells. The video shows Lucky's wagging tail in the back seat. Carnes apologized for not yielding the right lane and then made a remark that Kull thinks is key to the mystery, "I'm only following him because he is going to Elko."

How would Carnes have known this unless he either knew the truck driver prior to setting out, or had met and spoken to him, such as at a rest stop, on his journey?

It seems very likely there would have been CCTV of Carnes talking to the trucker somewhere along his route.

Actually, a thought about this.

Carney was clearly in his car when it was pulled over 6 miles east of Wells by a highway patrol chappie the night before his car was found.

Carney's car was found about 20 miles east of Winnemuca, which would be around Golconda I think, on the south (eastbound) side of I-80. (Or was it another junction?)

But if the trucker was going to Elko he and Carnes should have parted company at Elko, only an hour or two after Carney was pulled over.

The other issue is that there's nothing to indicate that when Carney was stopped by the highway patrol the trucker he was apparently following was pulled over at the same time. In that case, the trucker would have continued without him and they would have parted company by default, unless the trucker pulled off the road at the next junction and waited for Carney (there is a Loves at the junction at Wells). Or maybe he couldn't wait because he had a delivery deadline to meet.

Logistically this doesn't make sense.

Given his age and the fact he'd had a long journey, maybe Carney was tired and pulled off at Golconda to kip in his car for an hour but then became disorientated and missed his turning back onto I-80, hence ending up on the eastbound side of the highway. But what happened then?

In any event, Elko is a settlement of 20,000 people. If the trucker had told Carney the truth, that Elko was his destination, how many places could he have been delivering to in a town that size at 10pm or 11pm at night? The most logical would be the Walmart which closes to the public at midnight but staff would presumably be receiving deliveries and restocking through the night until it reopened at 5am. But wouldn't Walmart trucks be liveried?

I was wondering whence the Walmart in Elko would be supplied, and discovered there is a regional distribution centre at Grantsville, UT - SW of Salt Lake City and just a few miles south of I-80.

http://www.mwpvl.com/html/walmart.html
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...639208a838fb4!8m2!3d40.5999425!4d-112.4643988

Really, I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this. It's probably a load of cobblers.

Nevada police agencies are receiving help from the FBI in searching for what could be a serial killer operating on our interstate highways.

One year ago, a Reno man vanished from Interstate 80 near Winnemucca, Nevada. An I-Team investigation found that police there had reason to believe that a serial killer, or more than one, could be responsible.
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/17426795/i-team-fbi-helping-with-missing-reno-man

Patrick Carnes and Lucky: Are they victims of an I-80 serial killer?
http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...cky-are-they-victims-of-an-i-80-serial-killer

Carnes had his dog with him when he disappeared
I’m a girl who has been driving truck a long time. I wonder about Patrick Carner and his dog and that lady everytime I go through there. Not why, because if it’s a serial killer you wouldn’t get any kind of rational ‘reason’. But where they dumped the bodies. Digging a grave takes work. And a serial killer wouldn’t be interested in investing work into covering up what they had done. There is some sort of chemical lake in Nevada. I remember reading about it. Something to do with gold mining. Or a old mine shaft?

There was an abandoned gold/mustard and white old pickup with a boxy homemade camper on it on the shoulder at the 207 mm. Westbound a few days ago. About 1/2 mile east of 205 exit.
Then last night I came out of CA. The Donner Summit (eb side) rest area was closed. 2 SUV CA state cops were blocking the entrance with barricades to the rest area. They had one tractor trailer in there. A lot of cop cars and dark unmarked (detective-like?) cars in a wedge from the entrance to the open door of the truck cab. And the lights were on inside the truck. There was crime scene tape in a wide perimeter around the truck.

I’m a girl who has been driving truck a long time. I wonder about Patrick Carner and his dog and that lady everytime I go through there. Not why, because if it’s a serial killer you wouldn’t get any kind of rational ‘reason’. But where they dumped the bodies. Digging a grave takes work. And a serial killer wouldn’t be interested in investing work into covering up what they had done. There is some sort of chemical lake in Nevada. I remember reading about it. Something to do with gold mining. Or a old mine shaft?

There was an abandoned gold/mustard and white old pickup with a boxy homemade camper on it on the shoulder at the 207 mm. Westbound a few days ago. About 1/2 mile east of 205 exit.
Then last night I came out of CA. The Donner Summit (eb side) rest area was closed. 2 SUV CA state cops were blocking the entrance with barricades to the rest area. They had one tractor trailer in there. A lot of cop cars and dark unmarked (detective-like?) cars in a wedge from the entrance to the open door of the truck cab. And the lights were on inside the truck. There was crime scene tape in a wide perimeter around the truck.

That camper on the shoulder was gone when I came back through the 205 mm. There was a state cop sitting in the westbound side of the Golconda truck pull-off spot. It was good to see a more active police presence in the Area. There is a lot of odd activity there. I had to take my break (not at THAT pull off spot, but at the one further east of there on a summit) and someone was knocking on my truck sleeper at 2:39 am. Like I was going to open the curtain and roll my window down to talk to someone outside at 2 - 3 am!
A lot of weird activity there in the dark. I think it might be selling illegal drugs / prostitution? But prostitution is legal in Nevada, right?
Anyway!! You’re going in the right direction, NV state cops! MORE police presence, MORE cameras too, please!! A lot of the other truck drivers that go through there say to me the same thing. The human trafficking to the brothels is kind of blatant, and maybe there’s some underage or illegals (Mexicans?) being trafficked north into Idaho, up 93 and 95?

There was something about an offset Star on the back of the trailer Patrick Carnes was following. If somebody could give me the colors? Or if it was a dry trailer/reefer/ soft-side? Or a picture? I’ve been driving 30 years now. I could tell you right away what company it was. Off the top of my head, if it was an o/o it could be Star Leasing or LandStar.

There was something about an offset Star on the back of the trailer Patrick Carnes was following. If somebody could give me the colors? Or if it was a dry trailer/reefer/ soft-side? Or a picture? I’ve been driving 30 years now. I could tell you right away what company it was. Off the top of my head, if it was an o/o it could be Star Leasing or LandStar.

I can't tell if it's a dry van or reefer and didn't see anything about a star.

A caption to one photo reads...
Police are asking the public to let them know if they recognize the logo on the back of this truck on the left. There is an "NG" at the top upper left hand corner

BuLHUmR.jpg

A truck with a homemade camper shell was suspected to be involved in the Santa Rosa hitchhiker killings in California in the 1970s. Just found it interesting that there was one on the side of I-80 just recently... you never know...

Eww! Creepy!!
I have no weapons in my truck.
Maybe I should get something!
i saw the camper shell with my own 2 eyes. An older pickup. Top and bottom different colors. Big boxy homemade looking camper shell on it!

That is an owner operator, I think. They have reefers. I have seen that company.
It’s easy to get information about trucking companies online. The DOT has a website with all of the inspections and drivers’ information included. You know if they have Qualcomm or PeopleNet installed in those tractors, the court can required them to barf up what trucks were in a location at any given time. Qualcomm is accurate to within 5 feet. That company knows EXACTLY which truck that was.
Qualcomm is satellites. They run out of San Diego.
The DOT cops know this. The State Cops should know this.

Yes. Patrick Carney’s two sons were in his apartment back in Reno waiting for him to come home from a trip to OH to look at retirement homes.
Was there any insurance money they got from his ‘disappearance’?
Why was he going east from Wells and his car found on the eastbound side?
Was he trying to subtlely alert the cops that something was wrong?
Who would kill a dog? That is a terrible thing. Even people on drugs wouldn’t kill a dog. What happened that he was killed? He didn’t have an accident. His vehicle was in perfect shape and wiped of fingerprints.
The Amtrak train stops in Elko. The tracks run right along 80 for a while. Was it some ‘hobos’ alla the JFK assassination?
There are a couple of prison complexes along I-80 between the 205 and the 105 mm.
Cound it have been an ‘escapee’ or someone out on a weekend pass?

That is an owner operator, I think. They have reefers. I have seen that company.
It’s easy to get information about trucking companies online. The DOT has a website with all of the inspections and drivers’ information included. You know if they have Qualcomm or PeopleNet installed in those tractors, the court can required them to barf up what trucks were in a location at any given time. Qualcomm is accurate to within 5 feet. That company knows EXACTLY which truck that was.
Qualcomm is satellites. They run out of San Diego.
The DOT cops know this. The State Cops should know this.

Which company is it?

Thanks for bringing it up even if it is creepy. You said the truck was a gold/white combo, can you recall if it was a brown wooden homemade shell or any other description?

No. It was white, but boxy and homemade. Too big for the pickup even. Not smooth or aerodynamic like a bought one.
It was on the shoulder 1/2 mile before the 207 mm. Which is a short distance from the 205 exit. It was a 70’s older pickup. With the inset panels, angular, chrome mirrors. The kind I like. Mustard or gold in bottom or top. That icky yellow they put out to accompany the Avocado Green of that time period.
It looked like the driver was snoozing behind the wheel with a tiger striped blanket over his head. Which is what I told my company on the Quailcomm (which is what we call it!) I’m a blabber mouth.
When I came back through westbound it was gone. But there was a State Cop hanging out at Golconda Summit. And I liked that a lot.

Thank you too! I am out here all the time.
I look at drivers in their vehicles. (Sometimes it is an off duty cop in that car, so it pays to Drive Nice All The Time!)

Hi!
I wanted to say that any information you need I will give you. It WAS an 70’s pickup truck.
So, people move around. Nevada is cheap to live.
I wonder about that poor old man every time I go thru there. And his dog Lucky. And Judith, that lady who disappeared at the McDonalds at the 106 mm? And they found her car on the opposite side of I-80 at the 205 exit?
But I’m not a cop. I haven’t even read much on what to look for for police work. I just notice A LOT of weird movement on the interstate.
Listen, I have never taken a police course in my life, or been involved with drug trafficking. BUT, I could give an hour and a half speech on drug runners and the routes they take, how they behave and the vehicles and trailers/exterior containers they prefer. I watched the same pickup for a year, on the same road, with the same identical Load Of Junk he hauled, obviously a cover for drugs underneath, he just moved the junk around on top. I’m not trying to sound important, but if I can pick them out- why can’t the cops?
You know, they NEED TO put drug dogs outside at the scales.
DRUG DOGS just walking around casually at random surprise scales.
They NEED to install those X-ray panels they use in some scales near the Mexico border at random, undeclared sites.
If you could do one thing, if you are a cop or anyone who has any sway in what the police decide, there is a lot of drug running in these big trucks. A LOT of gangs (like the crips and the bloods) own trucks - they own bunches of them, get secret compartments installed and make their money running drugs. I know a little about the area in L.A where the 15 and 10 come together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back