Brides use Feeding Tubes to Lose Weight

Gozgals

Reaction score
Is it just me or is this a bizarre method to lose weight? I taught wt. loss years ago and I have never heard of this method!! I find this just horrible and not safe. I think it is extreme. I don't know, maybe it just reminds me of the Terry Schivo case and how sad that was/is..
Something is wrong with this. Of course the Dr. does not think so as he is just a cash COW.

Goz

..The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds
By YUNJI DE NIES, AMANDA KEEGAN and KEVIN DOLAK | Good Morning America – 5 hours ago
http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

Snip
Brides-to-be looking to shed that final 10, 15 or 20 pounds in order to fit into their dream wedding gown have taken a controversial approach to crash dieting that involves inserting a feeding tube into their noses for up to 10 days for a quick fix to rapid weight loss.

The K-E diet, which boasts promises of shedding 20 pounds in 10 days, is an increasingly popular alternative to ordinary calorie-counting programs. The program has dieters inserting a feeding tube into their nose that runs to the stomach. They're fed a constant slow drip of protein and fat, mixed with water, which contains zero carbohydrates and totals 800 calories a day. Body fat is burned off through a process called ketosis, which leaves muscle intact, Dr. Oliver Di Pietro of Bay Harbor Islands, Fla., said.
Snip

I'm sorry but if you feel you need to stick a feeding tube up your nose in order to lose weight, there is something really really wrong with you ! Your money would be better spent on a psychologist.... good grief

this is incredibly sad, and I can only imagine what's going on in the minds of those who do it to fit into a wedding dress for goodness sake!

MOO

mel

Is it just me or is this a bizarre method to lose weight? I taught wt. loss years ago and I have never heard of this method!! I find this just horrible and not safe. I think it is extreme. I don't know, maybe it just reminds me of the Terry Schivo case and how sad that was/is..
Something is wrong with this. Of course the Dr. does not think so as he is just a cash COW.

Goz

..The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds
By YUNJI DE NIES, AMANDA KEEGAN and KEVIN DOLAK | Good Morning America – 5 hours ago
http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

Snip
Brides-to-be looking to shed that final 10, 15 or 20 pounds in order to fit into their dream wedding gown have taken a controversial approach to crash dieting that involves inserting a feeding tube into their noses for up to 10 days for a quick fix to rapid weight loss.

The K-E diet, which boasts promises of shedding 20 pounds in 10 days, is an increasingly popular alternative to ordinary calorie-counting programs. The program has dieters inserting a feeding tube into their nose that runs to the stomach. They're fed a constant slow drip of protein and fat, mixed with water, which contains zero carbohydrates and totals 800 calories a day. Body fat is burned off through a process called ketosis, which leaves muscle intact, Dr. Oliver Di Pietro of Bay Harbor Islands, Fla., said.
Snip

This is so wrong!!

the induced ketosis is much like the atkins diet and is not good for the glomerulus in your kidneys (little filter that keeps protein inside the body vs spilling into urine)

:moo:

Soooo glad, yet again, that we skipped the wedding and all it's attendant craziness, and just went to the courthouse by ourselves! :crazy:

Ladies, some common sense is in order.

Just buy the larger size.

I spent 2 months being fed like this, first was TPN-Total Parental Nutrition then nasojejunum tube. Putting that tube in place was horrific. This was all done for medical reasons.
I cannot believe that fit healthy women do this to lose weight :thud:

Sorry, but I have to blame society/the media for a big part of this. Where are these young women getting this twisted idea from, that they need to be a size ___? Magazines? TV?

Not to say that the women themselves couldn't have some psychological issues, but let's not forget what gets shoved down our throats every day.

the induced ketosis is much like the atkins diet and is not good for the glomerulus in your kidneys (little filter that keeps protein inside the body vs spilling into urine)

:moo:

To induce ketosis is not a safe way to lose wt... very risky.

Goz

Okay...this rates right up there with sticking a tube up the other end and flushing to lose weight. Both are just soooo wrong and I would think dangerous.

As a nurse, of all the procedures I have done to someone, a nasogastric tube would be the LAST I would elect to perform on myself. Give me a catheter, an enema, all kinds of blades and needles. I could handle it. But a NG tube? NO, thanks!!!!!! Patients usually say it is the worst!

ita as a nurse t4tide! I hate dropping ng tubes as well! Every time I hit the gag reflex on a patient I start gagging myself :eek: nearly anyway!

Hmm, let's see: Eating sensibly, preferably organically; exercising, even good, hard-core workouts, cycling and/or swimming, hiking, jogging; laughing and spending time with friends while you do all this, versus a tube shoved up your nose, into your stomach, giving you a scant amount of nutrition while leaving you hungry and unsatisfied. Gee, I wonder which one produces the healthy, beautiful, blushing bride, and which one produces a stressed out, shrieking, pale, ghost of a woman . . .

Sounds similar to Atkins diet (low carb) except no tubes involved in Atkins diet.

I think these ladies are receiving a diuretic in their continuous drip because nobody loses that amount of solid substance in 10 days. I hope they can wear their dream wedding dress with a Depends diaper on while feeling dizzy, having muscle cramps, being confused, and having an irregular heartbeat.

I wonder what quick fix this service uses to hide the skin breakdown from the tape holding the NG tube and the nasal skin redness/breakdown where the NG tube rubbed for 10 days? Ew....we probably don't want to know the answer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back