Richard

Reaction score
Emanuela Orlandi, Missing Since 22 June 1983 from Rome, Italy

Emanuela Orlandi
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: June 22, 1983
Location Last Seen: Rome, Italy

Physical Description

Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: January 14, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Race: Caucasian
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5
Weight at Time of Disappearance: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Emanuela Orlandi disappeared on June 22, 1983 after 19:00 p.m. At the time of her disappearance Emanuela was 15 years old, went to a scientific high school and, in the afternoons, the Ludovico Da Victoria music school in Piazza Sant'Apollinare.

The afternoon of June 22, Emanuela arrived at her flute lesson late. Later, at 19.00 (7PM), she explained her lateness in a phone call to her sister, during which she said she had had a job offer from a representative of the Avon cosmetics company to promote the cosmetics on a fashion show. Her sister suggested that she talk it over with her parents before making any decisions. Emanuela allegedly met with the would-be representative shortly before her music lesson.

At the end of the lesson, Emanuela spoke of the matter also with her girlfriend who then left Emanuela at the bus stop, in the company of an unknown girl who has never been identified.

Someone supposedly saw her get into a large, dark-colored car. From that moment Emanuela vanished.

Her family immediately published notices in the newspapers. Anonymous callers to Italian media said they had kidnapped Emanuela and would free her if Italy released Mehmet Ali Agca, who is serving a life sentence for shooting the Pope John Paul II on May 13, 1981. No links were however established by the police.

Emanuela has never been found.

Investigating Agency(s)If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Questura di Roma, Ufficio Minori
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 39-06-46863214

E-Mail: sezioneminori@interno.it

NCMEC Case Number: ITRM00000008
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
NCMEC
Chi L'Ha Visto
doenetwork case 402dfita.html

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/402dfita.html

An investigation worthy of a Dan Brown thriller: Vatican
chiefs allow mobster's tomb to be opened in hunt for missing girl

Church chiefs have given permission for an Italian gangster's tomb to be opened in an investigation worthy of a Dan Brown thriller.

Enrico De Pedis, leader of a murderous gang known as the Banda della Magliana, was gunned down aged just 38, by members of his outfit after they fell out in 1990.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi, 15, in 1983, believe De Pedis is linked to her kidnap. The body of the Vatican employee's daughter has never been found.
---
So they expect to find Emanuela's body in Enrico's tomb?
It is not clear whether they expect to find Emanuela's remains in the tomb or documents that could shed light on her disappearance.
---

What else might be described as "odd" about this case?
Twelve years ago a skull was found in the confessional box of a Rome church and tests were carried out on it to see if it was the girl after a mystery tip off but they proved negative.
---
And how did they get around to suspecting the body itself might be buried there?
[At the same time another person involved in the case made the same claim] a mystery caller to a missing persons programme on Italian TV said the riddle of Emanuela's kidnap would be solved 'if De Pedis tomb was opened.'
---
The whole twisted, fascinating tale at Daily Mail link above; much more, including pictures.

They aren't planning on finding anything. They are announcing it now, but not planning to open it until next month. Plenty of time for someone to move anything incriminating.

Esp. if it is true that some in the Vatican upper levels know something about it. And if that is true it is likely anything there was moved before now.

Vatican mystery intensifies, bones found in grave (AP)
ROME (AP) -- Forensic police swarmed the crypt of a Roman basilica on Monday to exhume the body of a reputed mobster as part of an investigation into one of the Vatican's most enduring mysteries: the 1983 disappearance of the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee.

Medical experts took samples from the remains of Enrico De Pedis but also found boxes of old bones nearby, according to a De Pedis family lawyer, reviving speculation that Emanuela Orlandi may have been buried alongside him.
---
Lorenzo Radogna, a De Pedis family attorney, told reporters outside that investigators had found some 200 "containers" with bones near De Pedis' tomb, and that they would be tested in the coming days and weeks. Initially, the ANSA news agency reported the boxes had been discovered in the casket itself but later said they were found nearby.

Orlandi's brother, Pietro, who was at the scene, said samples from the body had been taken for further tests and the tomb re-closed. He said the corpse was in relatively good condition, but there was only one body - that of a male - inside.
---
much more at link above

A new update on this case....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/05/police-exhume-body-of-reputed-mobster-in-rome-in-29-year-old-cold-case.html

ROME -- Investigators disinterred the body of a notorious gang leader from a crypt in a Rome basilica Monday, disturbing his rest among long-dead popes, cardinals and nobles in search for clues to the disappearance of a 15-year-old girl nearly three decades ago.

Surrounded by television crews and curious onlookers, medical examiners and technicians opened the three-layered coffin of Enrico de Pedis, the leader of a ruthless organized crime gang known as the Banda della Magliana. Fingerprints taken on the scene showed that the man in the coffin was indeed De Pedis, who was gunned down in central Rome 22 years ago.

But authorities were really hunting for clues -- and perhaps even a second corpse -- to help them solve the case of Emanuela Orlandi, whose June 1983 disappearance has become one of Italy's most enduring mysteries. Her body was never found.

Italians find mystery bones in tomb linked to Vatican scandal
The Telegraph
By Nick Pisa, in Rome
14 May 2012

... Enrico De Pedis, the leader of a murderous gang known as the Banda della Magliana, was gunned down aged just 38, by members of his own crew.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi, 15, in 1983, believe De Pedis is linked to her kidnap. The body of the Vatican employee’s daughter has never been found.

Last month the diocese of Rome, on orders from the Vatican, granted investigators permission to open up the tomb in the Sant’Apollinare basilica close to Piazza Navona in the centre of Rome. Their decision was the result of an anonymous call to a missing person’s programme on Italian television which said the riddle of Orlandi’s kidnap would be solved ”if De Pedis tomb was opened”.

<modsnip>

LINK:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-bones-in-tomb-linked-to-Vatican-scandal.html

Ohhh, Fr Amorth really needs to retire and find a hobby. :eek:hoh: Too many years of exorcisms lol.

When he first came out with the Harry Potter stuff, it created a huge uproar on catholic blogs, with folks divided into two camps as to whether he was right or not. Much wailing, teeth gnashing, etc. Former admirers of his who happened to also be Harry Potter fans had no idea what to think. :crazy:

Although really, sex parties wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Holy freakin Linda Blair. That Priest Amorth looks like a demon jumped in his cassack for Lord's sake.

Is he a Jesuit?

The Church keeps tumbling down. Poor Emanuela. Beautiful, beautiful girl. I pray and chant Om for her, but then again I might get posessed.

The two fractions my mom always says we can't get out of" The Church and the Mafia.

How about the guy hanging under the bridge known as "God's banker"? WTH? I bet they're Jesuits. I scared of Jesuits.

Holy freakin Linda Blair. That Priest Amorth looks like a demon jumped in his cassack for Lord's sake.

Is he a Jesuit?.
Lolol. The man is bovvered by certain things!

Lolol. The man is bovvered by certain things!

Who is looking after the Corgi's? Face bovvered?

This stuff is fascinating to me. I get the Mafia and the secret sex parties and the Church thing, but there's an International Association Of Exorcists?

Better yet you can join the American one if anyone fancies chasing down demons. It lists the courses and mentions amongst other things Santeria, Wicca, and Tourette Syndrome. Who knew? Months I didn't sleep after that Exorcist movie. I was way too old to be sleeping on the floor of my parents and brothers rooms.

In the words of my dear dad "She's afraid of some actress spitting soup, but she hangs around with girls who hitchhike and talks to strange boys". True dat, daddy.

In case anyone wants to join at link and sorry for the off topic. I couldn't help myself. I ain't saying what that Church Lady used to say on SNL.

http://aaeok.tripod.com/

Is he a Jesuit?

The Church keeps tumbling down. Poor Emanuela. Beautiful, beautiful girl. I pray and chant Om for her, but then again I might get posessed.

The two fractions my mom always says we can't get out of" The Church and the Mafia.

How about the guy hanging under the bridge known as "God's banker"? WTH? I bet they're Jesuits. I scared of Jesuits.

:floorlaugh:

You're killing me. You aren't kidding, cant get out of the church. I've been trying to run screaming from her for YEARS, but there is something always keeping me here, however tenuously. I'm very nearly an ATHEIST, but I still can't go completely.

What wit was it that said the church might be a *advertiser censored*, but she's my mother, and I love her? Yeahhh, it's sort of like that.

I have to disagree though, I do love me some Jesuits. Very progressive, laid back for the most part, and big on education. Opus Dei? Now they scare me. I really don't think they have sinister albino monks, but still scary.

Love the pic of Mother Angelica lol!

I enjoyed the article's mention of Pius's attempt at a long distance exorcism of Hitler... :eek:hoh:

I enjoyed the article's mention of Pius's attempt at a long distance exorcism of Hitler... :eek:hoh:
And you once referred to Daily Mail as "a rag"! (It is of course, lolol.) It serves its purposes (i.e., a certain sugar-rush-like effect in the mornings.)

No no no, it's the Daily Wail! It IS a rag... But I love it. Much like the church? Shouldn't, but I do! :innocent:

Ohhh, Fr Amorth really needs to retire and find a hobby. :eek:hoh: Too many years of exorcisms lol.

When he first came out with the Harry Potter stuff, it created a huge uproar on catholic blogs, with folks divided into two camps as to whether he was right or not. Much wailing, teeth gnashing, etc. Former admirers of his who happened to also be Harry Potter fans had no idea what to think. :crazy:

Although really, sex parties wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Think of it as the Italian version of Bohemian Grove. :D

I'm kind of horrified, imaging some of the priests I've known being involved in sex parties! Then again, when I was a teen, there was Father-what-a-Waste, a young, black haired Irish priest assigned to our parish. He managed to make a cassock sexy. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back