New homeowners threatened with guns and arrested

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/new-homeowners-met-gun-wielding-neighbors/nMd7C/

Posted: 8:04 p.m. Friday, April 20, 2012

New homeowners met with gun-wielding neighbors
NEWTON COUNTY, Ga. —

A Newton County family says what should have been one of their happiest nights turned into a nightmare.

They said neighbors threatened them with guns and called the sheriff's office as they changed the locks on their new home

They were arrested for loitering and prowling in their own house.

Jean Kalonji said her grew up in the Congo and said this experience brought back painful memories.

"There they put me down with the gun to my head and come here, the same," Jean Kalonji said.

How terrible! They are so lucky the neighbor wasn't crazier and decided to shoot. And then for the deputies to arrest them? Absolutely ridiculous.

Wow...this poor family should sue the county...hope they get a darn good attorney.

The gun-toting neighbors need to be charged with something, and they owe the family a huge apology. Whatever happened to calling 911, observing for license plate number and descriptions of the car and people, and staying home?

What a way to start out in your new home (and country)...I feel badly for them.

What on earth?! Is this the new Welcome Wagon? A product of home foreclosures and too many homes standing empty attracting squatters? No matter what, there ought to be some ramifications for those gun toters-- you can't just go around threatening people at gun point!! It wasn't even their property... :banghead:

I'm sure a lovely neighborly relationship will ensue.

Actually, it might help (a lot) if the gun people are personally contrite and offer their neighborly assistance at every turn. Sorry 'bout that, but we've been chasing thieves out of there for months! Need to borrow the mower? The weed whacker? An extension cord? Hope you like Apple Pie! I'm sure the kids will enjoy these cookies I made... and so on. :greetings::wagon:

I wonder if the neighbors were part of the Neighborhood Watch :wink:

Wouldn't the neighbors have known that the home was for sale? When one goes vacant in my area, I watch for people to show up just because I wonder what the new neighbors are like. LOL doesn't make for good neighbors to greet them with a gun.

I guess it would have scared me though if new neighbors showed up for the first time after dark.

From the link:
"Somebody come over with the light and the gun," Jean Kalonji said.

This is getting a little too ridiculous! Thank God these "neighbors" didn't shoot them! Poor people couldn't even enjoy The American Dream without having guns pointed at them and arrested!

I'm all for people's rights to own guns, but things are starting to go way too far!! Wayyyy too far! Just because you have the right to own a gun, does not mean you have a right to take the law into your own hands! These neighbors trespassed on their property and held them at gunpoint. That's kidnapping! Here in Florida, that's 10 years! Lock them up!!

MOO

This sort of suspicion isn't new...although perhaps worse these days, with the proliferation of folks owning guns. Family story: when my parents bought their first house (before I was born, so almost 40 years ago?), there had been a string of burglaries in the neighborhood. Their first night in the house...someone called in a potential break-in, and my poor dad woke up to a sheriff's deputy pointing a gun in his face, asking my mom if she was OK!

At least none of the neighbors directly threatened them, and no one got arrested that night. It was sorted out quickly, but still a scary night.

Another pair of "Neighborhood Watchmen" with loaded guns? :banghead: I'm glad they have been arrested and the charges are very appropriate! Hopefully they lose their rights to carry a firearm because they obviously are not responsible gun owners and this could have ended very badly! Very, very badly!

I couldn't imagine having to live with them in my neighborhood after they did that to me?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back