1st grader brings grenade to show and tell

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Parsippany school ordered evacuated
PARSIPPANY -- A first-grader who wanted to share his family vacation souvenir with classmates brought a hand grenade for show-and-tell at the Eastlake School on Thursday, prompting a 30-minute evacuation, authorities said. During snack time, the pupil asked his classroom teacher if he could make a show-and-tell presentation with something he brought from home. When asked what he had to show, the boy told his teacher he had a grenade.

The teacher took the grenade from the first-grader and brought it to the main office, notifying Principal Tena Wright, who ordered an evacuation shortly before 10:30 a.m.

Local police, the Morris County Sheriff's bomb squad, a fire truck and an ambulance all arrived at the school in response. The bomb squad determined that the grenade was inert and seized it for disposal.

"Since the building administrators are not munitions experts, it had to be verified that it was not harmful," Parsippany School District Superintendent Eugene Vasile said.

"We have to put this in context. This was a first-grader -- they're still babies."

Vasile said the district's emergency procedures were followed and the incident was being treated as a learning experience.

"It's unfortunate, but in this day and age we have to take everything seriously," Vasile said. "Years ago, you never would have imagined something like this."

Wright said the student did not understand that it was inappropriate to bring such an item to school, even though his parents had previously forbid him to take it to school.

"He's in the first grade -- it was a cool thing to him," Wright said.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/articles/news4-Grenade.htm

I'm glad to hear that they didnt' expel the kid from school. It wouldn't have surprised me after hearing what some schools do.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm glad to hear that they didnt' expel the kid from school. It wouldn't have surprised me after hearing what some schools do.

A couple of years ago, a school down around New Orleans expelled a 6 or 7 year old girl for having a fingernail clipper with her. The file part is a "weapon" apparently. A child in Laf. Parish was threatened with expulsion around the same time for having medicated chapstick---it breaks the "no meds. on campus" rule. Some times it does seem as though they've thrown common sense out, doesn't it?

LOL....this reminds me of when my youngest son was in kindergarten and I received a call from the principal asking that I not allow him to bring firecrackers to school anymore....duh. I have no idea where he got them.

Then there was the time he took a piece of wire for show and tell, explaining how it could be used to strangle someone.

And then there was the time he spray painted his friend blue.

And then there was the time he fed 12 Gainesburgers to our goldfish....

And the time he fed our whole Thanksgiving turkey to the dog.....

and the 10 pounds of rice spilled on the shag carpet....talk about a racket vacuuming it up....

didn't matter though because I had to replace the carpet a week later when he spilled an economy size bottle of shamppo all over it. The more I rubbed, the more it lathered.

and then there was the time...........

oh, nevermind. I'm so glad he made it to adulthood with most of his body parts intact.

Mabel said:
LOL....this reminds me of when my youngest son was in kindergarten and I received a call from the principal asking that I not allow him to bring firecrackers to school anymore....duh. I have no idea where he got them.

Then there was the time he took a piece of wire for show and tell, explaining how it could be used to strangle someone.

And then there was the time he spray painted his friend blue.

And then there was the time he fed 12 Gainesburgers to our goldfish....

And the time he fed our whole Thanksgiving turkey to the dog.....

and the 10 pounds of rice spilled on the shag carpet....talk about a racket vacuuming it up....

didn't matter though because I had to replace the carpet a week later when he spilled an economy size bottle of shamppo all over it. The more I rubbed, the more it lathered.

and then there was the time...........

oh, nevermind. I'm so glad he made it to adulthood with most of his body parts intact.

That is too funny! I'm sure they weren't funny at the time, but at least you have some great memories or bringing up baby!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back