GA - Man Swats Boy For Grabbing His Kitty

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Russell Baughcum's cat had just had surgery and he waited with his pet in a carrier in a Vet Clinic. A 4 year old boy who could not be controlled per his mom's words grabbed for the cat several times. Naturally the man told the kid to stop. He didn't. Sooooooooo Baughcum swatted the child on the backside.

Mom of child insisted on pressing charges. Baughcum got locked up. No word on how the poor cat is doing.

http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton/man-charged-with-battery-1429600.html

Interesting. But I'll bet if the cat had bitten the child the mom would have been filing a lawsuit.

Too bad the vet employees didn't try to help either of these customers. I don't want a stranger touching my kid, but I also would have been very afraid that the cat would have attacked this child.

Interesting that the vet employees have kind of a different take on what happened - the boy was trying to "play" with the cat, but to hear the man tell it he was trying to grab at it or open the carrier.

Strangers who spank other people's children are just weird. No one would have blamed him if he had taken the child - by the shoulders - back to the mom in a huffy way.

In my childhood, it was fairly typical that grumpy old weird men would spank other people's children in public - I don't know why we tolerated that. Weird.

Um....he could have picked up the carrier and walked to the other side of the clinic...told the mom directly to tell him to stop (may not have worked)...placed the carrier on the reception desk if it was high up, asked the employees to keep the carrier behind the desk until he was finished up or the mom and child left. He more than likely had other options on how to handle his end of this situation. This article conveniently does not say if the child has some sort of known behavior disorder or is on on the autism spectrum so I am not going to assume the child was an undisciplined terror. Mom of course needed to intervene and do somethng regardless.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I work in a retail store that specializes in children's shoes. I can't even begin to tell you how many parents I see that do not "parent" their children. They just completely ignore whatever their child does. I understand the mans frustration, but I would have just gone over to the mom and told her to get control of her kid.

Swat = HIT. This man had NO right to lay a hand on this child - no matter what! MO~

Swat = HIT. This man had NO right to lay a hand on this child - no matter what! MO~
And why does anyone has a right to grab somebody's pet?
Parents should control their children.

And why does anyone has a right to grab somebody's pet?
Parents should control their children.

Then he should have swatted the mother. No wrongdoing on the part of the child gives him a right to touch someone else's child in an aggressive manner. Period. I'd be in jail, because if a stranger ever swats my kid, I'm swatting them back.

Then he should have swatted the mother. No wrongdoing on the part of the child gives him a right to touch someone else's child in an aggressive manner. Period. I'd be in jail, because if a stranger ever swats my kid, I'm swatting them back.

Since the cat just had surgery the man wouldn't want the child to grab the cat.
Going over the mother and swatting her would end him up in jail anyway, so I have no clue how that is a better solution.

Interesting that the vet employees have kind of a different take on what happened - the boy was trying to "play" with the cat, but to hear the man tell it he was trying to grab at it or open the carrier.

Strangers who spank other people's children are just weird. No one would have blamed him if he had taken the child - by the shoulders - back to the mom in a huffy way.

In my childhood, it was fairly typical that grumpy old weird men would spank other people's children in public - I don't know why we tolerated that. Weird.

How do you play with a cat that just had surgery? They are groggy after anesthesia and in no mood to play at all.

I work in a retail store that specializes in children's shoes. I can't even begin to tell you how many parents I see that do not "parent" their children. They just completely ignore whatever their child does.

Bless your soul. I can just imagine what goes on.

O/T, but not my fave is when kids climb up on that moving belt in the supermarket and parents either ignore it or think it's cute. Better yet people putting their kids on it. I don't want no kids *advertiser censored** where my food is going.

Hey, we all love our pets and we all love our kids. No doubt this man was frustrated and probably at some point maybe raised up his own kids. However, the mom couldn't control her kid? How come you can't control your adult self and not go around putting your hands on people's children?

This could have been easily settled by the man stepping on the kids toes or entire foot need be. Nobody wants their foot stepped on and the cat would be saved.

O/T, but not my fave is when kids climb up on that moving belt in the supermarket and parents either ignore it or think it's cute. Better yet people putting their kids on it. I don't want no kids *advertiser censored** where my food is going.

Hey, we all love our pets and we all love our kids. No doubt this man was frustrated and probably at some point maybe raised up his own kids. However, the mom couldn't control her kid? How come you can't control your adult self and not go around putting your hands on people's children?

This could have been easily settled by the man stepping on the kids toes or entire foot need be. Nobody wants their foot stepped on and the cat would be saved.

I don't understand how the man stepping on child's foot (where the child could actually be injured) would be any better than lightly swatting the child? It's not like this man caused the child any physical damage by swatting him.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I feel any child who doesn't understand the words "no" and "stop" by the age of four deserves a swat on the fanny, and I don't care who administers it, especially when the mother is right there apparently doing nothing to get her child under control.

I have raised four children. There are times my kids misbehaved, and I took responsibility for it, because that was my job. It is not the general public's responsibility to put up with other people's children's bratty behavior.

Four year old child vs. four year old child's mother. How is the winner a four year old child, and how are people okay with that?

Even if you feel a four year old does deserve a swat for not obeying (I don't) - it's certainly not a stranger's place to do be doing so. AT ALL.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I feel any child who doesn't understand the words "no" and "stop" by the age of four deserves a swat on the fanny, and I don't care who administers it, especially when the mother is right there apparently doing nothing to get her child under control.

I have raised four children. There are times my kids misbehaved, and I took responsibility for it, because that was my job. It is not the general public's responsibility to put up with other people's children's bratty behavior.

Four year old child vs. four year old child's mother. How is the winner a four year old child, and how are people okay with that?

Amen to that! I made sure my son learned manners, respect, and to have consideration for others! I don't see that being taught to many children nowadays.

Seriously, I think some parents take their brains out to play with!

I would have simply put my hand in front of the carrier so the child could not get at the cat. I'd never spank someone elses child. If blocking the carrier didn't work I would have moved, complained etc.

Even if you feel a four year old does deserve a swat for not obeying (I don't) - it's certainly not a stranger's place to do be doing so. AT ALL.

I feel this stranger would never had been put in the position of giving the child a swat had the parent of this child actually practiced parenting.

I would have simply put my hand in front of the carrier so the child could not get at the cat. I'd never spank someone elses child. If blocking the carrier didn't work I would have moved, complained etc.

I wonder what mom was doing (or not doing) while all of this was going on?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back