Wife saw army medic husband die in Afghanistan while chatting on SKYPE

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
I have no words....I just can't fathom the horror for this family.

The family of a Texas-based Army medic serving in Afghanistan says his wife witnessed the officer's death, which happened as the two were video chatting via Skype.

The circumstances of Capt. Bruce Kevin Clark's death on Monday have not been made available.

Clark's family in upstate New York released a statement saying Clark was having a regular Skype chat with his wife in El Paso when she witnessed her husband's death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Afghanistan-chatting-SKYPE.html#ixzz1tumrJIVR

There are no words. My heart breaks for them all... but especially the wife. She wasn't even in a war zone and will possibly end up with PTSD. Gosh, what is happening in our world?

i have no words either, this poor family especially the wife to have seen it and know she couldn't do anything.

:(

How horrible.

God bless our troops and their loved ones.

Poor lady...to be so far away, and not able to help.
Prayers for her and their sweet girls. :(

I don't get how he died. Did I miss it somewhere in the article?

Either way, how incredibly sad. :(

I don't get how he died. Did I miss it somewhere in the article?

Either way, how incredibly sad. :(

BBM. Curious isn't it? Evidently the Pentagon is investigating the incident. The family seems to be confused about what happened as well.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/news/fort-bliss-soldiers-wife-watches-him-die-through-s/nNWc2/

(snip)
Army Capt. Bruce Clark died in Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan Monday. His wife, Susan Clark, was on Skype with him when it happened.

Fort Bliss officials said even though the death was broadcast they still don't know how it happened.

"Mrs. Clark was Skyping from the family home here in El Paso with her husband when he all of a sudden fell away from the computer keyboard and fell out of sight," Col. John Modell said.

More at link

When my Son was stationed in Iraq last year we would skype with him and this was my greatest fear. Once when we were talking the computer froze and I thought we just had a bad connection. Turns out they had been hit with a mortar bomb. Thank God no one was hurt. Everytime after that I was so afraid I would witness someones worst nightmare. I pray for this family who actually did.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/news/fort-bliss-soldiers-wife-watches-him-die-through-s/nNWc2/

(snip)
Army Capt. Bruce Clark died in Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan Monday. His wife, Susan Clark, was on Skype with him when it happened.

Fort Bliss officials said even though the death was broadcast they still don't know how it happened.

"Mrs. Clark was Skyping from the family home here in El Paso with her husband when he all of a sudden fell away from the computer keyboard and fell out of sight," Col. John Modell said.

More at link

[bbm]

so she may not have actually seen what happened to him ... but knew something was horribly wrong

how terribly traumatic

My God the Skype stayed open and visible for 2 hours while the family was desperately attempting to get attentionto herhusband who had fallen out of camera view. .she could see the bullet hole in the closet in front of the screen but it took two hours before military personnel came into the room where the wife could still see full view of and they checked his pulse.. they still do do not tell the wife what was going on.. how horrible that it took two hours for them to get word for someone to check on him and he was ddead by then...

It will be interesting to find out what his body showed. Military says he died of natural causes!

Various media started reporting last night that the Army announced that the COD was natural causes. Does not sound like it to me!

The wife of a US Army captain who died while he was on Skype with her says she saw a bullet hole in the closet behind him after he collapsed.

An Army spokesman says medic Bruce Kevin Clark died of natural causes while he was serving in Afghanistan.

His wife, Susan Orellana-Clark, made a statement on Sunday saying she doubts that assessment.

'(Capt) Clark was suddenly knocked forward,' Mrs Clark said in remarks released by her brother.

'The closet behind him had a bullet hole in it. The other individuals, including a member of the military, who rushed to the home of Capt Clark's wife also saw the hole and agreed it was a bullet hole.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-husband-died-Skype-chat.html#ixzz1u9ScaI9d

This story is very strange.
If the bullet came from inside a closet and he slumped forward, how did no one hear the shot and come running?
How would a person in a closet be able to see what he was aiming at?
How did the wife not hear the shot while talking to her husband?

Why did the other officer spokesman Murel or whatever, say he looked suprised and slumped backward out of sight.

Why was a group of Catholic parishoners there while she was skyping.
There is a huge time differential, what time was Clark calling his wife in Texas?
Why were these people just hanging out, why didn't they leave politely.

Why did no one investigate gunfire or the whereabouts of Clark?
Why was no one else waiting to use Skype to call and it just stood empty for all that time?

I doubt we hear a whole lot more about this story now that it's been referred to the Pentagon instead of A local Army hospital, as if they would have any info. Egad.

When I read a media account of anything, and the there are two parties involved.
It usually comes down to who's version of the story seems most credible.

In this instance, in my opinion, neither the wife's version or the Army's version of events rings true.

Both seem to have factors outside the norm that make each seem to be unreliable information.

My nephew was in Iraq a couple of years ago and several times while skyping with him, he would yell "incoming" and would just be gone for long periods of time. Although he was patrolling in the "green zone" the mess tents were just canvas. One time in particular I was skyping with him and he yelled "incoming" and the next time I talked to him, he told me 2 of his men were hit by shrapnel while eating, sitting right beside him. :( I wonder if her husband was the only one injured or killed?

I can't find an official statement from the DOD about CPT Clark's death.

Clarence Davis, a spokesman for the William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso, Texas, where Clark was based, said that it has not been determined how Clark died and that the case is under investigation.

He added that he "misspoke" when he said earlier Friday that "we believe his death was from natural causes."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/wgntv-solider-dies-during-skype-chat-with-wife-may6,0,7809564.story

I'm sure Mr. Davis has been reprimanded ( and then some) for taking it upon himself to speak about the situation and ultimately "mispoke". It happens, but I'm willing to bet Mr. Davis doesn't do that again.

If I see the official DOD statement I'll bring it. For now all I can see is that they are investigating and the DOD won't make a statement until that investigation is finished. The wife if I'm understanding correctly came out and spoke to the media because of Mr. Davis misspeaking.

I don't think I'd even want to be a fly on the wall when someone had a chat with Mr. Davis.

Oy vey.

It would be interesting to know if that "bullet hole" had really been there all along, and really wasn't a "fresh" bullet hole, or a bullet hole, at all.

If he was shot, I suppose it could have been from a longer range, and just an unfortunate accident. Last year, we had a case of an Amish girl who was riding home from a holiday work party (in her buggy), and when she didn't arrive home as expected, her brother went out looking for her, found her buggy en route to home. She was inside the buggy, and either close to death, or had already died (can't remember, sorry). There was blood everywhere. Turns out she had been accidentally shot by someone cleaning a gun a mile away. Just a freak accident -- she was in the right place at the right time, as the saying goes.

I can't find an official statement from the DOD about CPT Clark's death.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/wgntv-solider-dies-during-skype-chat-with-wife-may6,0,7809564.story

I'm sure Mr. Davis has been reprimanded ( and then some) for taking it upon himself to speak about the situation and ultimately "mispoke". It happens, but I'm willing to bet Mr. Davis doesn't do that again.

If I see the official DOD statement I'll bring it. For now all I can see is that they are investigating and the DOD won't make a statement until that investigation is finished. The wife if I'm understanding correctly came out and spoke to the media because of Mr. Davis misspeaking.

I don't think I'd even want to be a fly on the wall when someone had a chat with Mr. Davis.

Oy vey.

Bruce? Some knew him as Kevin, though? It doesn't say why he was in Afghanistan without the rest of his unit. A Company Troop command in Beaumont.
It says he was based at a Texas medical facility, Beaumont Army Medical Center where he was assigned!

This I recall was where inquiries were routed to. Why would that be if he was supposedly in Afghanistan?

I strongly suspect this is a propaganda story. Flags at half staff all over the state of New York? They do this every time a soldier from New York dies in suspicious circumstances?

Half the people who knew him supposedly call him Bruce and the others call him Kevin?
A funeral in Spencerport and the memorial in Addison, Michigan, but nothing down in Texas. Sounds to me like this story will fade away having served it's purpose of igniting anger and invoking the town of Tarin Kowt, one of the most remote locations for a base he was supposedly assigned to that has not been mentioned at all.

They are running out of reasons to still be in Afghanistan, apparently.
News back home of billions of dollars of iridium and other precious metals that need to be extracted by private industry there as well as the need for the poppy fields to be protected for the voracious appetite of the Pharmaceutical industry who's array of morphine, and oxycontin, and it's derivitive products come almost exclusively from Afghanistan, probably doesn't play well in Peoria.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back