Resolved MI - Oscoda Township, Decades-old bones on const. site, May'12 - *RELIC*

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Human Remains found at Oscoda Township Construction site:

Oscoda Township, MI (WJRT/CNN) - A construction site in northeast Michigan turned into a crime scene after workers unearthed human remains.

Police say a partial skull and several bones were found.

Investigators believe the remains may be several decades old.

"We do have several missing person complaints that are still open from the 60s and 70s in this area. On the outward phase it doesn't appear that this matches any of them, but that's why we are going to let the experts make that determination for certain," said Sgt. Erik McNichol with the Oscoda Township Police Department.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/318704/28/Human-remains-found-at-Michigan-construction-site

Oscoda Township is where Pamela Sue Hobley and Patricia Spencer went missing. I suppose that this is who Sgt. McNichol was referring to.

2368700600045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
2729517770045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/spencer_patricia.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hobley_pamela.html

CarlK,

Good possible link to Pamela Sue Hobley and Patricia Spencer. They went missing together from Oscoda, Michigan on 31 October 1969, a Friday.

Oscoda is above the thumb area of Michigan and on the shore of Lake Huron.

1969 had been a very bad year in Michigan regarding the disappearance and murders of young girls and women. A special task force concentrated efforts in the Ann Arbor and Ypsylanti area trying to link seven specific "Coed Murders" (1967-1969) as the work of a serial killer (although I don't think they used that term at the time). At one point during the investigation, some investigators believed that there could be more than one killer working together or separately.

In the end of July 1969, John Norman Collins was arrested and charged with the 23 July 1969 murder of 18 year old Karen Sue Beineman. At that point, they felt that they had their serial killer, but Collins was only charged with the one murder, was convicted and resides today in Marquette Prison, Michigan. His partner in other criminal escapades, Andrew Julian Manuel, Jr. was given a free pass as a possible murder suspect and only charged with theft of a camping trailer.

The two had traveled all the way to California and back to Michigan together, and Manuel fled when Collins was arrested. He first traveled back to California and then to Phoenix, AZ where he was captured in early August 1969.

Collins was charged in California with the murder of Roxie Ann Phillips and Governor Ronald Reagan requested extradition of Collins from Michigan to California to stand trial. Because of pending appeals in Michigan, extradition was delayed until 1971. Then, for money reasons, California decided not to extradite and try Collins for the murder of Roxie.

In 2005, a different Michigan man, Gary Leiterman, was charged with and convicted of the murder of Jane Mixer, one of the seven "Co-ed" cases based on DNA.

Just this past October 2011, a 75 year-old man named Robert Bowman was charged with the abduction, rape, torture, and murder of Eileen Marie Adams, of Toledo, Ohio. Marie's body had been dumped in Monroe County, Michigan and some investigators in 1969 had felt that her murder was connected to some of the "Co-ed" cases.

So there were several killers operating in and around Michigan in 1969.

In January 1970, another girl, Cynthia Coon, 13, of Ann Arbor disappeared and was believed to have been abducted. She is still missing.

http://www.michigan.gov/minewswire/0,4629,7-136-3452-290896--,00.html

feltb@michigan.gov
989-619-7963
Agency: Transportation

December 4, 2012 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) today announced that the human remains, as well as the associated artifacts, discovered during the reconstruction of US-23 in Oscoda earlier this year have been identified as being those of American Indians. This information was confirmed by the Michigan State University Forensic Anthropology Laboratory.

Following the provisions of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), MDOT has actively been consulting with the American Indian tribes that have an interest in the disposition of the remains and will continue to do so until the repatriation process is completed.

I am very interested in the missing Oscoda girls. I just bought a place up near this area.
I understand that it was homecoming and they were walking home, they were planning on attending homecoming that night. They must have been picked up by someone in a car or truck. Someone had to see something. Where can I get all the files on this, interviews etc. Also was the FBI called in??

I am very interested in the missing Oscoda girls. I just bought a place up near this area.
I understand that it was homecoming and they were walking home, they were planning on attending homecoming that night. They must have been picked up by someone in a car or truck. Someone had to see something. Where can I get all the files on this, interviews etc. Also was the FBI called in??

Welcome, Archimedes!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back