Evidence - When will it be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixfla

Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for any information as to when documents may start to become available. Latest I heard, names had to be redacted, but since the evidence is about 3 boxes (from what I heard), that should not take too long.

What is the latest?

Last I heard both sides had agreed to delay discovery. The reason given was so witnesses would not be subjected to the onslaught of media.

In that other famous Florida case the way it used to work was discovery would be turned over to the defense, then within 36-48 hours the media had access.

There may very well have been an update since then and I missed it though.

From article dated may 8th
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/judge-orders-some-states-evidence-be-made-public-g/nNNhD/

Judge Kenneth Lester ordered the court file unsealed and that order was made public on Monday.

WFTV's legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the file could include information like the probable cause affidavit and investigative reports.

However, the names and addresses of all of the state's witnesses won’t be released because Lester has ordered that to be taken out.

From article dated may 8th
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/judge-orders-some-states-evidence-be-made-public-g/nNNhD/

Judge Kenneth Lester ordered the court file unsealed and that order was made public on Monday.

WFTV's legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the file could include information like the probable cause affidavit and investigative reports.

However, the names and addresses of all of the state's witnesses won’t be released because Lester has ordered that to be taken out.

Did you mean May 1st?

I hope there is evidence released soon, but I fear that they are in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation with this case. This is such a hotly debated case, with both sides having very strong feelings, that no matter what the outcome, there will be outrage. I can see where they will try to keep the evidence unknown as long as they legally can, I'm just not sure if that is good or bad. IMO, no matter what the evidence shows, there will be a backlash from the public. IF the evidence shows that GZ lied to LE about how things went down, or if the autopsy report shows something unexpected, or anything that show GZ's guilt, his supporters will say this is all a show for the public, trying to keep the peace. IF the evidence shows that GZ was indeed assaulted and had bad injuries, or if it is proven he had a broken nose, or anything that allows him to use SYG as a defense, then the rest of the public will say that the "good-ole-boy" network did it again and let one of their own walk free. IMO, there will be no winners in this case. Sad, sad, sad!

Last I heard both sides had agreed to delay discovery. The reason given was so witnesses would not be subjected to the onslaught of media.

In that other famous Florida case the way it used to work was discovery would be turned over to the defense, then within 36-48 hours the media had access.

There may very well have been an update since then and I missed it though.

I think that's a first for me. I can't remember ever hearing of a defense attorney wanting to delay discovery. :waitasec:

I think that's a first for me. I can't remember ever hearing of a defense attorney wanting to delay discovery. :waitasec:

Me too, Papa. Then again, it's a first to be collecting money for a defense fund via social media too. I think the two go hand in hand.

:moo:

Didn't you promise a document dump today? Geez..and I trusted your experience. :floorlaugh:

ETA: To stay on the topic of when the evidence be released? Not soon enough!

BBM.

You took the words right outta my mouth!

I hear ya.

<snipped from the WFTV link above>

But Zimmerman&#8217;s attorney, Mark O'Mara, said he doesn't want to accept that discovery until the judge promises to also protect the identity of witnesses when it's released.

This works for the benefit of everyone. It is a way to try to protect ALL witnesses and the integrity of whatever testimony they have to give. Redacting the names and identifying info is a good thing. I hope it works and has the intended effect. Doesn't matter if it is a pro-prosecution OR pro-defense witness, maybe the tabloids will have a bit harder time identifying them and offering them lots of $$$$ to sell their story. Not to mention, in that other high profile FL case, I remember feeling so bad for most of those witnesses. I'll never forget watching reporters stalk the boyfriend - going so far as chasing him into a Chili's restaurant. He looked like a trapped animal on that video. I felt terrible for him as he had done everything in his power to avoid them.

From a selfish standpoint, nobody loves the Sunshine Laws more than me! Sleuthing docs is my favorite thing ever. However, no witness should have to endure what they do in high profile cases simply because they have witnessed something. I hope Florida considers some amendments considering their experiences with this case and the Anthony case. I don't know how they would do it but when cases get the amount of national attention like these, they need to come up with something to protect the witnesses. At least the redactions are a start. I hope that helps some. I have my doubts, but for all the witnesses sakes, I hope it works.

Me too, Papa. Then again, it's a first to be collecting money for a defense fund via social media too. I think the two go hand in hand.

:moo:

I totally agree (well, except for the "hand in hand" part. ;)). This is very unique. At first glance, it made me cringe. On second thought, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it and this is why - I would rather the defense raise their own darn funds than the alternative - having the Florida taxpayers foot the bill. AGAIN.

Times are achanging. It makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I'm hanging on the fence about it. I'm waiting to see how it all plays out, I guess.

I hear ya.

<snipped from the WFTV link above>

This works for the benefit of everyone. It is a way to try to protect ALL witnesses and the integrity of whatever testimony they have to give. Redacting the names and identifying info is a good thing. I hope it works and has the intended effect. Doesn't matter if it is a pro-prosecution OR pro-defense witness, maybe the tabloids will have a bit harder time identifying them and offering them lots of $$$$ to sell their story. Not to mention, in that other high profile FL case, I remember feeling so bad for most of those witnesses. I'll never forget watching reporters stalk the boyfriend - going so far as chasing him into a Chili's restaurant. He looked like a trapped animal on that video. I felt terrible for him as he had done everything in his power to avoid them.

From a selfish standpoint, nobody loves the Sunshine Laws more than me! Sleuthing docs is my favorite thing ever. However, no witness should have to endure what they do in high profile cases simply because they have witnessed something. I hope Florida considers some amendments considering their experiences with this case and the Anthony case. I don't know how they would do it but when cases get the amount of national attention like these, they need to come up with something to protect the witnesses. At least the redactions are a start. I hope that helps some. I have my doubts, but for all the witnesses sakes, I hope it works.

ITA. It works in the defense's favor to keep the witnesses from being harassed and, possibly, threatened. This is a very emotional case and there have already been several reports about hate crimes committed in reaction to this case. Many of the initial witness statements support GZ's story. IMO, the defense will want to keep these folks out of harm's way.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

ITA. It works in the defense's favor to keep the witnesses from being harassed and, possibly, threatened. This is a very emotional case and there have already been several reports about hate crimes committed in reaction to this case. Many of the initial witness statements support GZ's story. IMO, the defense will want to keep these folks out of harm's way.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

Y'all have been able to keep up better than me, I am sure. Just moderating in here has kept me busy full time. LOL

That said, I think it is good for ALL witnesses, no matter which side plans on using their testimony to support their case.

Y'all have been able to keep up better than me, I am sure. Just moderating in here has kept me busy full time. LOL

That said, I think it is good for ALL witnesses, no matter which side plans on using their testimony to support their case.

And I think there are so many children involved in this case both sides may be concerned. It's a heavy load for a child. jmo

Well I thought we may see something today indicating when we might expect documents. I guess nothing. I still dont know if documents have been provided to the defense to review for information they want to redact, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10