Trial Thread 10 May 2012 - Judge's Instructions and maybe deliberations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoSueMe

Former Member
Reaction score
Trial Discussion Thread:

reposting a few of the warnings:

Okay everybody - LISTEN UP! We are not bashing, accusing or blaming Tori's family here. It won't be allowed.

Children walk home from school every day without incident. Parents are not perfect, it's just not possible. Tori's parents DID NOT do this to her. TLM and an accomplice DID. That is where the blame goes.

We had a lot of family bashing in the early parts of this investigation after Tori went missing and a lot of baseless accusations - NONE OF WHICH PROVED TO BE TRUE. Victim and family bashing will not be allowed during this trial.

Thank you,
Salem

---------------------------------

As some of you may have noticed, the members following this case are dropping in numbers. It's disheartening to us because we need and welcome discussion of both sides of every issue on Websleuths.

Zero tolerance means ZERO tolerance. Please discuss this case with respect to your fellow members. Subtle and veiled harassment and/or talking in code about other members will not be tolerated.

A word of caution on the Alerts in this forum. If you alert a post, make sure it is a clear violation of our Terms of Service. A difference of opinion is not a violation of TOS.

Please note that everything discussed in court and printed/tweeted is now within the realm of discussion. WS has never and does not now have a policy of "innocent until proven guilty." That is for the court room. Here, we discuss, speculate, theorize and judge according to the opinions we develop from following the case.

Keeping that in mind, abuse of our alert system is a good way to find yourself in timeout or worse. Abuse of the alert systems includes, but is not limited to:

Alerting repeatedly on the same poster;
Demanding a specific outcome;
Alerting on the same post more than once.

Once you have alerted a post, move on and don't question the decisions of our Administrators, Moderators or Owners.

Following this trial is very important to our members and we're going to see that they have their day in court. The "zero tolerance" policy in this forum will continue and it will be enforced.

Thank you and please carry on.
Sue aka SoSueMe
Websleuths Co-Owner

------

Please keep discussion focused on what has been presented in testimony and remember to link up as the partial publication ban is still in place

Please continue here. Hoping the Judge doesn't take any longer than necessary. I want him to get everything out and NOT cut any corners, just hoping that it goes quickly.

Salem

Good Morning!

402548_10151311358025384_568640383_23116063_1852843180_n.jpg

oie_animated_candle.gif

The judge will give his final instructions to a London, Ont., jury today before they begin their deliberations in the trial of Michael Rafferty, who is accused of raping and killing eight-year-old Victoria (Tori) Stafford.

Court is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. ET, a half-hour earlier than usual.

Justice Thomas Heeney said the extra time would increase the chances he could finish his charge in a single day, explaining it would be lengthy and cover a number of legal issues.
Terri-Lynne McClintic and Michael Rafferty are alleged to have abducted Victoria (Tori) Stafford on April 8, 2009. (Canadian Press)
The jury will begin deliberations once the instructions have been completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story...ford-rafferty-judge-instructions.html?cmp=rss

Wonders if MTR will be on best behavior for the judge or will he continue his eye rolling and scowls. Wonders if he will be in court today or if he will just appear by video conference due to his facial problems yesterday. MOO

Sillybilly, I could not bring over your final post from the other page however I wanted to respond to it. Thank you for sharing with us, and as one parent to another I can not imagine what you have suffered, but you are an amazing person for being able to go on. God bless you *hug*

Sillybilly, I could not bring over your final post from the other page however I wanted to respond to it. Thank you for sharing with us, and as one parent to another I can not imagine what you have suffered, but you are an amazing person for being able to go on. God bless you *hug*

Same here for Sillybilly. Losing my daughter would be my worst possible nightmare. I'm so sorry for your loss. xo

Good morning.

I'm so very sorry for your loss sillybilly. I can't even imagine.

I'm very interested to hear the instructions.

I was reading posts from earlier today and wanted to post regarding the discussion on the speculation about a drug debt. It would be very rare for sure, and in two other cases with the kidnapping of a child, one I think was described as being related to a drug debt, the other it was speculated about but the motive has not been revealed by LE imo. Both cases though the children were able to return home safely thank God.

TM testified to JG having ripped drugs off of someone.

TLM testified that TM and JG didn't owe her money, but they may owe money to others.

TLM and TM did not testify that the debt was not owed to TLM's mother.

I believe it was never stated in court who the money was owed to.

JMO I think who the money was owed to might possibly be revealed to the public during deliberations.

My heart goes out to Tori's family, such a brutal horrific crime, and the loss of a beautiful innocent child.

Fingers crossed the judge gets through his entire charge today so the jury can begin their deliberations. This needs to be over for Tori's family, to hear all the horrendous details must be so heartbreaking for them, i think about how we all feel about this and cannot even fathom what it must be like for her family.

Justice is coming sweet girl

Sillybilly, I am also very sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your story, my heart goes out to you.

Once the jury starts deliberations, do they go home for the night or do they stay in a hotel and meet with each other until a verdict is decided?

Once the jury starts deliberations, do they go home for the night or do they stay in a hotel and meet with each other until a verdict is decided?

Well the judge told them to being their Pajamas and toothbrushes, so I don't think they will be going home until they reach a verdict.... Not sure?

They will be sequestered. No going home tonight if the Judge finishes today.

They will be sequestered so after the instructions are over, hopefully today, they will no longer be able to go home until they reach a verdict. And the press can start releasing the articles they have ready to go.

MOO

35,000 people at the sentencing?

that'd be an amazing sight to see

I don't live in Woodstock but I'll be there provided I have enough notice so I can book off work

I couldn't 'quote |Lady L because the thread was closed.

I would be prepared to go to London even if it was just to stand outside the courthouse (respectfully) IF my presences was interpreted to be for support of the family and Tori. However, if my presences was interpreted as being sort of a vigilanti sort of thing or voyeaur <spck of news, that's not something I'd put myself into.

How do you peeps think a LARGE contingent of people would be viewed?

It's been a very long 3 years. Hard to believe we've finally come to this stage of the proceedings and that the "story" has been told to the best of it's ability by the Crown with supporting evidence.

The defence's lack of ability to counter that story, while I know it's not their job to provide proof of innocence, was very telling. It appears to me that most of the rumours that have been perpetuating for the past 3 years with regard to the motive of this senseless act were just that, rumours. Derstine is a very qualified lawyer and was brought in to replace the standard legal aid supplied lawyer. If there was anything, anything at all that would substantiate that the motive was for something other than nefarious and sexual purposes, he would have moved mountains to bring it forward IMO.

So I believe the charges as they stand are appropriate for this crime and I only hope that there are no lesser charges given as an option to this jury. This was a senseless death as a result of a kidnapping and sexual assault and the defendent, like his partner in crime, deserves no less that 1st Degree Murder.

MOO

It's been a very long 3 years. Hard to believe we've finally come to this stage of the proceedings and that the "story" has been told to the best of it's ability by the Crown with supporting evidence.

The defence's lack of ability to counter that story, while I know it's not their job to provide proof of innocence, was very telling. It appears to me that most of the rumours that have been perpetuating for the past 3 years with regard to the motive of this senseless act were just that, rumours. Derstine is a very qualified lawyer and was brought in to replace the standard legal aid supplied lawyer. If there was anything, anything at all that would substantiate that the motive was for something other than nefarious and sexual purposes, he would have moved mountains to bring it forward IMO.

So I believe the charges as they stand are appropriate for this crime and I only hope that there are no lesser charges given as an option to this jury. This was a senseless death as a result of a kidnapping and sexual assault and the defendent, like his partner in crime, deserves no less that 1st Degree Murder.

MOO

Great summation! Love it.

The thing that gets me, reading over some previous posts many people accuse TLM as being a pathalogical liar, yet I don't see evidence she is. Yes she changed her story, but I can see why (in her eyes).
MR on the other hand...OMG everything he ever said was spewed with lies....to all the girls....police, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah