Mexico MEXICO - Annette Mizener, 37, 4 Dec 2004 - Missing on cruise

angie2980

Reaction score
This is a very bizzare case, I beleive she was a victim of foul play. When authorities went to check the security camera's for that area of the ship, the tape had been tampered with:

Annette Mizener, 37, had just finished a vacation with her parents and teenage daughter and was returning home Saturday night when she vanished from a Carnival Cruise Lines ship.
The FBI is investigating to determine whether Mizener might have fallen accidentally from the ship, jumped overboard on purpose, or become a victim of foul play.

"We are not ruling out any possibility at this juncture," said Cathy Viray, spokeswoman for the FBI in Los Angeles.

Mizener's purse was found alongside a railing on the cruise ship, which is about the size of a football field. Authorities said a search of the vessel and ocean waters off of Mexico turned up no sign of her.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/dec04/282103.asp

Please, please pray for this family as they are my next door neighbors!!!

I wonder if any of the employees on this ship were on the other Carnival ship that "lost" a passenger a few weeks ago? I hope that they can find her.

I heard about this on the news.. Very strange. Her family is very firm in stating that they do not beleive she would have jumped. I too think foul play is involved... I just don't think they will really ever know.. If she is in those waters, they will never find her.
How sad.

Good Morning America was at their house this morning interviewing John, her husband, and he believes there is NO WAY she would have commited suicide. I too beleive there is no way they will find her, if she is in those waters, she's gone. This is so sad, especially since she's my neighbor. It's so strange.

I was just on a cruise and I was thinking that it is amazing that more people haven't fallen accidentally. I wonder if she was drinking that night, I know that I did one night and I was wandering around and I fell on the stairs :blushing: . I wonder if any of the crew was the same as other one a little bit ago or the same with Amy Bradley. How horrible.

Tenessee? Can you tell us more about the person that was "lost" from a cruise ship a few weeks ago? I don't remember hearing about that. I wonder if there is any way to compare the ship's crew or passengers manifest from this ship, to that ship, to the one of Amy Bradley.

This is very sad. Remember a few years ago a girl vanished travelling with her brother and parents?

If the security tapes have been tampered with it is definately not a suicide... I am so sorry angie that these are your neighbours, how awful :(

John, Annette's husband, was on the news again last night. Apparently, Annette couldn't swim, and she really didn't want to go on this cruise. So I feel there is no way Annette is alive, or if her body will ever be found. Plus, you can tell that John is getting extremely frustrated with everyone asking if she "commited suicide". Why would the security camera for that part of the deck be tampered with? Everytime I leave for work and come home, there is just news vehicles parked right outside their home. I really feel bad for them. But I keep praying that they will get answers soon.

I wonder how the video camera was tampered with. I know that from the cruise that I was just on (Princess), the cameras were not very obvious. A few were, but for the most part, unless you knew where to look you would not notice them. Was it the tape that was tampered with or the actual camera? So many questions...

CeeJay said:
Tenessee? Can you tell us more about the person that was "lost" from a cruise ship a few weeks ago? I don't remember hearing about that. I wonder if there is any way to compare the ship's crew or passengers manifest from this ship, to that ship, to the one of Amy Bradley.
Here is a link to a couple of articles about him. I was just wondering the crew changes and they might go to different ships? He was on a Bahamas cruise and hers was Mexican, I believe.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=28363

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-11-26-cruise-missing_x.htm?POE=TRVISVA

that she disappeared after one of her parents saw her on their room balcony...and that the parents believed that she had been forcibly removed from the ship. But I can't remember what cruise line was involved-do you?

I remember a couple of years ago a girl named Amy Bradley or Bradly dissappeared from the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The family believed she was kidnapped for slavery or something. We still pray for her and her family.

From talking to the people that worked on the cruise lines, they remain on the ship they are assigned to and do not change ships. They work 6 months straight and then have 2 months off (or something similar to that). They are allowed to leave the ship sometimes when at a port, depending on their shift.

I suppose if these disappearances are foul play - it could just as easily be a copy-cat situation. A sadly "perfect crime" for a sick individual. I've never been on a cruise. Could someone legitimately fall off? I wouldn't think that the railing would have space big enough for a person to accidentally fall. And what about when the boat goes to port? Do they document who or what leaves the ship and returns to help keep track of passengers? What happens if you don't come back in time after being at port? Do they wait for you?

It can be fairly easy to "jump". It is not likely anyone can "fall". There is railing and usually it has plastic/plexiglass that someone would have to climb up on and go over. (This is from my experience from Royal Caribbean and Princess... I would assume Carnival is the same).

When you board the ship, you are given a card that you have to carry everywhere (like a driver's license and credit card in one) This card is used for purchases and when leaving the ship, you have to scan/swipe the card to get off or get back on. If you do not have your card, you will not be allowed to leave. You will not be allowed off the ship without scanning/swiping your card.

Here is a copy of the fax I sent to the Los Angeles FBI office:

Fax

To:

Michael G

Fax:

Pages:

Phone:

408-

Date:

12//2004

Re:

Missing Passenger from Carnival Pride

CC:

Urgent For Review Please Comment Please Reply Please Recycle

l Comments:

Hello, I am the passenger aboard the Carnival Pride that found the articles from the woman that went missing aboard the Carnival Pride on Saturday night (December 04, 2004). I am providing a breakdown of the timeline of what happened and what actions were taken by the Carnival Security personnel on the ship. All times are approximate.

04 DEC 2004

2200 – Purse (small black, beaded evening bag), overturned drink glass, and scattered papers found by myself and security. Security camera was covered (but the camera does not directly cover area where passenger went missing). I was questioned and my name taken by security.

2230 – Returned to Deck 3 outside of Internet Café/Library where items found. Noticed note tucked into life ring and emergency strobe partially out of it’s bracket. Approximately 20’ further aft, also found pen. Alerted Security to all items which they picked up by hand and removed from scene. At this time, Annette M. from Cabin 6169 was paged from ship’s system. She was asked to report to or call the Purser’s Office at x7777.

2300 – Again returned to scene, talked to the woman’s daughter. Daughter stated she was there with mother and grandparents. Father was in San Diego, CA. Found beads from purse on deck and spots of blood. Pages to passenger of Cabin 6169 continue. The announcement is made approximately every 10 minutes.

2330 – Security starts to walk around ship with passenger’s picture and announcements continue.

05 DEC 04

0100 – Meet with daughter again and she informs me that there was a man harassing her mother aboard ship. Security had been notified of this many times. Security stated it was not their problem. Captain announces that they will begin a search of the ship, including passenger cabins.

0115 – Informed by crew member that at 0030, US Coast Guard helicopter drops two USCG officers aboard the Carnival Pride.

0145 – I inform Assistant Cruise Director and Head of Security that the area where passenger went missing from should be roped off and any evidence preserved. Both were standing approximately 10’ from where woman went missing from. I was told to mind my own business.

0200 – Ship was turned around and all informed we were participating in SAR action.

0400 – Security brings to scene ‘caution tape’ and excludes passengers from area where woman went missing.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

When I first went on the deck at 2200 on 04 DEC 2004, I noticed the security camera covered, an empty overturned drink glass on the deck, the purse, and scattered papers. When security went through her purse, they also removed a considerable amount of money from it. Security members complained about having to start a search and that this was going to ruin their vacation as the Carnival Pride was going into dry-dock in San Francisco after this voyage. In front of the daughter at 2300, ship’s security was telling her that she (the mother) had committed suicide. None of the security at the time seemed concerned about the missing woman although they were convinced she was already overboard.

During this time, I was followed and harassed by Carnival Cruise Lines Security employees who insinuated that I had something to do with the passenger’s disappearance. My cabin (5164) was search without my authorization PRIOR to the Captain announcing that there would be a ship wide search for the missing passenger.

Feel free to contact me at the phone number above if there are any questions. I feel it deplorable that Carnival Cruise Lines is trying to soft-pedal and whitewash this incident.

Sincerely,

Michael G,

Passenger in Cabin 5164

MichaelG,
Thanks for posting about your experience. I'm sure it was and is very troubling to you to have been so close to the situation.

I read that you found a note. Was it handwritten? I hadn't heard anything about the note or blood droplets. And this man who had been harrassing her. It is terrible that Carnival would not intervene in that situation. I'll definitely not be taking any cruises on Carnival.

Please let us know if anything develops.

imo

I believe the note was handwritten. I was not able to read it as security took it inside and opened it. I believe there was writing on the paper. As for the blood, no one has mentioned it anywhere.

This was a horrible experience for me. The head of Carnival security in Florida called me and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I was like, DUH! Make sure the FBI gets all the information they need so that Annette's family knows what is going on.

I am very disappointed in the way Carnival has handled this whole fiasco (on their part). I will never trust a cruise line's security ever again. They are SO incompetent and DO NOT know how to handle a crime scene. I mean, sela off the area AFTER 6 hours? Please...

MichaelG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back