Woman keeps her passwords taped on her computer at work

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Before she begins work each morning, Kate Prior must enter eight computer passwords. Each must contain at least eight characters, and most require letters and numbers. Every three months, she must change them all.

How does the 28-year-old monitor of drug trials remember her passwords? Easy: They're written on a blue Post-It note affixed to her computer.

Ms. Prior knows that her display threatens to undermine the very security that passwords are supposed to promote. "The IT people yell at me," she says, referring to her company's information-technology staff. But she prefers the occasional scolding to the alternative: forgetting a password, guessing incorrectly three times, and then having to call for help.

Full Story

Casshew said:
Before she begins work each morning, Kate Prior must enter eight computer passwords. Each must contain at least eight characters, and most require letters and numbers. Every three months, she must change them all.

How does the 28-year-old monitor of drug trials remember her passwords? Easy: They're written on a blue Post-It note affixed to her computer.

Ms. Prior knows that her display threatens to undermine the very security that passwords are supposed to promote. "The IT people yell at me," she says, referring to her company's information-technology staff. But she prefers the occasional scolding to the alternative: forgetting a password, guessing incorrectly three times, and then having to call for help.

Full Story
I have mine written on a sticky under my mouse pad.

Lakergirl123 said:
I have mine written on a sticky under my mouse pad.
Mine are under the keyboard! They have to have letters, numbers, and at least one special character! They change every 3 months and can't have anything in them that the last 10 had! Try to remember all that!

Isnt' that a little like writing the pin number for your ATM card right on the back of it? LOL I've got my passwords written down too, but I keep them in my address book in my hand bag, not on the computer!

I often use the middle names of my children with several numbers that mean something to me so mine aren't written anywhere.

Pfft, passwords are so old school. Here we use biometric readers and retinal scans, and when we go home, we're tagged with a device around the ankle and tracked via GPS, just to verify that it's really us on the remote terminal. Oh, and every week we need to give urine samples. Just for kicks.

thats probably not too far off in the future !!!

My password for everything is the same - I will occasionally add a number on the end if I need more characters or a mix of alpha & numeric characters. I know its not very safe - but, I would not be able to remember ANYTHING else if I had the passwords for everything stored in my head. Even at work, I change it to the same thing every time I am prompted to change it - lol

I have a teacher in school who gives lectures on computer security. After the lectures inevitably people come up to her, tell her their passwords and then say, "Do you think my computer is safe?"

She smiles and says, "Not anymore". She says that several people have then looked at her, preplexed and say, "But we did everything you told us to!"

We use one of those pens that contain ink only visible under a black light. Black light key chains/pens are very inexpensive on eBay. To everyone else, the paper looks blank.

for passwords on none critical uses, I'll use the same password.

for critical uses, a different one for each instance.

an easy way for me to remember is to use two small unrelated words with a number in the middle.

I was helping a close friend once that had her accounts stolen by the fake email trick. I straightened out one account and got the password that was entered. I then entered the same password for her other accounts and got them all back. Apparently the thiefs like to use the same password for everything too. I traced that guy to an address in Romania.

Wish I could trace cell phone numbers as easily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back