Broken Post Quotes

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes when someone quotes another poster and they edit the quote it can lead to problems if we are not careful.
If the closing tag, which is [/quote] is disturbed in the edit,through bolding parts of it or removing parts of it, the quote will stay open and run into your post.
The problem is when the next person quotes that open post it will close the tag and quote the wrong poster..then this quote gets carrie d and so on and s on. before you know it it looks like we are all saying thnigs that we aren't and it all goes back to that first post where a poster left the quote open in the first place.

We try to fix them when we see them, but if a conversation has gone on too long,it is impractical for us to go in and fix as broken quote that has been carried 50 times.

So PLEASE after you quote someone if you see the quote is not in the little box, hit the edit button on your post and close the quote yourself by putting in the closing tag.
[/quote]
It would save us all so much trouble. thank you!

Sometimes when someone quotes another poster and they edit the quote it can lead to problems if we are not careful.
If the closing tag, which is is disturbed in the edit,through bolding parts of it or removing parts of it, the quote will stay open and run into your post.
The problem is when the next person quotes that open post it will close the tag and quote the wrong poster..then this quote gets carrie d and so on and s on. before you know it it looks like we are all saying things that we aren't and it all goes back to that first post where a poster left the quote open in the first place.

We try to fix them when we see them, but if a conversation has gone on too long,it is impractical for us to go in and fix as broken quote that has been carried 50 times.

So PLEASE after you quote someone if you see the quote is not in the little box, hit the edit button on your post and close the quote yourself by putting in the closing tag.

It would save us all so much trouble. thank you![/quote]

here is an example. I bolded the quoted post last sentence and I accidentally bolded a portion of the close quote. as you can see the quote did not close and as people quote this post it will carry on and get worse.
All I need to do is hit edit and unbold that portion of the closing tag and it will be fine.

If the closing tag, which is [/quote ] is disturbed in the edit,through bolding parts of it or removing parts of it, the quote will stay open and run into your post.

quote]

another example. when I snipped the quote, I removed part of the closing tag. To fix it, I only need to hit edit and then restore the closing tag.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back