Bob Dylan, 50 years into career, awarded prestigious presidential Medal of Freedom

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Fifty years on, Dylan awarded Medal of Freedom (AP / kansascity.com)
WASHINGTON -- Few recipients of the presidential Medal of Freedom have carried more cultural and artistic weight than Bob Dylan, who received the recognition from President Barack Obama on Tuesday at the White House for contributions to American life and culture.

The gravel-voiced Dylan, who turned 71 last week, has both pleased and baffled fans and critics for five decades. His 40-plus albums have featured folk anthems, country hits, rock classics and even religious tunes now sung in church pews and by gospel choirs.

“There is not a bigger giant in the history of American music,” Obama said during a packed ceremony in the East Room of the White House.

Photographers and reporters jockeyed for a glimpse of the music icon, and even politicians used to the limelight seemed star-struck. The famously retiring Dylan wore dark sunglasses throughout the event and sat bow-tied and stone-faced, not even cracking a smile during lighthearted moments.
---
lengthy article at the link above

Love Dylan, thanks for the post

Read much on Dylan, will find a post on him, by him.
He states he was never political nor his songs.. Oh well.

thanks again.

Goz..:)

If nothing else, he deserves it for All Along the Watchtower, which Hendrix then took and perfected. Amazing song, amazing performance by Jimi.

[video=youtube;YwSZvHqf9qM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM[/video]

Sorry folks but I don't feel his music makes him a 'hero'. Now the pilot that landed that plane on the Hudson River - he's a hero!

The Medal of Freedom is awarded to a number of people for a number of reasons.

But even that said, Bob Dylan is a true hero to me.

I think I saw Bobby D. at the performance right before this one - I saw him in Wichita, Rolling Thunder 2.0:

Idiot wind with ok Lyrics Mp4 x264 - YouTube

GREAT post, 2 points.

Your thread prompted me to look up the other Medal of Freedom recipients, thanks. It is always good to learn something. I also listened to Dylan vids yesterday, his music shaped his generation, he stood up for his beliefs and for those of many. Along the way he made some damn good music. :)

List of Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back