OH Sleuthers Needed - friend from the past

indicajane

damaged goods
Reaction score
This is an old case. A solved case, technically. But, not for me.

Like many others, I never forgot my first boyfriend.
I was a troubled teenager, and was sent to attend a special class in eighth grade for severely behaviorly handicapped children. It was 1986-87. I lived in Dublin, a suburb of Columbus, OH...but apparently the only school with that program was in Upper Arlington, so I was bussed, alone there to be the only girl in a classroom for troubled kids in the public middle school. There were six boys there from other suburbs around Columbus.

This is where I met him.

He was in seventh grade, I was in eighth, but he was far more mature then the rest of us. He had grown up fast, a child of a single mother in a not so great area of town. He had a terrible temper that flared, I remember him getting so upset one day he tore apart the classroom, but it was never directed at anyone, it was just seething fury right below the surface.
I loved him.
There was no romance that year, obviously, other then my schoolgirl crush.

But the next year, after I was intergrated back into public school, we kept in touch..and yes, there was a romance then. Something happened though, and he got in big trouble and sent to a boys home. My mother was going to take me to visit him, but he ran away. The police actually called our house looking for him. And then he called to assure me he was alright. My mother was traumatized by the whole experience. they did catch him, and i never saw or heard from again. We moved shortly afterwards, and this was way before the internet or texting. So that was that.

every few years I would google him, expecting him to one day pop up in facebook or something, and maybe be able to talk to him, laugh about old times.

Today, on ancestory.com (my school has access) I discovered he was dead, at 20. I tried to understand the short entry. In the hospital? 20? How? Cancer?

Then I looked deeper and found a headline (no access to an article) stating that he had shot a 15 year old girl in the head and shot himself.

Now, I'm stunned. How? Why? What? I knew him. He was a gentle boy, with so much anger due to circumstances beyond his control. He had been in my house. I had kissed him. I have thought about him for 25 years, and he was a monster? I have been tracking criminal cases for years, but it has never touched me before, and now i'm left wanting to know so much more.

I can't even access the obit, or the original articles, and no clue how. It happened right before Halloween in 1994. His name was Heath A Kelso. The crime occurred in Columbus, Ohio. I don't know if he shot himself, or the cops did? I just want to know what happened. I am thinking abotu writing about it.

Can any of you far more experienced sleuths give a fellow crime buff a hand here with this so personal story.

Wow! I can understand why you wish to find out the truth about your friend from the past!

I hope our wonderful Sleuthers on WS can help you find the closure you need!:please:

HEATH A KELSO was born 06 January 1974, got Social Security number 290-70-**** (indicating Ohio,) and died 27 October 1994.

Source: http://ssdmf.info/by_birthdate/19740106.html

2nd source:

237. HEATH KELSO, 20, WHO POLICE BELIEVE ABDUCTED A 15-YR-OLD BEXLEY GIRL AND SHOT HER IN THE HEAD, HAS BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW SINCE AGE 13 Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Saturday, October 29, 1994 Page: 7 B
Byline: BRENT LALONDE

Source: http://www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlc...ginal=CORRUPTION OF A MINOR&RequestTimeout=60

3rd source (note it looks like the age is incorrect, but the details appear the same):

POLICE SEEK ANSWERS IN SHOOTING OF 15-YR-OLD GIRL; HEATH KELSO, 24, FOUND FATALLY WOUNDED ON RT 104, IS SUSPECT IN HER ABDUCTION, BUT WITNESSES ARE NEEDED
Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Friday, October 28, 1994 Page: 4 B

4th source:

BEXLEY OFFICIALS KEEP QUIET AFTER ATTEMPTED ABDUCTION OF 21-YR-OLD WOMAN NEAR BEXLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY; HEATH KELSO IS IDENTIFIED BY INTENDED VICTIM
Publication: Columbus Dispatch Date: Saturday, October 29, 1994 Page: 1 B

http://www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlc...-CHILDREN AND YOUTH&stype=O&RequestTimeout=60

You can obtain his death record here (but I don't have an account):

http://www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_ac...y=Columbus&recordType=5&HardCopyCert=1&age=38

Mel

He is NOT on this list so that is one avenue crossed off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._officers_in_the_United_States#2008_and_older

I have some places I can check over the weekend. I totally understand the 'first love' thing. Mine was killed by some drunk driver old lady who, at 10am, hit him while he was on his motorcycle and then ran over him, decapitating him. The pain of his death will never go away.

I've done several searches so far and nothing yet but I'll keep looking for you. Sorry you had the sad news today, that anticipation is so special. :hug:

Did he have any brothers or relatives named Christopher or Ross?

I'm sorry, but it appears that he raped the teen girl before murdering her and then killing himself because he was identified by another young woman he attempted to abduct. I wish this had turned out differently for you, and for all of them. (hugs) - ps> I can't read much more than the headlines, but I think he shot himself when facing arrest and was then taken to the hospital by police.

Name: Heath Adam Edward Kelso Birth Date: 6 Jan 1974 Birth City: Columbus Birth County: Franklin Birth State: Ohio Birth Country: United States Gender: Male Race: White Hispanic Origin: Not Hispanic (Latino) Death Date: 27 Oct 1994 Death Time: 09:35 AM Hospital of Death: G/Rmh Grant Campus City of Death: Columbus County of Death: Franklin Certificate: 078248 Age at Death: 20 Hospital Status: Hospital/Inpatient Injury in Ohio: Yes Type Place of Injury: Other Unspecified Places County of Injury: Franklin Social Security Number: 290-70-8933 Father's Surname: Kelso Mother's Maiden Name: Bryant Marital Status: Never Married (Single) Education: 12 Industry of Decedent: Landscape and horticultural services Occupation of Decedent: Supervisors related agricultural occupations Census Tract: 2730 Primary Registration District: 2501

Here is the death record from Archives.com -
Heath Adam Edward Kelso

First Name: Heath Middle Name: Adam Edward Last Name: Kelso Gender: Male Birth Date: Jan 6, 1974 Birth Place: Columbus(Pt), FRANKLIN OhioMap Death Date: Oct 27, 1994 Age: 20 Residence: Columbus(Pt), FRANKLIN Ohio, 999 27 Map Race: White Death Location: Columbus(Pt), Franklin, OHMap Record Type: Death Record Certificate Number: 078248 Marital Status: Never Married

For insight into understanding why the gentle but angry boy you knew could become the man who committed such horrendous acts, may I suggest reading the book titled "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook--What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love and Healing" by Dr. Bruce Perry.

Dr Perry uses abuse and neglect case studies to illustrate his lessons about the human brain development and how age-specific traumas affect children. It's quite fascinating and compelling. I think it'd be an interesting angle for you to explore if you decide to write the book.

Did he have any brothers or relatives named Christopher or Ross?

I don't recall talk of individual siblings, but i have no doubt there could have been some?

Yes, I read those headlines too...thats' what made my heart hurt, when i read the headline of his crimes beginning at age 13, which sent him into my sphere.

Does anyone know if there is anyway I can request the original crime reports, like the victims names blacked out? I can't seem to access the original articles at all :(

For insight into understanding why the gentle but angry boy you knew could become the man who committed such horrendous acts, may I suggest reading the book titled "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook--What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love and Healing" by Dr. Bruce Perry.

looking into getting it right now. Don't think I really have enough information for a book, I was considering an essay or an article though...if I was able to get more. My mother's friend from high school wrote about a mutual friend who was a victim of Alton Coleman and his girlfriend i read as a child, and I always found the personal angle of her story fascinating. Darn if I can remeber the name of that book, I think it was a vanity press book written in the 90's..

indicajane,

I too was an ex of Heath's. This is my story and facts and opinions may vary.

Heath and I were 14 when we met at my dad's apartment complex in Bexley. I believe Heath was staying with his mom at the time. My dad being an officer there knew Health already with his troubled background. I was told not to hang around him. As a rebellious teen, I found that even more attractive. I went to my dad's on the weekends and while he went to work we would hang out. We chatted on the phone for months as well. I liked him. We had alot in common, but mostly I wanted to "rescue" him from the pain he always seemed to feel.
My hometown was in Grove City. I met a different boy and moved on. One day there was a knock on my door. Heath was there with a friend of his. When asking why he was there he said he had been moved to the Buckeye Boys Ranch and went AWOL. He wanted me to go with him and his friend somewhere (can't remember where) and I knew my mom wouldn't go for it, as my dad had warned her of him. Heath left after about an hour.
6 years later, my mom and I were watching the news and the headline appears. There is Heath's face looking back at me. I watched the news for the next week following this story. Here is what I understand to have happened.

According to the news reports, an officer driving down Rt. 104 heard gunshots and turned around to see what the commotion was. When he found the crime scene on a service road. He found Heath laying on the ground dead of a gun shot wound. Supposedly, Heath had kidnapped a girl, she tried to escape, he shot her and then shot himself in the head. The girl escaped and made it to Burger King to get help. After the search for answers, the news reports over the next few days that Heath had raped and/or molested several females; and to top it off had been running a prostitution ring. He had been doing this supposedly from the time he was around 15. This is the last I ever heard or could find on the story. I always wanted to know how that girl turned out health wise. I don't believe she died. Thank God!
Heath and I had a blast that summer! Luckily, I moved on with some other boy. Luckily, I didn't go with him and his friend that day. (who knows) So, in your thoughts of your 1st love, I am sorry that this is the news that you are getting. Just be thankful and truly humbled that you were not a victim to him.
If you have other questions you can email me at Dylankel@yahoo.com.

Good luck to you!

indicajane,

I too was an ex of Heath's. This is my story and facts and opinions may vary.

Heath and I were 14 when we met at my dad's apartment complex in Bexley. I believe Heath was staying with his mom at the time. My dad being an officer there knew Health already with his troubled background. I was told not to hang around him. As a rebellious teen, I found that even more attractive. I went to my dad's on the weekends and while he went to work we would hang out. We chatted on the phone for months as well. I liked him. We had alot in common, but mostly I wanted to "rescue" him from the pain he always seemed to feel.
My hometown was in Grove City. I met a different boy and moved on. One day there was a knock on my door. Heath was there with a friend of his. When asking why he was there he said he had been moved to the Buckeye Boys Ranch and went AWOL. He wanted me to go with him and his friend somewhere (can't remember where) and I knew my mom wouldn't go for it, as my dad had warned her of him. Heath left after about an hour.
6 years later, my mom and I were watching the news and the headline appears. There is Heath's face looking back at me. I watched the news for the next week following this story. Here is what I understand to have happened.

According to the news reports, an officer driving down Rt. 104 heard gunshots and turned around to see what the commotion was. When he found the crime scene on a service road. He found Heath laying on the ground dead of a gun shot wound. Supposedly, Heath had kidnapped a girl, she tried to escape, he shot her and then shot himself in the head. The girl escaped and made it to Burger King to get help. After the search for answers, the news reports over the next few days that Heath had raped and/or molested several females; and to top it off had been running a prostitution ring. He had been doing this supposedly from the time he was around 15. This is the last I ever heard or could find on the story. I always wanted to know how that girl turned out health wise. I don't believe she died. Thank God!
Heath and I had a blast that summer! Luckily, I moved on with some other boy. Luckily, I didn't go with him and his friend that day. (who knows) So, in your thoughts of your 1st love, I am sorry that this is the news that you are getting. Just be thankful and truly humbled that you were not a victim to him.
If you have other questions you can email me at Dylankel@yahoo.com.

Good luck to you!
He never ran a prostitution ring that's flat out crap I realize this a story from a long time ago but I was with him at the time we had one child and were expecting another was he in trouble yes a lot but point blank simple he never has to rape anybody he just batted his eyelashes and no one will know the truth of that night as I firmly believe it was a large cover up to protect a scared privileged girl

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back