Blue Lobster Found By Canadian Fisherman

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/11/a-catch-straight-out-of-the-deep-blue-sea/?hpt=hp_c3

A catch straight out of the deep blue sea

June 11th, 2012
09:46 PM ET

120612011118-blue-lobster-story-top.jpg

Canadian lobsterman Bobby Stoddard caught this rare blue lobster in early May. He's not sure what to do with it.

A rare event is said to happen once in a blue moon. But a blue moon has nothing on a blue lobster.

Canadian lobster boat captain Bobby Stoddard said he and his crew were hauling in their lobster traps one day in early May when one of the men called out, "Hey, we got a pretty one in this trap!"...

I wish an aquarium would take him.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/11/a-catch-straight-out-of-the-deep-blue-sea/?hpt=hp_c3

According to the University of Maine Lobster Institute, blue lobsters are a one-in-2-million phenomenon. A genetic variation causes the lobster to produce an excessive amount of a particular protein that gives it that azure aspect.

Stoddard offered his find (a male, by the way) to a nearby ocean research institute, but "they didn't seem too interested," he said.

Its so pretty!

JMO....
It seems incredible that,this,blue lobster lived to maturity!

It seems it would "stand out" to predators from lack of camouflage!

JMO....
It seems incredible that,this,blue lobster lived to maturity!

It seems it would "stand out" to predators from lack of camouflage!

I dunno. The ocean is blue. Maybe it was better camouflaged.

Over the past few years several of these blue lobsters have been caught off the coast of southwest nova Scotia. Often they are let go shortly after the photo ops. I remember one large one many years ago that was bought by a resturant, but due to public outcry it was later released back at sea.

Throw it back? Give it to an aquarium? Nooooo wayyyy, that bad boy would be going on my plate! Nice looking claws there, best meat in the lobster IMO.

:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back