India - The Most Dangerous Place to be a Girl-**Graphic**

believe09

Reaction score
I realize this should probably be in spotlight on Children. But I think this story deserves a wide audience.

He wanted a boy, an heir. Girls were too expensive, he said. A couple of days after giving birth, Banu says her husband gave an ultimatum.
"For her wedding we will require a hundred thousand rupees (about US$1,800 dollars) for all the expense. If you can get that amount from your mother, then keep her, but if you can't, then kill her," Banu recalled her husband as saying.
She figured that he would fall in love with her, but he kept his word and brutally beat his beautiful child to death. At 3 months of age.

India has a growing gender gap: The 2011 census showed that for every 1,000 boys six years or younger there were only 914 girls. It is the lowest child sex ratio since India's independence in 1947.
The United Nations has said India is the most dangerous place to be a girl. Dr. Anand Krishnan at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), who has studied the gender gap for years, agrees.
India has one of the largest economies in the world. Dont get me started on the gap between rich and poor there...but as someone in the article points out if you slaughter all of the girls, who will the boys marry?

This story killed me.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/world/asia/india-female-infanticide/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily2_&page=NewsArticle&id=28353

According to "All Things Considered," Indian culture tends to see boys as assets and girls as liabilities because girls are more costly and potentially could be a source of dishonor to families. C. Chandramouli, India's census commissioner, said the female feticide trend was first recognized in the 2000 census, but the new figures show the disparity is increasing. He said, "It has to be said that what was predominantly a North Indian phenomena of a few states has now spread across the country, and we see a uniform decline all over the country, so that is what is more distressing."

http://www.hhropenforum.org/2012/02...ds-worst-gender-disparity-in-child-mortality/

India and China, however, stand as the sole countries where female infant mortality surpasses male mortality, as substantiated by the new study, “Sex Differentials in Childhood Mortality,” from the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs. This discrepancy is actually worse in China, with 76 boy infant deaths for every 100 girl infant deaths, yet India possesses the worst child mortality gender differential by far.

This is more than infanticide because of gender. This man bite, beat, and burned that little baby, dislocated her neck. If he just wanted her dead because she was a liability, he could have just killed her instead of torturing her. Obviously he was mad at her for being female, yet it was a female he married, and there needs to be a female for his precious some day son to marry. If anyone should be punished for the child being a girl, it should be the father, since it's his sperm that decides the gender.

I submit that he did it because he could and no one would look at him askance for it. Why? Because female children are so devalued in the culture. The infanticide and crimes like this are connected. Only in a climate which condones the first could the other occur without raising outrage locally.

This is more than infanticide because of gender. This man bite, beat, and burned that little baby, dislocated her neck. If he just wanted her dead because she was a liability, he could have just killed her instead of torturing her. Obviously he was mad at her for being female, yet it was a female he married, and there needs to be a female for his precious some day son to marry. If anyone should be punished for the child being a girl, it should be the father, since it's his sperm that decides the gender.

I dont know why this isnt more widely known in cultures where the sex of a child is an issue.

Bump-someone was looking for this thread...

This just makes me sick! And every one of us should be disgusted. It's fine to have laws that are meant to stop this type of barbaric behavior, unless everyone looks the other way as it's occurring.

I was already deeply disturbed by this story when I came across this one from China:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...s-for-reform/2012/06/15/gJQA5gKafV_story.html

These are countries with which the US does a great deal of commerce. Personally, I do not do continue to do business with US companies that outsource to India or buy goods from China. It may not make even the smallest dent, but I know I'm doing the right thing and it makes me feel better not to support the economies of countries that place such little value on human life and civil rights.

I wish more Americans would take a stand and hit these countries where it hurts - in the pocketbook! When the "authorities" drag a pregnant women out of her home and force her to have an "abortion" at 7 months, it's murder. Plain and simple.

India will pay a very high price with their "selective" births. Not only is it sickening, but stupid and short-sighted.

Yes, someone needs to inform the idiots that the male's sperm is what determines the sex of the baby. They should also consider educating their people about what needs to happen to CREATE LIFE.

/rant over. But not really. :)

myramm said:
Obviously he was mad at her for being female, yet it was a female he married, and there needs to be a female for his precious some day son to marry.

Disagree. He shouldn't be allowed to have a son. He needs to be sterilized.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back