SD - Brooklyn Howard, 3 mos, dies at day care, Davison County, 19 June 2012

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Developing story...

The death of an infant who was being cared for at a rural Davison County day care facility is under investigation.

Brooklyn Kennedy Howard, the daughter of Amy Ruml and Donny Howard, died Tuesday, reportedly at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital. She was 3 months old.

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/66813/

This poor family, what a tragic loss.

There is still not much information about this baby's death. There is only a local paper covering it at the moment so no word on if it was accidental or not.

So sad. Is it wrong to "hope" that it was SIDS, or something natural she died of? Just thinking too of all the other parents and children who would be even more traumatized than they already probably are if it turns out that the poor baby was harmed by someone. :(. Bad enough the poor little one has died... :cry:

Peace to little Brooklyn and her family :rose:

brooklyn-howard.jpg

Authorities have not released any new information regarding the Tuesday death of a three-month-old infant who was being cared for at a day care in rural Davison County.

The name and location of the day care has not been divulged. The Mitchell Police Division’s Tuesday press log includes a “death/coroner call” in the 700 block of West Spruce Street, where a home day care appears to be located. The log entry says “medics and officers responded to a medical emergency” in that general location at 3:22 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/66875/

Just look at that beautiful picture. :( I hope there was nothing nefarious about the passing of Brooklyn. To suffer her loss is enough for these parents. Hope there's an update soon.

Prayers to the family. We lost our godson to SIDS and it's one of the hardest losses our family has ever been through. No child should ever be taken from this world so soon.

That's just about the most adorable baby pic I've seen in a while.

Disguiseduser, so sorry about your dear godson. When I say "hope SIDS or something natural", it's really just a hope that it wasn't by the hand of another. Any loss of a baby is horrendous, but the wider ramifications of a murder, or covered up accident, lwould be even more pain that the family of little Brooklyn and the other daycare families and children would have to endure. :(

Probably badly worded, on my part. Maybe I mentioned SIDS because it would be the first thing to occur to me regarding the death of an otherwise healthy little one? Not sure why now... :( but My apologies to you and all. :blowkiss:

Gardenlady, I think you were perfectly clear. It will be hard enough for the family to deal with the death of a baby by natural causes. No one wants to think of a baby being intentionally or negligently injured.

Here is baby Brooklyn's obituary, before you read, have a Kleenex handy.

Brooklyn Kennedy Howard was born March 14, 2012, at 5:00 am to Amy Ruml and Donny Howard at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital. Brooklyn’s family was blessed with three short months, before she went to her heavenly home. Brooklyn experienced holding hands with her mommy and daddy, hugs and kisses from her family, listening as her mommy and daddy sang her songs and being told “I love you” an uncountable amount of times. Her smile would light up the room and she was always the center of attention with her bright blue eyes and “crazy” hair. She was very alert and attentive and didn’t want to miss a thing. She was fortunate to meet almost all of her family in her short, beautiful life. Brooklyn is deeply loved by her mommy and daddy, big brother Jacob, grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and many others. Brooklyn will always remain her parents’ precious baby and Jacob’s little sister and they will hold her again in heaven one day.

http://www.bittnerfuneralchapel.net/index.php?pageID=1231_2&personID=708&

I am hoping that this delay in information is out of respect for the family and waiting until after the funeral to make more known. Brooklyn was laid to rest today. If someone is responsible for her passing, I hope they are punished to the fullest extent.

No one should ever have to write an obituary like that. So heartbreaking. :cry:

The obituary is just heartbreaking, what a beautiful little girl.

"Certainly, some of the preliminary information we've received from the autopsy would indicate that there is some suspicion there and when there is that type of suspicion, law enforcement does what we do. We look into things," Jackley said.

Jackley oversees the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, the lead agency looking into Howard's death.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=133439

My heart hurts for her poor parents and family. I hope the person responsible is punished.

I have friend that keeps kids out of her home and is licensed. She had a little one die in her care (the baby was napping, and when she went to check on him, he wasnt breathing). She called 911 and performed CPR until the EMS got there. I hurt so bad for her, as she was totally devastated and distraught over this. She loved that little one like her own, and after a month and a half, she is still having a hard time dealing with it. She was told by police and EMS that she did everything she could have. Thank goodness the little boys mother and father did not blame her. They hugged and cried together. I was so hoping to hear that there was nothing afoul in this case. Prayers for the family.

It's hard to figure out what happened since they don't say what is the reason for suspicion. Also, sometimes what they think is suspicious is in fact a result of some sort of disease/disorder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back