Richard

Reaction score
Glenn Miller - Missing over the English Channel

Glenn Miller, U.S. Army Major and band leader
Missing: December 15, 1944 in a plane over the English Channel

Type Plane:
Norseman UC-64, a single engine aircraft. USAAF Tail Number 44-70285

Total Persons on Board:
Three (Flight Officer John Morgan, Major Glenn Miller and Lt. Col. Norman F. Baessell)

Weather:
Reported as "terrible weather conditions which existed between London and Paris."

Flight Route:
Disappeared on flight between London and Paris.

Area Believed Crashed:
English Channel

Reason for flight:
Transportation to Paris where he was to join his band (they had preceded him) to perform at the opening of SHAEF Headquarters at Versailles, which was being moved from London to Paris.

Search efforts:
At the time, there was a war going on. No real search effort reported.

Background:
In October 1942, Miller disbanded his orchestra and joined the US Army Air Force with the rank of captain and assembled a quality dance band to perform for the troops. When the troops moved to England, Miller's band followed. On December 14, 1944, Miller got on a plane to Paris. The plane never arrived. It crashed somewhere over the English Channel. Miller's death was mourned by music lovers all over the world, and he was heralded as a hero worldwide. The movie The Glenn Miller Story, starring Jimmy Stewart, was filmed in 1953 as a tribute to Miller. In fact, the Glenn Miller Orchestra still plays today.

Link
http://www.check-six.com/lib/Famous_Missing/Glenn_Miller_Flight.htm

I'm glad you posted this Richard. Glenn Miller and others like him are the missing persons that we sometimes forget. The families of soldiers who are MIA hardly ever get the answers the are looking for. There is one case that has been in the news recently about Scott Speicher who went missing during desert storm. I don't know the exact details of the story, but I read somewhere that his remaims may have been found but pending DNA tests nobody will know for sure.

There are thousands of men and women still missing from World War II, and many still missing from other wars before and since. Most have since been classified as "Killed in Action - Body Not Recovered" or KIA-BNR. Some have been found over the years or have been returned by the North Koreans or North Vietnamese.
LCDR Scott Speicher, USN was Naval Aviator who was the first American to be listed as Missing in Action during Desert Storm. He was subsequently declared a Prisoner of War when evidence surfaced that he had ejected from his aircraft and was probably taken prisoner by the Iraqis.

Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind for me is the joke about aliens in Red Dwarf:

"That's what they do. All those people who inexplicably vanish, they return them. Oh, smeg, that's all we need. Glenn Miller on board, boring us to death with Pennsylvania 6-5000."

Over the years, I have heard three scenarios in the disappearance of Glenn Miller:

.....The plane he was in was shot down by Nazi aircraft over the British Channel.

.....The plane was mistakenly struck by shells or bombs being ejected by British aircraft returning from a bombing run over Germany.

.....A problem with the plane caused it to crash not far from the end of the runway as it attempted to take off.

It was probably over 30 years ago that I saw a small article in the newspaper indicating that the remains of what was thought to be Miller's plane had been found. As I recall, it was somewhere in the waters of the British Channel, but I can't be sure. I never heard any more about that.

Even if they do ever find Miller's plane, they won't find his remains - sea organisms will have taken care of that.

70 years ago...

this December15th will mark the 70 year anniversary of the disappearance of Glenn Miller's plane.

MIA for 75 Years

Glenn Miller, US Army Air Force. MIA 15 December 1944

Glenn Miller is second to Amelia Earhart as the most famous missing person in aviation history. His fame in life as the hit-making big band leader behind swing classics like “In the Mood” is matched by the mysterious nature of his disappearance more than 74 years ago during a wartime flight from England to Paris. No one is sure why the UC-64A Norseman carrying Miller, pilot John Morgan and Lt. Col. Norman F. Baessell plunged into the English Channel on the afternoon of Dec. 15, 1944, but numerous theories have taken root ...

LINK:

What Happened to Glenn Miller? 74 Years Later Theories Abound on Why the Bandleader's Plane Crashed

Hi, my grandparents both were in Glen Millers band. Ward Sillaway trombonist and Kay Weber Sillaway vocalist. I have lots of pictures and mementos of Glen Miller.
That is SO cool! I grew up listening to Glen Miller and his songs are forever tied to the memories of my parents, and how they fell in love dancing to String of Pearls. : )

Missing for 75 years as of this month:

• upload_2019-12-1_8-42-2.jpeg
  • Glenn Miller, Army Officer, Band leader, Trombonist. MIA 15 December 1944

A Norseman UC-64, a single engine aircraft similar to the one in which Glenn Miller was travelling when it went missing.

Because there were witnesses and corroborating evidence, I tend to believe that the AF bombed Glenn Miller's plane while returning from a bombing run. The RAF would never admit to that ever happening. I doubt the whole bombing crew would make up a story.

Birmingham_Post_Herald_1986_01_01_page_15.jpg

Here is a link to a video featuring US Aircraft of World War II and the Glenn Miller Band playing "American Patrol":

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back