GUILTY FL - Dana Broberg for abducting 12yo girl, Margate, 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ne-relationship-folo-20120626,0,1134856.story

Texas man allegedly admitted to authorities that an online relationship he cultivated for months with a 12-year-old girl enabled him to lure her away from her Margate home, according to a federal complaint.

Dana Charles Broberg, 30, of San Antonio, allegedly enticed the girl to run away with him by calling the child his "love" and "baby" in exchanges — via e-mails, phone calls, text messages and social-networking sites — which he said began four or five months ago, according to the criminal complaint filed in federal court Monday.

Before Broberg allegedly abducted the girl from her home on Saturday evening, he told her he was traveling to Florida to pick her up and instructed her to delete their e-mail exchanges, the complaint said.

After his arrest, Broberg allegedly told authorities he had driven the girl to a hotel near Daytona Beach or Deltona, the complaint stated. Broberg has been federally charged with coercing a child to engage in sexual activity and knowingly traveling for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct with another person, the complaint said.
-------

The mother tried:

About June 17, the girl's mother realized her daughter was corresponding with the stranger, so she confiscated her laptop and cellphone, the complaint said. She also closed her daughter's e-mail and social-networking accounts. The girl then corresponded with the stranger by accessing the Internet via a Wii video-game console and opening another e-mail account, the complaint said.

More at link....

This is so frustrating. The technology that is available today is literally impossible for a parent to keep up with. A teen is going to find a way to access social media no matter how hard a parent tries to monitor them. The mothers efforts obviously did help track down this guy, which resulted in a better outcome than a parent that didn't put any effort into supervising their childs activities.

What in the world would have happened had they not been found?

This is so frustrating. The technology that is available today is literally impossible for a parent to keep up with. A teen is going to find a way to access social media no matter how hard a parent tries to monitor them. The mothers efforts obviously did help track down this guy, which resulted in a better outcome than a parent that didn't put any effort into supervising their childs activities.

What in the world would have happened had they not been found?

This child is not even a teen. A pre-teen. Unbelievable.

Thanks, Secrett, I didn't see that...maybe this can be merged?

I wondered the same thing---what was he going to do about it after they had sex in the hotel. Then what?

She is VERY lucky she was found when she was, imi, he might have felt desperate enought to dispose of her at some point once he saw all of the msm reports about her being missing.

When I grounded my son from the computer I had no idea about the wii. My husband disconnected it and told me he could access the internet from it. To me it was just a game. My son is 12 and so much farther advanced than I on these things.

When I grounded my son from the computer I had no idea about the wii. My husband disconnected it and told me he could access the internet from it. To me it was just a game. My son is 12 and so much farther advanced than I on these things.

Of course the children are going to be more advanced. They have access to these things from a young age, when their brain is still developing.
Hard for parents to keep up.

I hear ya. Back when my DD was younger, I took her cell phone away as punishment, and I found out later she was texting from her i-touch. lol Who knew?

March 2013 - Sentenced to 10 years in prison, and 20 years of supervision upon release.

Broberg, 31, imagined himself a "luna knight" rescuing a damsel from a hostile home...

A mental health evaluation found Broberg was a lonely man who lived a fantastical, almost anti-social existence, limited to videos and the Internet. "Not to be disrespectful to him, but he's been kind of creepy," defense attorney Joaquin Mendez told the court...

The report also noted the influence of Broberg's mother, who believed herself a bringer of light who would save the world.

Broberg pleaded guilty to using a computer to entice a minor into sexual activity. U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams, citing his mental infirmities, imposed the lowest prison term possible under sentencing guidelines

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...rgate-girl-dana-charles-broberg-mental-health

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back