July 9th. could be "internet doomsday"

~n/t~

Reaction score
July 9 might be "Internet doomsday" for PC and Mac users who haven't taken steps to make sure their systems are not infected with what's being called DNSChanger malware.

That's right: Your Internet connection may not work that day because the safety net now in place from the FBI against the malware will be removed then, and if your computer is infected, you won't be able to get to the Internet.

more at the link

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/...e-internet-doomsday-some-so-check-your-736963

It only takes a few seconds to check and if it's green, you're good. :)

I'm green...YAY. Considering all the issues I had about 8 months ago, I am just thrilled to know that things are "green" in my world.

And it takes NO time at all to check. Go to the link n/t gave, read the article, and click on the link...takes NO time at all to check, and it's good to know that you'll be "all right" come Monday.

Best-
Herding Cats

Last Chance to Check for Internet Doomsday Virus

Have you checked your computers for the “Internet Doomsday Virus”, also known as DNSChanger? You might want to do so before Monday when thousands could lose Internet access. The Federal Bureau of Investigation first gave details about the virus last November, when it announced the arrest of the malware’s authors. The virus, as its name indicates, affected computers’ abilities to correctly access the Internet’s DNS system — essentially, the Internet’s phone book. The virus would redirect Internet users to fake DNS servers, often sending them to fake sites or places that promoted fake products. Once the FBI shut down the operation, it built a safety net of new servers to redirect traffic from those infected with the virus. But that safety net is going offline Monday meaning that anyone who is still infected with the virus will lose access to the Internet unless they remove it from their machine.

http://masonwebtv.com/archives/6253

Will Alureon 'Internet Doomsday' virus cause net 'blackout' on Monday?

Though the US government limited the damage from the Alureon DNS changer malware attack last November by setting up temporary servers to fix infected machines, those servers are due to be shut down on Monday.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news...rnet-doomsday-virus-cause-net-blackout-monday

i read somewhere can't remember but only like 277,000 computers are actually infected.....that's a pretty small number

i read somewhere can't remember but only like 277,000 computers are actually infected.....that's a pretty small number

Yes, that is what the articles above state. Some say this is much ado about nothing. I say if we have the tools to check and it only takes a few seconds, why not check?

If people don't want to that's ok too.

Thanks, ~n/t~! I have checked my computer several time because I am constantly downloading something. You are right - it onlly takes a couple of seconds!

I'm still "green"!

Well, it is Monday morning, July 9, 2012, and my computer has not crashed!

Just popping in to say I am still here. Whew.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back