Man builds 450-foot replica Noah's Ark, prepares to set sail for London Olympics

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Dutch carpenter builds full-scale replica of Noah's Ark… and he plans to sail it up the Thames for the Olympics (Daily Mail)
A Dutch creationist is putting the finishing touches on a full-size replica of Noah's Ark, which he has built according to a blueprint set out in the Bible.

Johan Huibers spent three years and more than £1.03million constructing the gigantic wooden boat - and now has his sights set on sailing it up the Thames for the Olympics.
---
Um....any animals on "Johan's Ark"?
And though it may not be able to shelter two of every animal, as the original story dictates, it can hold 1,500 people - not to mention a menagerie of life-size plastic creatures including giraffes, elephants and donkeys, as well as a few live chickens.
---
much more, with pictures and a "How long was a cubit?" sidebar, at link above

I just don't know what to say! Good luck, Seaman Huiber!!!

What form of propulsion does it use? I don't see any sails and the windows are too few and too high to use for galley-type oars.

Seems like an important detail to leave out of the article. But since he already reinforced the wood with steel (entirely destroying any historical or engineering value along with any chance to prove that the description given in Genesis could have resulted in a seaworthy vessel), I suppose he could have added a motor and propeller as well.

I love people-I genuinely do. Hey if you have an itch, scratch it. If your itch is to sail on a replica of the Ark, more power to you.

What a great story!! :D

I hope he at least included a rudder.

ETA: You know, that entire article is really badly written. The builder had a dream that Holland was flooded? I think we all know that much of the Netherlands lies below sea level and behind dykes. There have been numerous floods there, including deliberate ones to foil and slow invaders.

So why would a dream that Holland was flooded inspire this guy to build an ark?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back