NY NY - Michael Kelly, 12, Queens, 14 Feb 1959

DevilsPlayThing

Reaction score
Am needing more information on this case. Michael Kelly aged 12 was abducted on 14 FEBRUARY 1959 on Ditmars. His body was found 10 weeks later in College Point. His murder remains unsolved. Astoria, Queens, New York area.

Ok - Just a few questions. What neighbourhood would have been considered the Ditmars in 1959. What would have been considered the community of College Point in 1959. What would have been the proximity to Hell Gate Bridge to College Point. Were any of these areas construction sites at the time. Was there a well in the vicinity. In the late 40s through the 60s would Jamaica Queens be considered within close vicinity to the Ditmars or College Point or The Hell Gate Bridge.

Maybe the story would have been covered as the Astorian website suggests by the American Journal newspaper which folded many years ago. There's paper copies held in a museum which can be viewed but not online unfortunately.

If a young person was found in a well or construction site in say late 1940s anytime in 1950s or late as 1960s - rough weather conditions. In such a way as to where if a person were to fall - they could not escape unassisted. Would this be classified as a homicide - or could it possibly have been classified as an accident. Not regarding this case - just Astoria cases regarding young persons in general. I need to know protocols regarding the 50s. Not what is done now. Any help so greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help. I really am not intent on being so vague. When I was very young a person told me about something that happened when they themself was possibly quite young. As he started out - it sounded like kids playing. But it ended up he not knowing the fate of his playmate and either running away from the place - or just simply walking home. Never summoning help for the playmate or whoever this person was. It was a boy or teenager possibly.

I can gather some details of where this may have occurred by knowing the general area the person who told me of the occurrence lived .

It is quite possible the boy survived the incident with injuries.

I was not yet born when the incident occurred - by decades - as I am no longer a child I try to now understand what was told to me. I want to know if the person is OK. Or if a family is looking for answers - or possibly more.

what did the candy store owner have to say????? Michael was last scene there--unless I read incorrectly----was he allowed to walk home in the dark by himself? Or was he an independent kid and would do so anyway---did he have to pass a bar on his route home or a sktchy bus stop or alley way?????

ANd iirc from I know of College Point there is alot of industrial like places there---there is now a BJ's Walbaums, large shopping area----and I think the NYT printing plant is there

Ok - Just a few questions. What neighbourhood would have been considered the Ditmars in 1959. What would have been considered the community of College Point in 1959. What would have been the proximity to Hell Gate Bridge to College Point. Were any of these areas construction sites at the time. Was there a well in the vicinity. In the late 40s through the 60s would Jamaica Queens be considered within close vicinity to the Ditmars or College Point or The Hell Gate Bridge.

Ditmars is considered Astoria and its on the other side of the water of College Point.. Jamaica is much further down in Queens.. You can probably get info on this through the Astoria Historical Society http://astorialic.org/

Am needing more information on this case. Michael Kelly aged 12 was abducted on 14 FEBRUARY 1959 on Ditmars. His body was found 10 weeks later in College Point. His murder remains unsolved. Astoria, Queens, New York area.
Michael Kelly was my brother’s friend. He was abducted by a man in a white car. He lived around the corner from the candy store where he had a part time job. This was in Astoria. Whomever took him, murdered him and dumped his body in the College Point area. There was most likely sexual assault and it probably couldn’t be determined because of decomposition. It’s speculated that he knew his abductor and that’s why he got in the car. It was snowing and may have been offered a ride not knowing that this person was a deviant. There was a suspect who lived close by and owned a white car. For some strange reason that wasn’t pursued.

what did the candy store owner have to say????? Michael was last scene there--unless I read incorrectly----was he allowed to walk home in the dark by himself? Or was he an independent kid and would do so anyway---did he have to pass a bar on his route home or a sktchy bus stop or alley way?????
Someone saw him get in a white car. It’s speculated that he knew this person and took what was supposed to be a short ride around the corner. It was winter and it wasn’t that late. Read my response to hot cawfee.

I came across another forum where they were discussing this case. It's not a crime forum. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link and do not want to violate any rules.
What is the other forum?

Ritad - I'm assuming the other forum was on Astorians.com, but that site is no longer. I've always been interested in this story. I grew up and still am on the Ditmars area.​

Someone saw him get in a white car. It’s speculated that he knew this person and took what was supposed to be a short ride around the corner. It was winter and it wasn’t that late. Read my response to hot cawfee.

Last edited:
Did he have a sister? I went out with a girl by that same last name. I believe her family owned a business on Ditmars. This was in 1960-61. Her name was Angela. I remember there was some sort of family tragedy, but she never spoke about it to me. btw-I lived in the old Metropolitan houses (The Mets)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emmachabada
Back