Town designates easy parking spots for women

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Town designates easy parking spots for women
Erin Anderssen
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Jul. 11 2012, 1:35 PM EDT

Sweetheart, have we got a parking spot for you – with lots of space and good lighting so you don’t run into anything.

In a cheeky foray into the perennial debate over which gender drives better, the German town of Triberg is now designating parking spots as male and female. The spots are marked with symbols denoting the two genders (similar to handicapped spots). The women get the easy ones. The men are steered toward the tighter, less convenient spots, with pillars and tight corners, because as Mayor Gallus Strobel says, they are more challenging. “As a rule,” he told a local German paper, translated by an article in Euronews, “men are a little better at such challenges.”...

[video=youtube;k7GhMF2VfM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GhMF2VfM8[/video]

lol, I resemble that remark!

Seriously, I am a pretty good parker but only from years of experience with dealing with downtown parking and traffic etc.

you know what they say, practice makes perfect.

IDK Steely....girl in red convertible was pretty brilliant. Wonder if it was some dude in the cut-off car :)

I get a good laugh watching those videos on youtube but in all fairness you can't even see whether the driver is male or female in half of these ones. I especially like the ones where people are trying to fit into impossibly tight parking spots & I actually took a video of someone in Europe somewhere in a really nice sports car squeezing into one of those spots with centimetres to spare.

lol, I resemble that remark!

Seriously, I am a pretty good parker but only from years of experience with dealing with downtown parking and traffic etc.

you know what they say, practice makes perfect.

Me too. I'm with Robin Meade who said sure it's sexist but I'll be glad to take the better spaces.

I hate parking at my pediatrician's office because of the way the pillars are. So annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a good laugh watching those videos on youtube but in all fairness you can't even see whether the driver is male or female in half of these ones. I especially like the ones where people are trying to fit into impossibly tight parking spots & I actually took a video of someone in Europe somewhere in a really nice sports car squeezing into one of those spots with centimetres to spare.

IDK Steely....girl in red convertible was pretty brilliant. Wonder if it was some dude in the cut-off car :)

You don't have to be able to see it. It's just obvious!!
animated-smileys-taunting-12.gif

:truce:

FWIW, my freind served in the army and spent a year in Saudi Arabia. He said they are the worst drivers he's ever seen, and he's from New Jersey. They have vast stretches of flat, straight, highways where you can go 100+mph, the driving age is only 14, and
women aren't allowed to drive.
For a good laugh, go to Youtube and type in "Saudi driving". Here's a sample:

[video=youtube;9grajOShXl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9grajOShXl8[/video]

FWIW, my freind served in the army and spent a year in Saudi Arabia. He said they are the worst drivers he's ever seen, and he's from New Jersey. They have vast stretches of flat, straight, highways where you can go 100+mph, the driving age is only 14, and
women aren't allowed to drive.
For a good laugh, go to Youtube and type in "Saudi driving". Here's a sample:

Crazy Motorway Drivers - Saudi Arabia - YouTube

Parts of that appear to be a stunt show.

I applaud this decision. North America needs to do more to protect and revere women.
As it stands, they've been equalized almost to the point of self-degradation.

I think it's important to look at statistics and facts. I'm sure Steely didn't intentionally leave out the link to the article but if anyone wants to read it, here it is.

Just some highlights.

Various studies and car insurance rates tell a different story, however, or at least a more nuanced one: Even considering that men log more kilometres than women, they still get into more serious accidents, and die more often on the road. Women have more minor fender benders, and are more likely to be involved in accidents because they were distracted. Men’s accidents are more often caused by taking unnecessary risks.

On the parking side of things, other research (and some well-placed surveillance cameras) have determined that women may actually do a better job. For a British study that came out this year, researchers monitored 2,500 drivers in 700 parking lots in Britain for one month. As the Telegraph explains, while women took longer to park, they were more likely to leave their cars in the middle of the spot. According to the article, they proved to be better at finding places and more accurate in lining up the car before backing in. Also, they were more likely to use parking strategies recommended by driving instructors. Men, on the other hand, were more skilled at driving forward into a parking spot, and less likely to fuss over how they were positioned. Overall, the study gave top parking marks to female drivers, though by a small margin.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-easy-parking-spots-for-women/article4406378/

IMO, this is sexist. Period. One step backwards for women who have fought for equal rights. It needs to stop.
:rant:

I applaud this decision. North America needs to do more to protect and revere women.
As it stands, they've been equalized almost to the point of self-degradation.

How does designating a parking spot for women protect us (women)?

I actually believe designated spots for women make it even more dangerous for perps to stalk women. They would know where a woman is parked and it's an open door (no pun intended) to commit an assault on a woman.

Perp lurks by, knows exactly where the woman would park because she has a designated spot, follows her and voila!

Stupid concept, imo. Wish they would save that money and open up more shelters for battered women. Better yet, get these criminals off our streets forever.

I actually believe designated spots for women make it even more dangerous for perps to stalk women. They would know where a woman is parked and it's an open door (no pun intended) to commit an assault on a woman.

Perp lurks by, knows exactly where the woman would park because she has a designated spot, follows her and voila!

Stupid concept, imo. Wish they would save that money and open up more shelters for battered women. Better yet, get these criminals off our streets forever.

It depends on where they are. If they are put in the safest areas of the parking lot then they are. It also makes it easier to patrol those areas. JMO

Really? That's not how it came across to me.

I'm pretty sure it's sarcasm. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back