NY Times: Paterno Won Sweeter Deal Even as Scandal Played Out

IzzyBlanche

Reaction score
I thought it could hardly get any worse.

But apparently it does.

JP didn't just cover up child rape, he attempted to profit from it when things started to get hot.

From the article:

Mr. Paterno was to be paid $3 million at the end of the 2011 season if he agreed it would be his last. Interest-free loans totaling $350,000 that the university had made to Mr. Paterno over the years would be forgiven as part of the retirement package. He would also have the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family to use over the next 25 years.

Mr. Paterno quickly issued a statement saying, in effect, that the board need not act, that he would resign at the end of the season. Neither he nor the university revealed that he had effectively agreed to do so already, in return for an expensive financial package.

At a board of trustees news conference Friday, Karen B. Peetz, the board’s chairwoman, made clear that the issue would not be revisited. “Contracts are contracts,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/s...id-jerry-sandusky-inquiry.html?pagewanted=all

$350K in interest free loans? WTH did he use those for?

JoPa and the Paterno family continue to show the world what is important to them the $$$$$$............we should believe them. The Freeh Report confirms this.

Our very own forum. Awesome. Thanks to whomever is responsible. :)

Here's my favorite part:

In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

The Paternos used nothing short of strong-armed tactics to get what that wanted. The BOT had to acquiesce to their demands or risk the danger of riots. Another example of lack of institutional control.

Our very own forum. Awesome. Thanks to whomever is responsible. :)

Here's my favorite part:

The Paternos used nothing short of strong-armed tactics to get what that wanted. The BOT had to acquiesce to their demands or risk the danger of riots. Another example of lack of institutional control.

Paterno's are making a grab for everything they can get before the onion is peeled completely and the BOT is completely new!

Paterno was a greedy hypocrite. How much did the BOT raise student fees and tuition to 'cover his azz?

Paterno was vile. His family is vile.

I didn't think they could look any worse. Ugh.

I guess the family wasn't happy with just the money-they wanted the use of the private jet to..Did they all coach PS to-JK

That statue of Paterno needs to come down.

Yes, that seems like a reasonable thing to do. I wonder, do you think at this time the statue is under guard from anyone or group that would do it harm now?

I have to say if I were on PSU campus now I might be taking the duct tape and blindfold to the statue and do a little decorating to Coach's mouth and eyes. And, of course I would use Websleuths Bail Service once I was arrested.

Websleuths does have a bail service for members, doesn't it?

Yes, that seems like a reasonable thing to do. I wonder, do you think at this time the statue is under guard from anyone or group that would do it harm now?

I have to say if I were on PSU campus now I might be taking the duct tape and blindfold to the statue and do a little decorating to Coach's mouth and eyes. And, of course I would use Websleuths Bail Service once I was arrested.

It is under guard. I don't have a link but I read it somewhere online yesterday.

PSU still showing its priorities.

Gets more disturbing. Looks bad for Joe Paterno.

Not that I have heard-but I would be the first to contribute to your release-LOL

Yeah look at how he supported victims of child abuse..... he walked away and let a child predator use PSU.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back