Deep Purple founder Jon Lord, 'Smoke on the Water' co-writer, dies at 71

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Deep Purple founder Jon Lord dies aged 71
English rocker Jon Lord, who founded Deep Purple and co-wrote their most famous song, Smoke On The Water, has died aged 71.

The Leicester-born keyboard player, who had pancreatic cancer, died in London on Monday.

A statement on his website said he had passed "from Darkness to Light", and that he was "surrounded by his loving family" when he died.
---
The heavy rockers sold more than 100m albums – many featuring Lord's classically inspired keyboards.
---
more, including a video, plus other links, here: Deep Purple founder Jon Lord dies aged 71 (Guardian)

Guardian's Jon Lord obituary: Organist who infused Deep Purple with class
-ical influences, helping to make them one of the world's biggest rock bands
---
Born in Leicester, Lord studied classical piano from the age of five. In his teens, the then-new rock'n'roll and R&B movements made a deep impression on him, in particular the music recorded by blues pianists and organists such as Jimmy McGriff and Jerry Lee Lewis. The contemporary combination of Hammond B3 and C3 organs with Leslie speakers appealed to him, and this became an instrumental setup that remained integral to Lord's signature keyboard style for the rest of his career.
---
much more at the link

Oh how sad, another talent lost. My show is becoming so morbid with all these deaths. It seems every week I have to announce a new one. I will always love your music and you will live forever through your music.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back