Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
046082-pn-corryn-rayney.jpg

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/07/05/1226418/046082-pn-corryn-rayney.jpg

FORMER State prosecutor turned barrister Lloyd Rayney murdered his estranged wife Corryn in the family home while their youngest daughter slept upstairs and their eldest was out at a concert, the Supreme Court was told.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/was-trial-of-the-century/story-fndo486p-1226426881342

Thanks Kimster! This case has really piqued my interest, and just at the right time too, as the case is starting to be tried.

It's really giving me a feel for the Baden-Clay case. So much mainly circumstantial evidence. So much motive though. And the prosecution holding back info to the public til the trial.

Beats me how he wrangled bail and a judge-only trial!

I am struggling to understand why LR was granted bail in this case, compared for example to GBC in Brisbane. Does anybody have any information to explain that?

Also, while on bail, has LR been able to keep practicing law? Does anybody know?

JMO MOO

Thanks Kimster! This case has really piques my interest, and just at the right time too, as the case is starting to be tried.

It's really giving me a feel for the Baden-Clay case. So much mainly circumstantial evidence. So much motive though. And the prosecution holding back info to the public til the trial.

Beats me how he wrangled bail and a judge-only trial!

As per my own post, no idea about the bail, however as both he and his wife were known to the entire legal community in WA due to their own careers, I guess an outsider had to try the case, and perhaps shipping in 12 members of a jury from another state for who knows how long, was just too difficult logistically?

:waitasec:

JMO MOO

You'd think that as a barrister he'd either be smarter about how he did it or he'd know the consequences and not go there... It defies belief really!!
I've really not heard that much about it, but I'll be interested to follow this thread.

You'd think that as a barrister he'd either be smarter about how he did it or he'd know the consequences and not go there... It defies belief really!!
I've really not heard that much about it, but I'll be interested to follow this thread.

Perhaps a guest would like to join the forum?

Having trouble keeping this one going single handed right now (that's what the system is telling me anyway lol)

:floorlaugh:

Jmo

I'm coming in and out Gemini.

I think the bits about the placecard and the bollard are amazing! I always thought it was rather fantastic when a perp dropped something or left a bit of something at the crimescene, but apparently not!

This guy obviously thought it was something he could get away with, if he did it.

I'll do some reading in the next few days and get up to speed Gemini :D do you have any really good links?

I'm coming in and out Gemini.

I think the bits about the placecard and the bollard are amazing! I always thought it was rather fantastic when a perp dropped something or left a bit of something at the crimescene, but apparently not!

This guy obviously thought it was something he could get away with, if he did it.

Even more staggering was that he left her boots in her car. Boots that had evidence of her having been dragged across the yard of the house post mortem. So presumably he removed them prior to burying her, but did not get rid of them.

For a barrister, not too bright methinks.

If he did it (and the evidence looks pretty damning)

:jail:

JMO MOO

THe graphic of how Corryn was buried in that first link really freaks me out!!

I have been gripped by this case and glued to twitter for the last 3 days waiting for updates. The prosecutions case although circumstantial will, I believe, be quite compelling.

I cannot believe that a place card with his name on it was found just 100m from the body. May as well had a tattoo etched on his face saying 'I killed my wife".

He allegedly made 2 calls to his eldest daughter between 10.15 and 10.30 to find what time she would be coming home from a concert. She was due home at 10.45 pm but he did not wait up another 15 mins for her. It would also seem he was not concerned about where Corryn was, despite knowing she would normally arrive home at 9.45pm and then not being concerned about her not being at home in the morning - apparently she never went to work early.

Lying about his alarm not working and which car he drove to a dinner party in, could be his downfall. Plus bugging the home phone and removing the bug two days before she vanished was very suspicious.

The motive for her death was clearly not sexual or theft. I have thought about the fact Corryn may have been killed as a result of a personal vendetta against her husband and things done to set him up but how would they have managed to get hold of that place card? Why would the killer have buried her so deeply? Did the police find any other suspicious DNA in her car? It would be virtually impossible to commit a crime like that and not leave some DNA in the vehicle.

I really do believe after hearing more facts that Lloyd Rayney did murder his wife. What I hate is his smug look and that he seems so confident that he is not going to jail. I also hate the fact that his daughters are thoroughly convinced of his innocence. I cannot help but wonder how much they knew of his affairs and his gambling problems. Clearly they are not inside the court room hearing the evidence as they are witnesses but I wonder if they are reading what has been disclosed in the press.

Even more staggering was that he left her boots in her car. Boots that had evidence of her having been dragged across the yard of the house post mortem. So presumably he removed them prior to burying her, but did not get rid of them.

JMO MOO[/QUOTE

Also the hanky that was found under her head in the grave which contained DNA consistent with Lloyds. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-prior-to-murder/story-fndo2j1f-1226427519292

JMO MOO[/QUOTE

Also the hanky that was found under her head in the grave which contained DNA consistent with Lloyds. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-prior-to-murder/story-fndo2j1f-1226427519292

I think the killer intended to take the car back to Bentley and plant her boots To deflect away from where her body was buried. Suggestion of fowl play but no corpse. I think he was trying to commit the perfect crime and got caught out!! IMO

Yes, after three years this man finally goes to trial! If I get a day off next week I would like to attend the court proceedings as a member of the public.

Another press report:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-17/court-told-mrs-rayney-dragged-across-yard/4136056

An excerpt:
"The prosecution told the court the marriage had broken down, and almost a month before the murder, Rayney told a former colleague he hated his wife.

The colleague is expected to testify it was said in a serious way.

"A snake and a wicked man who slept around for many years."
Corryn Rayney describing her husband
Prosecutors say Mrs Rayney described her husband as a snake and a wicked man who had slept around behind her back for many years.

The prosecution alleges the barrister had previously had an affair with a former colleague and was a chronic gambler who had lost tens of thousands of dollars."

Another excerpt:
"Lying alleged
The court was told the barrister lied about using his wife's car to attend a work function.

It heard a dinner place card with Rayney's name on it, from a Law Chamber event he attended with colleagues, was found in Kings Park after she disappeared but before her body was discovered.

The prosecution said almost a year later, Rayney told a colleague he had driven to the dinner in his wife's car.

The court was told witnesses would testify they had received a lift home from the event with Rayney in his car, not his wife's.

It is the prosecution's case he lied to try to cover up his guilt."

"No Trust Between Couple"
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14247703/no-trust-between-couple-prosecutor/

Basically this article says Corinne was putting intense pressure on Lloyd to end the marriage on her terms.

"He was under threat that his wife's lawyers would subpoena evidence of his fees if he did not provide them."

She felt he had been cheating on her both sexually and financially and the night she disappeared she had been planning to meet Lloyd to receive his financial documents and arrange for him to move out of the family home.

An excerpt from the article:
"...during a conversation with friend Shana Russell earlier that evening, Mrs Rayney "appeared optimistic about the meeting and that the accused had agreed to provide the financial records". He said that she had told her lawyer that the "use of the word 'subpoena' seemed to have an effect on her husband and she wanted to see what transpired" at the planned meeting.

Mr Agius said that belief that Mrs Rayney went home from her bootscooting class to meet Mr Rayney and that he killed her that evening, was one of the "building blocks" of the prosecution case.

He said that another building block was that whoever killed Mrs Rayney went to significant effort to hide the body.

"No one else would have gone to the trouble of killing her and hiding the body," he said.

"He had a motive to kill."

Mr Agius said Mrs Rayney had "no enemies that the evidence will reveal".

Caitlyn (daughter) Could Be Quizzed At Trial.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14257953/caitlyn-could-be-quizzed-at-trial-by-qc/

Briefly, this article states that one of Caitlyn's friends told police that Caitlyn was upset when her mother wasn't at home in the morning when she woke up and she (Caitlyn) had suggested to Lloyd that he call police. The friend said that Caitlyn said she thought he'd done so.

An excerpt:
Mr Agius submitted that even though it was not direct evidence, he had a "reasonable expectation" that Caitlyn, who has not given a statement to police, would back up that assertion in her evidence.

He said he would lead evidence from her friend "only if Caitlyn did not give the evidence in order to seek permission to have Caitlyn Rayney cross-examined".

Caitlyn and her 15-year-old sister Sarah again flanked their father yesterday as they arrived in court.

Their presence is a clear sign of support for their father as the teenagers, who will both be called as prosecution witnesses, are not allowed to be in court to listen to the evidence until after they have taken the stand."

Caitlyn (daughter) Could Be Quizzed At Trial.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14257953/caitlyn-could-be-quizzed-at-trial-by-qc/

Briefly, this article states that one of Caitlyn's friends told police that Caitlyn was upset when her mother wasn't at home in the morning when she woke up and she (Caitlyn) had suggested to Lloyd that he call police. The friend said that Caitlyn said she thought he'd done so.

An excerpt:
Mr Agius submitted that even though it was not direct evidence, he had a "reasonable expectation" that Caitlyn, who has not given a statement to police, would back up that assertion in her evidence.

He said he would lead evidence from her friend "only if Caitlyn did not give the evidence in order to seek permission to have Caitlyn Rayney cross-examined".

Caitlyn and her 15-year-old sister Sarah again flanked their father yesterday as they arrived in court.

Their presence is a clear sign of support for their father as the teenagers, who will both be called as prosecution witnesses, are not allowed to be in court to listen to the evidence until after they have taken the stand."

How sad, and now that they are hearing the evidence (albeit circumstantial but still very damning) it must be even harder for them.:notgood:

Accused's 'Many Lies' to Cover His Tracks

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14257940/accuseds-many-lies-to-cover-his-tracks/

Some of the many lies it is alleged Lloyd Rainey told police:-

*Explaining the place card bearing his name at the gravesite:- He told a colleague that he had driven to the chambers dinner (where he received the place card) in his wife's car. However, two other colleagues would testify that they caught a lift home from the dinner in a car similar to Mr Rainey's not his wife's. Mr Rainey explained the place card to colleagues by claiming he was being deliberately 'set up'.

*Mr Rainey insinuated his wife had a mental illness, even though she had no such medical history. He also claimed Mrs Rainey's divorce lawyer had told him he should 'check the Perth Clinic in case Corryn had had a mental breakdown". Yet the divorce lawyer denies she ever said this to the accused.

*He sent a 'self-serving' email on the morning after Mrs Rayney was allegedly murdered claiming to not know where she was. "I didn't know why you left for work early and neither did the girls," he wrote. Prosecutor Mr Agius said there was evidence Mrs Rayney never went to work early and here husband knew she would not have.

*Mrs Rayney was found buried with a handkerchief under her head. Police questioned Mr Rayney and his daughters as to whether it might belong to Mrs Rayney. Both girls replied at once that their mother 'hated them' (handkerchiefs). Mr Rayney then went into the bedroom and brought out some handkerchiefs. He also reiterated that his wife used handkerchiefs when questioned again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back