The torturous, winding path of 'Victim 1'

BigCat

Reaction score
This story is just heartbreaking

The torturous, winding path of 'Victim 1'

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-09/victim-1-sandusky-witness/56278226/1

Tense encounters with fellow students after the release of the graphic grand jury report led to the victim's transfer midway through the school year.

Gillum said the move became necessary after some students, angered that the allegations would taint Penn State and the reign of legendary coach Joe Paterno, began making physical threats against his young client.

The timing of the move meant he would be preparing to graduate from a new high school and testify against the former Penn State icon at the same time.

All the victims have been very brave testifying against their abuser, but Victim 1 in particular is a hero. If he hadn't come forward Sandusky would still be preying on other children and the great and good at Penn State would still be making like the three wise monkeys.

Someone should erect a statue to Victim #1 - only like all true heroes, he probably wouldn't want the attention.

I think this is as good a place as any to address the many requests we have had for victim-specific threads.

We desire at all times to protect the victims of crimes.

In general, it is the WS way to protect victims' identities, and not to sleuth them in any way.

In the instance of this thread, we have MSM supporting a closer look at a victim.

We are still considering threads for other victims, "#2" especially.

Please know that we are trying to balance the natural WSer's desire to sleuth with the fact that some victims from the JS trial are still unidentified.

We hear your call to check out things that raise your sleuthing hackles. And we trust that you will keep up the good sleuthing on other available topics in the meantime.

And hey, we really really like you. :grouphug:

Agree about Victim 1 being a hero and leader in getting the investigation started. He and his mother showed great strength to follow through with the case and trial to make JS accountable for what he did to all the boys. I hope knowing that JS was convicted of all the charges for his own abuse will help him feel validated and give him some peace of mind and confidence in going forward with his life.

Victim One in Sandusky sex abuse case to grant first interview to ABC to coincide with tell-all book release

Victim One, an 18-year-old who took the stand against Jerry Sandusky, will release a tell-all book next month describing their horrific experiences with the convicted child molester.

In addition, Victim 1 will grant their first interview to ABC, to be aired in synch with the book’s release, though it is unclear which personality at the network will interview him..............

Page Six exclusively confirmed Victim 1’s plans to grant his first interview to ABC to coincide with his book release.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ABC-coincide-book-release.html#ixzz26wpPkAbX

DM and Page 6 so I'm not sure...but here it is.....

Penn State scandal victim’s book to be out Oct. 23

http://www.sungazette.com/page/cont...victim-s-book-to-be-out-Oct--23.html?nav=5011

..............Ballantine Bantam Dell said that "Silent No More: Victim #1's Fight for Justice Against Jerry Sandusky," is coming out Oct. 23. The memoir will be co-written by the victim's mother and psychologist and "will share how he survived years of shame and secrecy, harassment and accusation, before reporting Sandusky's actions to the authorities, and will offer a hopeful and inspiring message for victims of abuse," Ballantine announced.

Victim 1, now 18, will reveal his identity on the day of the book's release in an interview with ABC's Chris Cuomo..............

...........The exclusive interview will be featured across ABC News broadcasts and platforms beginning Tuesday, October 23, including Tuesday evening on “ABC World News” (6:30 p.m., ET) and “Nightline” (11:35 p.m., ET), as well as Wednesday, October 24 on “Good Morning America” (7:00-9:00 a.m., ET). Cuomo will appear on “Katie,” Katie Couric's new syndicated daytime talk show, Tuesday, October 23 with a special first look at the interview (http://www.katiecouric.com/station-finder" check local listings).

- See more at: http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article...x-Abuse-Scandal-20120927#sthash.t7X2wCwj.dpuf

Sandusky Victim 1 Steps Out of Shadows, Says Justice Took Too Long
http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandusky-v...y-justice-long/story?id=17511612#.UIIM50bbgZQ

"Aaron was melting down in the office," Daniels said. "I immediately told them we need to call the police."

But the mother and son say they were shocked by the principal's response.

"They said that Jerry has a heart of gold and that he wouldn't do those type of things," Daniels said "They tell me to go home and think about it."

Sandusky was interviewed by CYS but he laughed off the allegations, painting Fisher as a troubled kid, Gillum said.

The level of complicity is disgusting from Penn State to Central Mountain High School. There are many complicit people from Joe Paterno, Tim Curley, Graham Spanier, Gary Schultz, Steve Turchetta, and Karen Probst.

Watched the ABC interview with Hero #1.

What a brave young man. It breaks your heart to think what he and his mother were put through.

How can those school administrators live with themselves and why are they still employed in the school district? They were mandatory reporters and did NOTHING!

I really wish they were removed from their positions and charged.

Was anyone else disappointed in the 20/20 interview? They seemed to me to be only out to smear the school administrators. I agree the administrators dropped the ball, but I was embarrassed for the interviewer chasing the principal down the sidewalk. They obviously knew they weren't going to get an interview, but I guess that kind of journalism always bothers me.
They also didn't even bring up the fact that Victim #1 had to leave the school because the reaction to his story was so bad. Why wasn't that part in the interview?
It just seemed to me that they could have done a better job.
Kudos to Victim #1 still putting himself out there and standing up for what is right!
I hope this helps him get through this.
jmo

Caseworker who triggered Sandusky investigation honored

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/10/...-sandusky.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

............Jessica Dershem, a caseworker for Clinton County’s Children and Youth Services, spent an hour interviewing Fisher in November 2008 after the mother became frustrated with school officials’ hesitance to report Sandusky to authorities. She was the first to believe in Fisher, and that is what triggered the initial investigation into abuse allegations against Sandusky.........

Dershem was honored at the Clinton County commissioners meeting this morning and recognized by CYS Director Gerald Rosamilia.............

People in the Lock Haven community are planning a rally Saturday morning at Central Mountain High School to demand answers from school officials in their handling over Fisher’s abuse allegations.

Our Soonerfan#1 has passed away :rose: There is a Condolence thread down in the Jury Room.

This article about Aaron's book really takes a very critical look at now-Governor Corbett's mishandling of the Sandusky scandal. A detailed timeline shows just what wasn't happening for several years and several grand juries.

”Silent No More” begins as Fisher’s first-hand, if sketchy, account of his long-running abuse at the hands of former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky.
But the book quickly evolves into a very detailed account of Fisher’s neglect at the hands of self-aggrandizing Pennsylvania officials, most notably Pennsylvania Attorney General (and now Governor) Tom Corbett.

http://newslanc.com/2012/11/12/sile...e-of-abuse-by-jerry-sandusky-and-tom-corbett/

Some of that, the switches in investigators, for example, is fairly common. Madeira turning this over to the AG's Office was due to a legitimate conflict of interest. His wife's brother was one of Sandusky's adopted sons. That only came out after a great deal of pressure (some of it from me). Even though I have been a harsh critic of Madeira, I've said that here, he did the right thing.

If they didn't have enough, initially, that could explain why there was nothing until 2010. It is clear that they didn't know about McQueary until October or November of 2010.

Some of that, the switches in investigators, for example, is fairly common. Madeira turning this over to the AG's Office was due to a legitimate conflict of interest. His wife's brother was one of Sandusky's adopted sons. That only came out after a great deal of pressure (some of it from me). Even though I have been a harsh critic of Madeira, I've said that here, he did the right thing.

If they didn't have enough, initially, that could explain why there was nothing until 2010. It is clear that they didn't know about McQueary until October or November of 2010.

But truth be told, that has no bearing on Sandusky's abuse of Victim 1. That was the break that opened the door to numerous victims, but I can't understand why it took until Feb. 2010 to even subpoena Second Mile records.

And in fairness, I have dealt with several abuse investigations that went to trial, and none of them required going to the state level and looking to a grand jury to indict. Madeira may have been right to recuse himself from the matter, but there were others in the Centre County DA's office that could have taken point in the case.

It almost seems, as occurred in 1998, nobody from Centre County wanted to touch this one. Madeira's office knew about 98, and they had to know at this point that they were dealing with a habitual offender. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the better direction would have been to bring charges for Victim 1, go to trial, and then pursue additional charges if warranted.

And in fairness, I have dealt with several abuse investigations that went to trial, and none of them required going to the state level and looking to a grand jury to indict. Madeira may have been right to recuse himself from the matter, but there were others in the Centre County DA's office that could have taken point in the case.

Madeira was the guy in charge. He would have to supervise anyone that was prosecuting. Also, he didn't have a detective.

It almost seems, as occurred in 1998, nobody from Centre County wanted to touch this one. Madeira's office knew about 98, and they had to know at this point that they were dealing with a habitual offender. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the better direction would have been to bring charges for Victim 1, go to trial, and then pursue additional charges if warranted.

I'm not so sure about if Madeira knew about 1998. Arnold was not there in 2008. It is possible that someone there did know about it, but unless Madeira called everyone in and asked, "Anyone remember if there was ever a problem with Jerry Sandusky," he wouldn't know. He has said the first time he heard about it was in the 2011 presentment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back