CA CA - Devore, WhtFem Skeletal UP2583, 25-45, on Cajon Pass hillside, Oct'87

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 2583 https://identifyus.org/cases/2583

Unidentified White Female
Found on October 01, 1987, 150 ft down an embankment, about 1/2 mile South of Kenwood, West of Old Cajon Blvd. in Devore (San Bernadino County) CA 92407.

Vital Stats:
Age 25 - 45 years
Height: 60 inches (5 Feet 0 inches), Estimated

Clothing & Accessories:
Blue denim pants ("Lee Riders"), Multicolored striped T-shirt with knit white collar (Label: "Erika"), gray-white ankle-length stocking with two maroon trim stripes. Navy blue long-sleeve knit sweater (heavy). Size Medium. Label: "F.L. Collection - Made in Republic of Maldives". Gray/white shoes with lavender strip (Label: "Niki")

Body condition:
Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death 1985 to 1987
Estimated postmortem interval 1 Year

Identifiers:
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available - nucDNA - CA DOJ-DNA MPDP and CODIS (NDIS)
Fingerprints: Not Available

Circumstances:
Found on hillside, 150 feet down embankment, one-half mile south of Kenwood, west of Old Cajon Blvd., Devore

Devore / Cajon Pass is the first unpopulated area that you get to when leaving the Inland Empire (E. LA County/W. San Bernadino County) toward Las Vegas.

Although the body was found adjacent to the Southbound side of I-15, I suspect that this was a location of convenience for someone who got there heading Northbound from the Inland Empire.

Donna Loraine Croce fits quite well to the limited info available on this Jane Doe.

croce_donna.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/croce_donna.html

She doesn't have a NamUs MP Casefile, so she might not be on their radar.

She came from Whittier, which is about a 45-minute drive from Devore. (The normal flow of traffic is about 75 mph in those parts.) If I was in Whittier and looking for the closest dumping ground, Devore would be high on my list.

The timeline is right-on, and her height (4'10") is pretty close to the 5'0" estimate of the skeletal remains.

:eek:fftopic:
When I think of Devore, I think of the 1983 Us Festival, (i.e., a three-day music festival organized by Apple Computer pioneer Steve Wozniak, as a means of showcasing his line of Apple Computers). I was there. What a chaotic mass of humanity that was (LOL)

This UID has a cap on her #10 (upper left lateral incisor).

According to Charley Project, Cynthia Lynn Maine has a cap on one of her upper front teeth.

maine_cynthia.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/maine_cynthia.html

And her height, age, and timeframe all fit too.

ETA: I submitted this one via e-mail to David Van Norman

Van Norman replied indicating that there were numerous irreconcilable differences in their dentals, so this Jane Doe is not Cynthia Lynn Maine.

But if Cynthia Maine comes up as a possible elsewhere, we now know that she had "numerous" fillings.

Mary Jill Adams might also fit this Doe.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/adams_mary.html

Mary Jill Adams

Report Type: Unknown Circumstances
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Red
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 4 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 107 lbs.
Date of Birth: 9/2/1946
Dental X-rays Available: No

Mary was last seen on April 18, 1986, in West Hollywood.

I just spoke with Det. Fisher of the Whittier PD. I had created a NamUs MP casefile for Donna Croce over a year ago, but it wasn't published.

I suggested that she contact Donna Southerland to have the casefile published, and to ask that she arrange for a comparison of Donna Croce to UP2583.

Exclusions now listed on NamUs:

• Linne Marie Dominelli
  • Linda Grimm
  • Ella Beth Lodermeier
  • Sandra Lowe
  • Cynthia Maine
  • Cindy Mellin

Mary Jill Adams might also fit this Doe.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/adams_mary.html

Mary Jill Adams

Report Type: Unknown Circumstances
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Red
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 4 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 107 lbs.
Date of Birth: 9/2/1946
Dental X-rays Available: No

Mary was last seen on April 18, 1986, in West Hollywood.

Seems like a possibility based on height (shorter than average) and location, did anyone submit?

"Body Found Near Devore," Needles Desert Star, 4 November 1987, D1.
Body Found Near Devore_.jpg
The body was discovered on the afternoon of October 1 off a steep hillside west of Interstate 15, approximately one mile south of the Kenwood Ave. offramp. The area is readily accessible for travelers in that area.

Private surveyors located the skeletal remains while working in the area shortly after they had completed their noon break.

Members of Sgt. Bill Arthur's homicide detail squad responded and conducted a death investigation, but are stymied until they learn the identity of the woman.

Detective Gerrit Tesselaar, a member of the investigation team, reports that the woman's age could range from 23 to 35; she had expensive dental work; was wearing a dark-blue wool sweater which was medium size and long-sleeved; had a light pullover short-sleeve shirt with small horizontal red/green/blue stripes; Lee brand blue jeans with a 24-26 waist and an inseam of 26-28; a pair of white Nike shoes with a lavender stripe and trim, size 6 1/2 - 7; and gray socks with a maroon stripe.

It seems like she is middle to upper middle class, based on the name brand clothing and expensive dental work…

The last exclusion list posted had 6 but now it only lists 5 (Cynthia Maine is listed four times). Sandra Lowe is no longer listed but still remains missing.DFC3B8F1-574D-49E9-A212-78040A8E7012.jpeg

Joyce Irene Walcott
  • joyce_irene_walcott_1.jpg
Walcott, circa 1986

• Missing Since04/29/1986
  • Missing From: Reseda, California
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth01/05/1967 (52)
  • Age19 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 106 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue and white striped short-sleeved cotton pullover shirt, blue Sol Levi's jeans, a white belt, white sneakers with turquoise stripes, a yellow metal women's LCD Timex watch, and a yellow metal necklace with a unicorn charm.

• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Auburn hair, brown eyes. Walcott has a surgical scar on the back of her neck and scars on the lower right portion of her abdomen, her left buttock and her thigh. Her nickname is Sneezie. She previously had a separation between her skull and her spine; it may have been a birth defect. It was surgically corrected in 1985; a bone from another part of her body was implanted in her neck.
Details of Disappearance
Walcott moved to Reseda, California in 1985 from her family's home in Farmington, New Mexico. She planned to finish her senior year at Reseda High School and lived with her aunt and her cousin on Sherman Way.

Walcott was injured in two automobile accidents during the year and had to wear a neck brace afterwards. She found the brace made it difficult to sit through classes and stayed home to recover from her injuries.

She began feeling well enough to search for a job as a cashier during the spring of 1986. She left her aunt's apartment on April 29, carrying her birth certificate and several job applications. Walcott dropped an application off at the 7-11 convenience store on Sherman Way during the late morning hours.

She met two friends at Winchell's Donuts next door and departed shortly after 12:00 p.m. Walcott told her friends she wanted to drop off an application at Sav-On Drugs in the shopping center near Etiwanda Avenue and Sherman Way. She turned the corner and disappeared.

Walcott has never been heard from again. The manager of Sav-On Drugs told authorities that she never arrived at the business.

Her family stated that it is extremely uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning, and she left all her clothes and belongings behind. Extensive searches of the area produced no clues as to her whereabouts. Walcott's case remains unsolved.

The shoes and pullover have made me submit Joyce as a possible match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back