Fires on the Rosebud reservation forced the evacuation of 50 homes

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Fires on the Rosebud reservation forced the evacuation of 50 homes Saturday as the Myrtle fire near Pringle spread.

The Longhorn Complex on the Rosebud reservation began as four separate fires caused by lightning Thursday night. It merged into two fires Saturday: the Beads Creek fire, estimated at 6,093 acres, and the Longhorn fire, estimated at 1,443 acres, according to a news release from fire information officers. The fire was 21 percent contained Saturday evening.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/my...cle_7f46e849-4a9c-5abb-b667-da01df26aa6b.html

Sad when people who have so little are losing that. :(

So many fires this summer... Wishing rain for all areas affected!

So many fires this summer... Wishing rain for all areas affected!

We have had 95 to 105 degree temps for all of July except for maybe 1 day. It will be that way for at least another week. We get a quick thunderstorm but the lightening starts fires. The lawns are brown and I'm watering the garden 3 times a day to save it. We need lots of rain in SD, it has been dry, with little rain, since April.

I'm kinda used to fires, considering that my area burns frequently and fast.

But I'm hearing about fires in so many different, and unusual places, and so many of them.

I am keeping all in my prayers...

Best-
Herding Cats

Rosebud fire

500cd22247c86.preview-620.jpg

Hot, dry and windy conditions Sunday made fighting the fires on the Rosebud Indian Reservation a battle.

"It’s extreme weather conditions with extreme fire behavior," said Beth Hermanson, fire information officer for the Longhorn Complex.

The 17,914-acre Longhorn Complex near St. Francis initially began as four separate lightning-caused fires that merged into two fires, the Beads Creek Fire and the Longhorn Fire. Lightning started the third fire, the Iron Shell Fire, Saturday afternoon.

By Sunday night, the Beads Creek Fire was estimated at 6,093 acres, the Longhorn Fire was at 1,443 acres and the Iron Shell Fire had burned 10,466 acres, according to a news release from the Rocky Mountain Area Incident Management Team. Containment for the complex of fires is now at 25 percent.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/co...cle_2e06b4b2-f324-5220-86d3-07b708a47126.html

Jacie, I am so very sorry for the fire situation there, it is destructive on so many levels it is hard to comprehend, but I too understand. Our family here in California have been evacuated on two separate occasions and although their homes were saved many of their neighbors weren't... the animals are so badly impacted as well. Our family in New Mexico have been evacuated on two occasions as well, and the devastation to their once beautiful little mountain town is just heart breaking. Forests hundreds of years old decimated in a matter of almost hours- it will never look the same, at least not in our lifetime. I pray for some rain and relief from the draught and fires... I pray for the animals, birds, and people~ Frigga

Jacie, I am so very sorry for the fire situation there, it is destructive on so many levels it is hard to comprehend, but I too understand. Our family here in California have been evacuated on two separate occasions and although their homes were saved many of their neighbors weren't... the animals are so badly impacted as well. Our family in New Mexico have been evacuated on two occasions as well, and the devastation to their once beautiful little mountain town is just heart breaking. Forests hundreds of years old decimated in a matter of almost hours- it will never look the same, at least not in our lifetime. I pray for some rain and relief from the draught and fires... I pray for the animals, birds, and people~ Frigga

This has been a bad summer, firewise, in so many parts of the country. We need rain, not a flood but enough rain to stop the burning.

I am so thankful that my part of Texas is out of the drought. I have woods very close to my house and have been worried about wildfires since last summer when the fires were being started one after another.

Crossing my fingers again this afternoon - we have a severe thunderstorm warning, again, hoping this time it doesn't fizzle out and just drop a couple of sprinkles. :rolleyes:

Everything here is dead or dying. No fires, thank goodness, but sad to see so much of the vegetation drying up.

Wishing rain for everyone needing it!!

Bleh, 5 mins of rain. Sun came back out immediately, still hot and humid as heck. How can the air be this humid and the ground so dry?!

Hope they are making progress with the fires out there, Jacie. :rose:

Bleh, 5 mins of rain. Sun came back out immediately, still hot and humid as heck. How can the air be this humid and the ground so dry?!

Hope they are making progress with the fires out there, Jacie. :rose:

Same thing here, rain for 5 mins and then hot and humid but the grasses/lawns are brown. It's been quiet here in the Black Hills but I just heard lots of sirens and now there is a smoke smell in the air. The worse thing is the thunderstorms, the lightening catches fires.

Today's report:

A thunderstorm crashing over the Longhorn Complex on Sunday night gave firefighters double the fire to battle on Monday.

The fires burning on the Rosebud Indian Reservation had grown to 38,976 total acres by Monday evening, with 25 percent containment, according to Beth Hermanson, fire information officer for the Rocky Mountain Area Incident Management Team.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/st...cle_d5117201-29be-5587-ad51-aafbf2f79572.html

Fire info

Federal, state and local volunteer fire departments responded to reports of five new fires as of 8 p.m. Monday.

North Horse Fire

Size: 22.5 acres

Cause: Lightning

Containment: 100%

Rattle Snake Fire

Location: 3 miles southeast of Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Size: 1.5 acres

Containment: Estimated 100 percent by 10 p.m. Monday

Resources: 52 fire personnel, one air attack platform, five engines, one hand crew, one dozer, two helicopters, one air tanker

Sohlt Fire

Size: 2 acres

Containment: 100 percent

Crowley Fire

Size: 0.1 acre

Containment: 100 percent

Deer Fire

Size: Unknown

Containment: Unknown

Green Canyon Fire

Location: On private land, south of the boat ramp on the west shore of Angostura Reservoir

Size: 0.1 acres

Containment: Unknown

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/st...cle_d5117201-29be-5587-ad51-aafbf2f79572.html

Dozens still displaced from Rosebud fires

Firefighters continued to battle the massive Longhorn Complex fire on the Rosebud Reservation as other fire crews brought the Myrtle fire near Pringle under control Tuesday evening.

Firefighters had the 42,930 acre Longhorn fire on the Rosebud 70 percent contained by Tuesday night. The Myrtle fire was 100 percent contained and several small lightning-strike fires scattered through the Black Hills had also been contained.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/do...cle_b779c822-dcac-5388-9270-8aa402c1bb49.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back