What Does Blog Mean?????

Misty-Waves

Reaction score
Woooooo---took me a while to ask, but hey, I'm from a distant generation & just can't figute it out! There, I said it. I kind of get the gist, but wanna hear from YOU!
Misty---waiting

It's sort of a contraction without the apostrophe. Blog is a shortened form of Web log, which is basically an online journal.

To learn more about "blogging" and even set up your own blog, go to:

www.blogger.com

Hope this helps.

Jim

Misty-Waves said:
Woooooo---took me a while to ask, but hey, I'm from a distant generation & just can't figute it out! There, I said it. I kind of get the gist, but wanna hear from YOU!
Misty---waiting
From "web log" hence B-log, blog. A chronilogical, up to date, e-journal. They were very popular at one point. Less now, but still very common.

I don't personally get a kick out of reading other peoples blogs unless there is something like a scientific point to it. I don't give a hoot what time Sally had her coffee and put on her lipstick but was interrupted from making lunch when a package arrived-kinda stuff.

Your right, Fran. The whole "blogging" phenomenon reminds me of when home video cameras became popular. It used to be when you shot home movies on film (ok, I'm showing my age), you could only afford to shoot in 3-5 minute clips. Even if you spliced everything together, most home movie projectors wouldn't hold more than 10-20 minutes. Thus when relatives and friends came over, you could only show them 10-20 minutes of incredibly boring footage--and it was usually silent. But when camcorders became the rage, you could show them hours and hours of incredibly boring footage--WITH SOUND!

Same thing with the blogs. In the early days of the Internet, it took a fair amount of effort to put together a Web page. Even with Web authoring "WYSIWYG" software, it was still no picnic. Thus, people chose their words carefully and didn't just go on and on. With blogging, posting to your own Web site (or a blogging site) is as easy as sending an email. So, instead of short paragraphs and carefully chosen words, you now get volumes of material that you must wade through to get to the information you're interested in.

Some people love blogs and blogging. I prefer the silent film days.

Jim
Author of: How to Do Everything with HTML & XHTML

Many thanks! I believe your explanations are far more interesting than any Blog's I may run into. No wonder I waited so long to ask---guess I intuiively knew!
Thanks Fran & Jim.
Misty

This makes me laugh!! Ihave never understood Blog and still do not!

I just laugh at myself and try to pretend to everyone else.(OH YEAH BLOGG)
What is that?:waitasec:

I see it more of an on-line diary of sorts. There are some BLOGGERS who post their most intimate thoughts and details about their sordid lives.
Think of it like writing your daily journal, days events &/or what interests you in your life and then passing it around to strangers.

Thats my take on BLOGGERS.

PS: Some bloggers actually get paid for doing what they do as they bring so much traffic to the site.

I read a " blog" today of some teenager having saying her mother died and finfing out she killed her own mother!Or was going too.

God help us all! It concerns me!! what in this world to do!!!

Strange stuff for sure.

However, bloggers are the ones who received the credit for exposing Dan Rather's false-document-based "news" story on Bush during the election. I'm not sure which blogs were involved, but I remember reading that this was the way the truth came out.

So, in their own way, some of them at least do a service by helping to keep news people honest and accountable.

Jim
Author of How to Do Everything with HTML & XHTML,
2003 Osborne/McGraw-Hilll

I needed to know about BLOG before starting the New Year. Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to seek some out on the web or not. Have to admit I'm a little curious. Maybe I'm exposed & don't even know it?!? :confused: I feel safe here at Websleuths, so maybe I'll just stay put or I might get myself in trouble.
Thanks for your insight~Misty

Misty-Waves said:
I needed to know about BLOG before starting the New Year. Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to seek some out on the web or not. Have to admit I'm a little curious. Maybe I'm exposed & don't even know it?!? :confused: I feel safe here at Websleuths, so maybe I'll just stay put or I might get myself in trouble.
Thanks for your insight~Misty
Considering you'd be "reading" the blog, I suppose it would be safe enough-just find something that interests or edifies you.

Misty-Waves said:
Misty---waiting
BLOG - rhymes with GROG, a beverage appropriately consumed on New Years Eve - :waitasec: that's TODAY! Blog must be a beverage appropriately consumed on New Years Eve while surfing the net or posting silly messages on WS! Hic - let's have anodder :crazy:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson