Ramifications for PSU Football

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Thanks, WaltzingMatilda, for this link.

Raleigh native Buckley leaves PSU for NC State

WRAL Sports

"Raleigh, N.C. — NC State head football coach Tom O’Brien has announced that safety Tim Buckley has joined the Wolfpack football program. The Cardinal Gibbons High School graduate, who red-shirted last season at Penn State, will begin practice at the team’s first workout on Tuesday afternoon."

More at link (and sadly, more to come probably).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/psu-top-rb-silas-redd-220900916--ncaaf.html

Although the title is about Redd, it also has this news:

Penn State said later Tuesday that tight end Kevin Haplea was also no longer with the team. It was unclear where the junior, who started one game last year, was headed. And then, there is the case of Rob Bolden, the backup quarterback, who was dropped from the roster as well. LSU has shown interest in Bolden, but he's yet to choose a destination.........

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien and his staff have been working hard to keep the team together despite the sanctions. But Redd was his best offensive player on a team that will have a new offense patterned after the scheme run at O'Brien's previous employer, the New England Patriots.

O'Brien said last week at Big Ten media days in Chicago that he didn't anticipate losing any core players. It took less than a week for that to change.

Now, O'Brien may have to rely on a converted wideout, sophomore Bill Belton, to carry the load at tailback.

Of course, I have no idea what that last para. means, lol....

Transfers will hurt, of course, but the loss of scholarships will be dire. Talented athletes don't often have the financial means to walk on at a program, without the financial aid. The program will be crippled for years. Even when full scholarship levels return, that may only mean, for that first year, a good freshman class - two or three years till they reach peak performance. And the next year a good freshman and sophomore class. Devastating. Only in the third year after their return will the program possibly be fully competitive. And in those years between the loss and return of full scholarships - will PSU still be thought of as a place top athletes want to play, at a school whose record of wins and losses will suffer greatly? Unless it is, scholarship talent may be very mediocre talent indeed.

I'm kind of surprised by the juniors leaving, as I (probably naively) expected the sanctions to be a deterrent mostly to incoming players, and freshman/sophomore team members who perhaps haven't had time to build up more loyalty to the school.

Is this because pro scouts place more emphasis on the playing records of junior and senior recruits?

Whatever the reasons, I don't envy Bill O'Brien's position right now.

I'm kind of surprised by the juniors leaving, as I (probably naively) expected the sanctions to be a deterrent mostly to incoming players, and freshman/sophomore team members who perhaps haven't had time to build up more loyalty to the school.

Is this because pro scouts place more emphasis on the playing records of junior and senior recruits?

Two words, "Bowl Games." :) They have a chance to play, and be "discovered."

I can remember what a football scholarship was a method for getting talented, and intelligent, but financially disadvantaged, children a college education. Now, it is a weed out program for entering the pros. :(

Kicker-punter Anthony Fera latest to leave Penn State, transferring to Texas

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...r-tally-to-7/2012/08/02/gJQAsrpiRX_story.html

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Kicker-punter Anthony Fera is bolting Penn State for Texas, the second starter to depart Happy Valley this week following harsh NCAA sanctions against the program for the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Fera has submitted paperwork to enroll at Texas this season, said a person with knowledge of the decision who requested anonymity because Texas has not yet announced the move. Penn State announced Thursday that Fera was no longer on its roster.

Don't feel too bad for O'Brien, he's getting paid $2 million a year. :)

There was an interesting fact I read today in an article about Penn State's transferring players: of the nine players who have so far chosen to transfer to another program, none of them played their high school football in Pennsylvania.

It appears that some of the players who chose to remain may have felt more loyalty to PSU based on having grown up as a fan, or at least from having more familiarity.

Hopefully their decision works out for them, as I hope the decision to change environments works for those players who decided their best opportunity existed elsewhere.

Penn State Announces Changes to 2012 Football Uniform

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080712aaa.html

Thanks for the link BigCat! I am so glad coach is allowing the players' names on their jerseys and that they will have the blue ribbons on their uniforms. Kudos to O'Brien! It's the beginnning of a new era for PSU football!

When they take the field at Beaver Stadium for their 126th season, The Pennsylvania State University football team will wear uniforms featuring a blue ribbon to support all victims of child abuse. Also, for the first time, the names of each football player will adorn their jersey in recognition of their resolve and dedication to the team and the University.

wm

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/08/07/3290991/offensive-lineman-dorian-johnson.html

There was an interesting fact I read today in an article about Penn State's transferring players: of the nine players who have so far chosen to transfer to another program, none of them played their high school football in Pennsylvania.

It appears that some of the players who chose to remain may have felt more loyalty to PSU based on having grown up as a fan, or at least from having more familiarity.

While not a transfer, Johnson went to high school in Belle Vernon, in the Mon Valley, about 20 miles from where Sandusky grew up.

Nittany Lions lose two recruits

http://espn.go.com/college-football...nittany-lions-recruit-zach-bradshaw-decommits

Penn State lost two prospects Tuesday, including its biggest recruit to date since sanctions were levied against the program in late July.

Offensive tackle Dorian Johnson (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon), No. 27 in the ESPN 150 and a Penn State commitment since June, decommitted from the Nittany Lions on Tuesday evening, his coach, Aaron Krepps said........

Three-star wide receiver prospect Zach Bradshaw also decommitted and will transfer to Virginia..........

Bradshaw and Johnson became the fourth and fifth Penn State recruits to decommit since the release of the Freeh report.

The snowballing list of decommitments includes defensive tackle Greg Webb (Erial, N.J./Timber Creek), cornerback Ross Douglas (Avon, Ohio/Avon) and receiver Will Fuller (Philadelphia/Roman Catholic), who verbally committed to Notre Dame on Sunday. Webb recently committed to North Carolina, and Douglas switched his pledge to Michigan.

More at link.....

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/08/07/3290991/offensive-lineman-dorian-johnson.html

While not a transfer, Johnson went to high school in Belle Vernon, in the Mon Valley, about 20 miles from where Sandusky grew up.

I'm not surprised. Top recruits haven't made any real connections with the school yet, and a prospect like Johnson can go anywhere and make an impact without the struggles that Penn State will face over the next four years (and beyond).

What I expect to see during the sanction period are second and third tier recruits, who are a step below what PSU is used to in terms of ready-made talent, but who will see the appeal of getting more and earlier playing time (and thus exposure) than they would in choosing a school that the "bigger name" recruits will be attending.

No matter who plays...I will be watching.
And to show my support for the students, both on and off the field..my PSU flag will be flying.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back