VICTIM - Lisa Pate, 32, of Youngsville, LA (Theories)

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
826B1A13881DFB743C6749DD2D6B8909_292_292.jpg

KATC Lafayette, LA
July 18, 2012 by Tony Lacoste

In addition to being indicted for the murder of Mickey Shunick, a grand jury indicted Brandon Lavergne for Lisa Pate's murder in 1999. Pate, of Youngsville, went missing in June 1999...
http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-lavergne-indicted-in-second-woman-s-murder/

Acadia Parish Today
by Jeannine LeJeune

On the evening of Sept. 21, 1999, skeletal remains of a female were found in on Brigman Highway between the communities of Prudhomme and Pitreville, located in the northern part of Acadia Parish.

Discovered by the home’s renters about a month after moving in, Pate was identified through the work of Louisiana State University anthropologist Mary Mayheim and her team.

The Advocate
BY Jason brown
and richard burgess
Acadiana bureau
July 21, 2012

Pate’s remains were discovered Sept. 21, 1999, under some boards behind a home at 2290 Brigman Highway near Church Point in rural Acadia Parish, according to news reports at the time and an Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office incident report.
She had been missing for several months. The indictment on Wednesday listed the date of her killing as July 3, 1999.
http://theadvocate.com/news/3390194-123/acadia-grand-jury-had-looked

What happened to Lisa Pate?

Ok, so many people wanted LP to be recognized with her own topic. It would be a shame if we keep giving BSL all the attention and not the victims.

I was looking around on the internet for more info about her, but so far just found current articles. I'll poke around out there again as time allows. I want to know more about her. :rose:

Same here, only what's been discussed on the news and this site recently. I used to frequent her place of business but not around the time she worked there. I hope that some people land here who know her personally and would like to share.

There's so little information available online. I even paid for two articles from 1999, and they were just blurbs about her body being found and ID'd.

It is strange to think about Lisa's baby -- a baby girl, IIRC -- who was just a few weeks old at the time of Lisa's disappearance, being given up for adoption.

I don't mean that in any sort of judgmental way -- I can understand how it might have become a necessity and/or been viewed as the best thing, for the child, to do. (Also, I mean to throw no shadow on adopted children or adoptive parents or adoption in general by my commenting here.)

It just strikes me that the Mickey/Lisa cases, with BSL as the alleged perp, have these undercurrents of adoptions under strange and/or tragic circumstances that cause the mind to wander to some strange places. (Well, my mind, at least...)

She worked at a bar/nightclub so with that territory comes meeting a lot of people. Surely someone who knows her has some good stories to tell. I remember 1999. I had AOL and around that time, not a lot of people had the internet yet. It was nothing like today as far as the information available to the public. I'd like to see people come forward and tell some stories. I remember Farrah Fawcett passing away on the same day as Michael Jackson and she got overshadowed like anyone else would have. Its been all about MS which is fine, but now I want LP to have the same attention.

I hope that maybe someone can provide some more pictures of Lisa.

It is strange to think about Lisa's baby -- a baby girl, IIRC -- who was just a few weeks old at the time of Lisa's disappearance, being given up for adoption.

I don't mean that in any sort of judgmental way -- I can understand how it might have become a necessity and/or been viewed as the best thing, for the child, to do. (Also, I mean to throw no shadow on adopted children or adoptive parents or adoption in general by my commenting here.)

It just strikes me that the Mickey/Lisa cases, with BSL as the alleged perp, have these undercurrents of adoptions under strange and/or tragic circumstances that cause the mind to wander to some strange places. (Well, my mind, at least...)

I in no way am judging her either, but I do wonder...

The decision may have been made by Lisa herself prior to her death. If the baby was only a few weeks old, why else wouldn't she have been at home with it?

I have seen it stated that she was in treatment/rehab. Perhaps even jail for some time in 1998??? I do not know... Could the state have taken the baby away?

I don't think the baby was related to the paternal grandparents... it "sounds" like the paternal grandmother was caring for her boys... maybe it was a 1/2 sister?

Poor girl had it rough! I do hope someone can shed some light on her someday! LISA (not the baby...)

The few comments I have seen said she was a nice girl and really loved her kids.... :(

Just in case this hasn't been posted:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...Suspect-Mickey-Shunick-s-death-may-moved-body
Court documents filed Thursday reveal more about Pate’s case, noting that Lavergne met the woman in Lafayette Parish and either persuaded her to accompany him elsewhere or forced her to go with him. He then sexually abused Pate and killed her, according to the court filing.

Lavergne then “moved evidence of the first-degree murder and the body of Lisa Pate to locations with the intent to distort the results of the criminal investigation,” Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes wrote in court records.

So sad that Lisa went missing in June, 1999, no specific date is stated. If one of her children, that was living with paternal grandparents, had not had a birthday around July 3 there's no telling when she would have been reported missing.

Strange that whoever was caring for new baby girl did not report her missing. Maybe she was going to,or had already, put baby girl up for adoption (as suggested earlier).

So sad that Lisa went missing in June, 1999, no specific date is stated. If one of her children, that was living with paternal grandparents, had not had a birthday around July 3 there's no telling when she would have been reported missing.

Strange that whoever was caring for new baby girl did not report her missing. Maybe she was going to,or had already, put baby girl up for adoption (as suggested earlier).
I have a feeling LP had a habit of leaving the children with others and disappearing for periods of time, so no one knew when to expect her to come around. It's very sad, and it's the reason why many missing persons go unreported.

I wonder if the July 3rd date used on the death certificate caused problems for the state in the 2008 inquiry. Since it's the official DOD whether true or not, it might not have fit into a scenario with other evidence to make a solid case.

I have a feeling LP had a habit of leaving the children with others and disappearing for periods of time, so no one knew when to expect her to come around. It's very sad, and it's the reason why many missing persons go unreported.

I wonder if the July 3rd date used on the death certificate caused problems for the state in the 2008 inquiry. Since it's the official DOD whether true or not, it might not have fit into a scenario with other evidence to make a solid case.

Do you think,possibly, that BSL had an alibi for that specific date?

Do you think,possibly, that BSL had an alibi for that specific date?

Could be. Or, other evidence points to something happening on a prior day, but the death certificate doesn't support it. I dunno, but I have a feeling the discrepancies in the dates were a problem for the prosecution. How do you prove an event took place if you can't show when it happened?

Could be. Or, other evidence points to something happening on a prior day, but the death certificate doesn't support it. I dunno, but I have a feeling the discrepancies in the dates were a problem for the prosecution. How do you prove an event took place if you can't show when it happened?

True. I do not envy the job of a prosecutor. So many variables and discrepancies. I pray that they can prove beyond reasonable doubt when the time comes.

I wish we knew more details about Lisa Pate's life before her death.
Is Pate her maiden name? Was she married? Is Pate her married name? Was she living with a partner/husband? Her Kids? Was the adoption of her baby girl prior to her death or after? Have any of her friends/family/running buddies ever come forward to give information on when they last saw her? Did LP and BSL have any common friends or places just prior to her death?

The fact that her case was so suddenly included as murder charge to BSL now sure leads one to think that LE found "something" in the way of evidence. Hoping that a time line will unfold for her and that she will have justice for her death.

The Nancy Grace Show mentioned Lisa last night and the adoption. I tried to find out more about her online, and there was a mention but a dead link. Something about a dead husband?

I suppose we'll have to wait for the upcoming trial to learn anymore about Lisa Pate.

May she R.I.P.

I wonder if any of the local newspapers have thought to contact her family and see what information/pictures they have that might be able to shed light on Lisa Pate.

I feel like her story has been lost between the cracks as many often do...sigh

Somewhere in these threads, there is a post where the person posting says that BSL is the biological son of a woman who was a "barmaid". The barmaid terminology is not mine, it is in the post.

From what I understand LP worked in a bar. Is that correct?

Just trying to understand if there was some underlying animosity by the perp. toward women who worked in bars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back