The State's Case against Brandon Scott Lavergne

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
The Advertiser
August 3, 2012
by Claire Taylor

A grand jury indicted Lavergne on July 18 for the first-degree murder of Shunick and the first-degree murder of Lisa Ann Pate, 33, who disappeared from Lafayette Parish around July 3, 1999...

“… The continued tampering with the body of Michaela Shunick seeks to distort the results of the investigation,” Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes wrote as part of the discovery process in the case against Lavergne...

Lavergne has been a suspect in Pate’s death for years, but an Acadia Parish grand jury failed to indict him in April 2008. At the time, he was in prison for the April 1999 aggravated oral sexual battery of an Evangeline Parish woman...

Law enforcement obtained 36 search warrants in connection with the Shunick and Pate cases...
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120803/NEWS01/120803010/State-lays-out-plan-Shunick-Pate-cases?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

PDF Document Released August 3, 2012

I am curious why Brettly Wilson's name is not mentioned in this document. He was the last person to see her, he has been very public and he did confirm on Nancy Grace that he has been interviewed by LE. Why didn't LE include those interviews in the discovery document?

I am also curious why Trosclair was advised of his rights. Does anyone know if he was arrested? Advice of rights can also occurr when you are issued and invitation to appear before a grand jury, I think. But, it appears to be significant because it is included in the discovery documents. Maybe the media could get additional information from LE about this.

I was thinking about this document last night, and wonder if they really have any physical evidence of Mickey's death, or are just using the assumption that she is deceased (which I believe) due to the circumstances, i.e. possibly violent abduction, to never seen again. The way the wording is so close, often identical in both cases, makes me think they are trying to show a pattern, i.e. this is what happened to Lisa and she is dead, therefore the same thing happened in Mickey's case. One case being used to strengthen the other. I am not so sure they found actual physical evidence of Mickey at his house; but perhaps they did find Lisa's ID, and maybe even something of Mickey's.

Still, the way he went out of his way, literally, to destroy his truck, makes me doubt that he would have left evidence of Mickey behind in his house.

I was thinking about this document last night, and wonder if they really have any physical evidence of Mickey's death, or are just using the assumption that she is deceased (which I believe) due to the circumstances, i.e. possibly violent abduction, to never seen again. The way the wording is so close, often identical in both cases, makes me think they are trying to show a pattern, i.e. this is what happened to Lisa and she is dead, therefore the same thing happened in Mickey's case. One case being used to strengthen the other. I am not so sure they found actual physical evidence of Mickey at his house; but perhaps they did find Lisa's ID, and maybe even something of Mickey's.

Still, the way he went out of his way, literally, to destroy his truck, makes me doubt that he would have left evidence of Mickey behind in his house.

I agree, why destroy the truck but leave evidence in your house? it's not logical. Why go out of town to get medical attention but leave evidence in your house? Surely LE has answers for that. But those are my lingering questions.

I am curious why Brettly Wilson's name is not mentioned in this document. He was the last person to see her, he has been very public and he did confirm on Nancy Grace that he has been interviewed by LE. Why didn't LE include those interviews in the discovery document?

Look under "search warrants." there was a warrant for Brettly's home on Ryan street.

I agree, why destroy the truck but leave evidence in your house? it's not logical. Why go out of town to get medical attention but leave evidence in your house? Surely LE has answers for that. But those are my lingering questions.

The DWT was aired on MSM, but his house was not a focus at the time. Imo, BSL, thought his house would never be searched if he could extinguish the flames of suspicion by successfully carrying out the truck ruse.
BSL, was very brazen and was very confident in his calculating, deflecting, and cagey abilities. After all, this was not his first rodeo. He had outsmarted LE before, many times, imo.. BSL was a thinker.

The Church Point dumpster contained a treasure trove of incriminating evidence in Mickey Schunick's case, imo.

Look under "search warrants." there was a warrant for Brettly's home on Ryan street.

yes. But, why did they not include his statements as a line item? I think those should be two separate line items. Wouldn't his affidavit be a separate document from the search warrant of his premises? like BSL?

Perhaps forensic evidence he overlooked in his "clean up"? Hair in a dryer, blood spatter inside a phone cover ect ext. I hope its something as substantial as photos linking him to both women but doubt it. I think if he kept something it would not be obvious to the casual observer. I can't help but wonder if he was compelled to keep some "trophy" much in the way he is compelled to be a predator. It may defy even his own sense of logic and self preservation to possess items to remind him of the events. I am at a loss to think like someone so broken as BSL.

I've been away for over a week and I'm reading through this pdf. Holy carp - they have a photograph of a body? Do we know who it is?

ETA: I just realized it may just be Lisa's remains from the crime scene.

Sorry for the real-time commentary. But OMG I know people listed in 21.2.I!

Chicken, it looks like you were on to something with OnStar :)

I've been away for over a week and I'm reading through this pdf. Holy carp - they have a photograph of a body? Do we know who it is?

ETA: I just realized it may just be Lisa's remains from the crime scene.

megsy can you post what it says about this photo? I don't have time to read a 27 page article with med school starting up but that is very interesting! Is it in reference to the victims or to bsl?

Oh whoops just saw your edit. Thanks :) nvm

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

yes. But, why did they not include his statements as a line item? I think those should be two separate line items. Wouldn't his affidavit be a separate document from the search warrant of his premises? like BSL?

With regard to the MS case, it doesn't look as if any of the voluntary statements are listed as such. There had to have been dozens besides BW's -friends, family, persons who last saw or spoke with her. I'm thinking those statements were included in the Investigative Reports.

BSL is obviously not a genius but he is not an absolute idiot either. He has regretfully honed his "skills" and probably got a lot of advice/pointers while in prison.

I feel that he thought that he was really smart and had covered his tracks and was going to get away with his crime again. Because of this he may have felt comfortable in keeping trinkets close. He probably also thought that with so much press coverage that if LE suspected him that they would tip their hand and he would have time to get rid of anything in his possession.

As it unfolded, LE did an excellent job of not leaking his being a suspect. He had no time to hide the items he had close. IMO

With regard to the MS case, it doesn't look as if any of the voluntary statements are listed as such. There had to have been dozens besides BW's -friends, family, persons who last saw or spoke with her. I'm thinking those statements were included in the Investigative Reports.

From what I am gathering they basically are only talking about statements regarding Statements that Brandon had made to each of those individuals.

As much as we have grown to know and love him, his testimony might not be pertinant to the trial. The timestamped video trumps him as "last seen" I hope that poor guy isnt needed to testify. He has already been through hell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back